ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS and Chipset Driver info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midigark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS and Chipset Driver info
    Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:45pm
Hello all,
Sorry for not searching for finite details, I will do better in the future.

System
Corsair HX750 PSU
AB350M Pro4
AMD RYZEN 5 1600X
GeIL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Orion AMD DDR4 PC4-24000 3000MHz GAOR432GB3000C16ADC (new)
Hynix p31 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD on motherboard (new)
Hynix p31 500GB SATA on SATA III 6.0Gb (new)
WD 2TB Black Edition (new)
WD 1TB Black Edition (old)
EVGA GTX6600 OC 2GB Graphics Card (hand me down)

Keep in mind that with the original components in the system, it worked flawlessly out of the box until the SSD filled up.

This all started when we decided that her aging Samsung 970 EVO 450GB SSD was nearly full. The goal was to use an SSD adaptor in the spare PCIe slot to do the cloning. I forgot the second PCIe slot was disabled and that failed - of course.
Then I tried an external Sabrent NVMe M.2 to USB 3.0 case and it worked at USB 2.0 speeds - predicted 27 hours. (was probably a bad cable from Sabrent*)
I gave in when I saw the Hynix p31 500GB SATA drive on sale and completed the task in excellent time.

In the midst of all this, I started looking at BIOS & Chipset revisions.
Much to my dismay, they were all out of the box versions
BIOS 3.0
Chipset Driver - original install disk

I brought the BIOS up to 5.10 disregarding the comment about the Raven CPU. Then I noticed that later versions stated that the All-In-One driver package needed to be installed with no comment regarding CPU type. I don't have an AMD graphics device in the system or the CPU.

A.) Do I still need to install the All-In-One even though I have an NVIDIA graphics card?

B.) Is it safe to upgrade to BIOS Rev 5.90 without the All-In-One driver?

Next issue:
Regarding the AMD Chipset driver install package...
It faults out with an EVENT message that goes something like this...
Unable to find "C:\AMD\.....blah, blah, blah <some file>.msi"
And indeed, there is no .msi file.
Not in the directory path.
Not in the install package.
I tore the thing apart using 7-Zip and no ".msi" files.

Downloaded the chipset drivers directly from AMD, same problem, same fault.

I used some info to troubleshoot the system and SFC found an "overlap" error.
Fixed this by setting "C:\" sharing properties
SCF ran without errors.
I ran out of time right then and had to leave the system in operating, but a less than optimal condition.

I originally had the CPU overclocked to 4.1GHz and the previous memory (Balistix) at XMP settings.

However, I screwed up and forgot to check the CPU clock that reset to stock after the BIOS updates and memory is actually running at DDR4 2134MHz. But, that is not part of the current problem.

If the fixing the system files and sharing properties does not fix the Chipset installation problem, does anyone know of an alternate method of getting this done?
Thank you in advance...
midigark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midigark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:57pm
oops
* the Sabrent external USB 3.1 case worked on my computer with a new cable.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43066998
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 7:18pm
firstly
really unwise decision to flash bios if no issues are present with current bios really really unwise........
none the less
amd all in one is needed for the apus not for the normal ryzen cpus

next amd driver issues .......
ive made a habit since using am4 platform to do a full and proper uninstall of all amd stuff before using a new chipset or graphics driver

either use the amd driver uninstaller availble from amd direct

or as i do
download chipset installer to desktop
disconnect ethernet cable
add-remove programs uninstall all amd stuff
manually go into c drive delete the AMD folder
run disk clean up
reboot
run the chipset driver installer
reconnect ethernet

another tip for you from your comments
NEVER EVER FLASH BIOS with a cpu or ram overclock running (even xmp)
this muliples by far the chance of a bad bios flash and a bricked board
always hit set to defaults in bios before flashing bios files
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
midigark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midigark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:53pm
Thank you for the information.

Yeah, yeah, the old "don't update your BIOS..." is almost a cliché in today's technology. If you go back 10 or 20 years, the idea of flashing a BIOS brought fear into the hearts of many a computer owner and for good reason. Not so much today. I've NEVER bricked a motherboard or graphics card in over 100 builds and probably as many updates. Saying "don't upgrade your BIOS if there is nothing wrong" sounds so much like those noble folks out there that think keeping Windows up-to-date is like performing some satanic ritual that will surely cause your system to start crashing more often. I digress...
==========

True on all counts, but...when functionality of newer technology is in doubt, BIOS updates and Chipset drivers are some of the first points of troubleshooting.

Things like detection of SSD's, faster memory timings, improved memory support, improved CPU support, updated AGESA and overall system stability are always welcome enhancements.

I'll complete the series of BIOS updates for revisions 5.50, 5.80 & 5.90 and then attempt the described method for installation of the Chipset drivers.

Thank you for your time and the prompt response
Mark Farrell
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 10:33pm
30 years pf pc's myself
remember all that manually setting and/or clashing irq's etc

but i stick to what i said
if theres nothing broken ,dont flash a bios
even more so when i see numerous taichi x370 bios files fix one fault and make 2 more ........
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
midigark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midigark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 12:33am
I've been working with computers since 1977, 8-bit Z80
In 1979, I went to work for EMI Medical CT Scanner Div, USA and dove into Data General Eclipse line Mini Computers
S-200 16-bit Microcoded
S-130 16-bit Microcoded
Nova 820 16-bit State logic
Nova 4X 16-bit Microcoded
Repairing, programming
In the late 80', I purchased a Tandy Color Computer (8/16 bit 6809) and took a 40 hour class at Motorola on that same processor and product line. A couple of years later I started working with a 16/32/64 bit super mini used for image processing on a CT Scanner repairing, testing and discovering flaws in the build - there were several. I started working with PC's in the late 90's, building a working system from a trash bin rescue as were the first 3 PC's. After that, I started building from scratch. I'm on my 9th personal build and just completed my 150th build including work, family and friends. (The computer above.)

In general, I find that BIOS upgrades, like any other upgrades, are done for a reason. Fixes, features, stability and overclock ability. Many motherboards are sent out with BIOS's that are made from stock firmware modules that have been tested on other systems with the same general hardware or newer versions (like the 7xx,8xx,9xx AMD chipsets, with updates for features like USB 3.0, newer PCIe revisions, SATA speeds and so on. In this case, I was hoping for a USB 3.0 fix which ended up being a defective brand new cable, but it also expanded my memory timings (which I needed).

For the general at home user, avoiding BIOS updates - unless instructed to do it - is probably a reasonable standpoint. However, from my point of view, updates are updates and there for a reason.

I will proceed with the last three updates - 5.5 / 5.8 / 5.9 in the hopes it fixes a disconnect issue with the USB keyboard. Old keyboard G810 Orion tested in another computer, works fine. New keyboard G910 Spectrum does the exact same thing. This is new behavior and quite annoying.

peace
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 1:24am
Originally posted by midigark midigark wrote:

However, from my point of view, updates are updates and there for a reason.

This used to be true, up till Ryzen launched. Ryzen introduced all kinds of RAM
compatibility issues and in many cases, the updates were specifically to address
said incompatibility with a handful of kits. This is why we typically recommend
against updates (for general/home users) unless they are having a particular issue
that update was released to address. AMD really made a mess of things early on with
Ryzen which led to a near obsessive need to update to every new BIOS version for
many users. The problem was, they had a nasty tendency to fix issues with one kit
and break compatibility with others. It has improved tremendously since then but
its still not what it used to be. Updates now (particularly on AMD) are still
problematic and tend to break things rather than fix them for a lot of less
experienced users who don't know how to identify when an update is relevant to them.

It's always nice to have more veterans here on the forums, I hope you stick around
and enjoy our community
midigark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midigark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 9:10am
Thanks and understood.

As an edit to the list of reasons why BIOS's are updated in the first place...

"Fixes, features, stability, overclock ability, microcode updates and adherence to developing standards."

Updates to CPU microcode have lead to decreased core temperatures and more responsive memory timings, maybe not in RYZEN, but certainly in intel products.

I'm attempting to keep pace with the various RYZEN issues, but I am not actually a user. The system above is my latest build (going on 4 years old now) and for a budget build, it has been incredible.

So many of the parts I got were on sale or nearly free when purchased as part of a combo. One of those times when the system you build for someone else costs 1/2 of what it cost for your own personal system and the new one is at least 8 times as powerful. Of course, this almost never happens when you go to build a computer for yourself.

Last time for me was when I bought an Opteron 185 (Denmark) 2.6GHz dual core. NewEgg was clearing their shelves and were selling them for $195. I checked around 5 other major wholesalers and found no price below $580. NE sold out in record time.

This was a major upgrade from my 2.2GHz Athlon64 San Diego.
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 7:06pm
ooooh .. I ran an ECS K7S5a Pro back in the day .. I forget what CPU's I ran on it .. that was one of my 2 or 3 kills I've done .. screw driver slipped when installing the heatsink and damaged a trace on the motherboard ..

I'm a BIOS updating whore .. and I've only bricked one setup, and that was 10-15 years ago now .. ?

I recommend putting the BIOS file on one of your drives in their root directory instead of using a flash drive and then update via "instaflash" tool in BIOS..
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
midigark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midigark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:23pm
On older systems, I'd agree with you.

Never use a BIOS network live update. lol

I find the newer (2010ish) motherboards have very good BIOS USB Stick flash capabilities.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic