ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

W10 21H1 install on B550 TW prompts for driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 608xperience Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W10 21H1 install on B550 TW prompts for driver
    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 7:11am
Greetings.

I recently bought a system with a B550 TW motherboard, RX 6700 XT Challenger 12G GPU and Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. I downloaded the current Windows 10 21H1 ISO from Microsoft and booted to the installer. Unfortunately, the Windows installer complains that it is missing a required driver. The ASRock AAM4D-12 driver DVD does not seem to make the installer happy, as it does not find any suitable drivers for the device in question.

Where can I get the necessary drivers to enable Windows to install from a generic Windows 10 ISO? It's very disconcerting to discover that the ASRock support site makes no mention of the B500 TW anywhere.

Cheers,

Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
608xperience View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 608xperience Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 11:35am
Problem was resolved by rebuilding the W10 installer USB with Rufus in a W10 VM. The original USB boot disk was created with dd under macOS. While it booted fine, Rufus writes the stick differently than dd does and, for whatever reason, Windows prefers one over the other.

Weird.

608xperience View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 608xperience Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 11:39am
P.S. - Shout out to Al for pointing me in the direction of a useful Reddit post that described the exact same problem on a different mobo.

P.P.S. - ASRock, please add the B550 TW to the web site. I've checked on both global and Japan-specific sites and there's literally no mention of it. I don't know whether the board is OEM-only or what, but it's very disconcerting to try to get support for a product that appears to not exist. This is my first ASRock product and the lack of presence of the motherboard anywhere on the site does not give me confidence.

zzu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:07pm
I ran into the same problem on B450-promontory.

weird, huh...
zzu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:09pm
while using gnome-disk-utility for .ISO image writing to USB-stick.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic