ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NVME Drive not recognized in BIOS, or W10 Installe
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

NVME Drive not recognized in BIOS, or W10 Installe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrokenNVME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NVME Drive not recognized in BIOS, or W10 Installe
    Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 5:25pm
My PC Froze (and had a few error messages which I clicked through without really reading, to my detriment). When I tried to restart the PC, it went to "Please Wait" blue windows screen. After a 5+ minute wait it would go to the windows login screen, completely blue with no accounts to choose from. It had the date and time, and once clicked it went to full blue with the power option at the bottom right.

I couldn't get to the advanced options menu, even by crashing windows 3 times in a row.

I then used a windows USB Tool to access Command Prompt and windows did recognize the drive, but I wasn't able to try to fix it because it said it was "read only", even though I couldn't successfully clear this attribute using diskpart in CMD. I also couldn't clear this using regedit. I was able to transfer some files from it to another internal HD using CMD so the drive wasn't completely dead.

Finally I gave up trying to get the drive back, so I went to reinstall windows on it using the USB Windows Tool. However, although windows recognized the drive, it couldn't format nor delete the partition. I wasn't able to find a solution, and I also couldn't clean the partition using the clean commmand in diskpart in CMD.

I was at a complete loss of what to do, and then found the NVME Sanitization option in ASRock BIOS and saw there was an option to format the drive. I chose that option, and now I've completely lost the drive as BIOS doesn't recognize it, and neither does the USB Windows Installer.

My problem now is that I can't get anything to recognize the NVME M2 drive.

The computer worked successfully for around 6 months so I know it's not a compatibility issue.

Here is PC Specs: 3700x, RTX 3080, ASRock B550 Steel Legend, SN550 500gb NVME, 2 TB extra HD.

At the last stage, I've removed the second internal HD so the NVME is the only connected one. I've also messed around with the Secure Boot, tried various recommended options in Bios, updated bios, etc but to no avail.

I also have no ability to test the NVME in a different computer. After 8+ hours I've almost lost hope. Any help would be great.
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 4:03am
My first thought would be to use another PC/laptop to search the NVMe SSD's manufacturer site and look for a firmware upgrade. Some NVMe drives have firmware updates available, and some do not.

If that fails, I would research the manufacturer's warranty. It may be that your drive has just failed and needs to be replaced. If the part is warranty, you will have some downtime, but at least you won't need to order a new SSD.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic