ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Taichi Windows 10 shows no drives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Taichi Windows 10 shows no drives
    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 11:29pm
Hi guys,

I've just finished my new build but I cant get Windows 10 to work. At the start of the installation it cant detect any of my connected drives. I've tried loading all drivers from the disk that came with the motherboard, even downloaded new ones from the Support page but nothing seems to work. It always complains "A media driver for your computer is missing. [...]"

What I have done so far:
- Updated BIOS to v4.40
- Booted in/out of Secure Boot Mode
- Disabled CSM & tried UEFI/Legecy only

I've got 3 hard drives connected, one NVMe to the upper most port and two SSDs connected to SATA_3_1 and SATA_3_2. The drives show up in the BIOS tho. When I try to boot from my old windows disk it just hangs in "Getting devices ready" and resets eventually.

The funny part is, I installed Linux first onto the NVMe and everything just worked out of the box.

Does somebody know how to fix this or has a SATA driver that works?
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:20pm
you don't need a SATA driver apart from what windows provides .. how are the drives formatted?

Do you see the drives in the disk management tool?
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
comfix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

you don't need a SATA driver apart from what windows provides .. how are the drives formatted?

Yeah that is exactly what I would think, but you never know.
Normally it should not matter which formatting has been done previously.
But to be thorough, there was a normal Windows install on it. I killed the disk header by dd'ing the first 8MBs, but that did not help.
The NVMe has a GPT with Arch on it.
The third SSD is completely blank at the moment (dd'ed it with zeros completely)

Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

Do you see the drives in the disk management tool?

I dont know wthat exactly you mean by "disk management tool".
All those drives are confirmed working.
I rebooted to BIOS and made sure every drive shows up in the Security section as well as Tools -> SSD Cleaning tool (or whatever its called)

When I boot a Windows installation media, I am greeted with this message box after clicking on "Install now":

If I cancel this dialog and hit rescan, it errors out with "No drives found"
comfix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:58pm
As the other image is not working, here the same picture:

RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 9:29pm
Windows does not need drivers to install. If zeros are written to the disk it must be initialized for Windows to see it.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 11:52pm
this is not something silly like
windows thinks you want to install the disks in raid
so wants the raid driver is it ?

OTHER THAN THAT ID SUGGEST MAKING A NEW WIN10 MEDIA CREATION TOOL USB
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
comfix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 2:42am
Originally posted by RLGL RLGL wrote:

Windows does not need drivers to install.

As in a previous reply stated, I am aware of this. Normally the installer should bring generic drivers for everything.

Originally posted by RLGL RLGL wrote:

If zeros are written to the disk it must be initialized for Windows to see it.

As far as I know this isn't true because windows reads/writes block devices.
How should it prepare a disk initially then when its fresh out of the factory if it is true what you are saying? There is no partitioning scheme on a new disk. And in fact I used spare disk [with ext4 on them / previously dd'ed with zeros] and just reformatted them using the installer on numerous other machines.

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

this is not something silly like
windows thinks you want to install the disks in raid
so wants the raid driver is it ?

I did not configure any RAID in BIOS (just double checked, there is none).
The RAID driver is an optional one on the disk. I tried loading in in hope of it working but it didnt.

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

OTHER THAN THAT ID SUGGEST MAKING A NEW WIN10 MEDIA CREATION TOOL USB

Cant do this. I have no working Win10 machine at the moment, the old one died unfortunately. I've downloaded and written the ISO from Microsoft's download page, this should be fairly identical in results ignoring the WIM/ESD thing.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:49pm

Originally posted by comfix comfix wrote:

As far as I know this isn't true because windows reads/writes block devices.
How should it prepare a disk initially then when its fresh out of the factory if it is true what you are saying? There is no partitioning scheme on a new disk. And in fact I used spare disk [with ext4 on them / previously dd'ed with zeros] and just reformatted them using the installer on numerous other machines.

Writing zeros to a disk and formatting are two different things. If you are using Windows to format, one does not need to initialize it. This is how they come "out of the box".
To write zeros to a disk, one must use diskpart, a utility that is run from the command line. This will leave the disk "clean" and without a file structure.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

comfix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 4:56pm
Okay I got some news, I re-imaged my USB with a newly downloaded ISO and that did work. It recognized the drives and installed fine until the reboot. After that it just froze at "Getting devices ready: 89%" and the rebooted again, with it now being stuck in a boot loop. This was solved by disabling all devices on the mainboard (Wifi/Ethernet/HD Audio). Windows then errored out saying the installation was not successful and I should try it again, which I did. This time it worked.

I installed all drivers from the ASRock Support page (Intel Wifi, Chipset, HD Audio) but when I tried intalling the LAN driver it couldnt find the ethernet controller (which is expected).

I went ahead and enabled Ethernet again which resulted in a boot loop again. With enabling Wifi this does not happen. With both being enabled Windows was booting successful again but did not show me any Ethernet controllers except the Bluetooth one.

Now I tried installing LAN drivers but this time while trying to start the installation stating "Please wait" my computer just freezes up and reboots after about 30 seconds. This is reproducible however.

For now I am going to contact official support and my reseller. If you guys have any clue whats maybe going on let me know.
AtomicPlayboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicPlayboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 12:24am
I found this thread hunting for an issue with my system and to see if later BIOS releases fixed it.

My system was one of the original ones built, as such I have upgraded through every BIOS revision for the X570 TaiChi that has every been released. When I went form 3.8 to 4.0, I lost all my hard drives. I played with enabling and disabling resizable bar and the like, but I could find no setting configuration that would bring back my NVME drives with BIOS 4.0 As such I made notes in my logs and reverted back to version 3.8.

I believe BIOS 4.2 had a note on it that you would not be able to revert back if you installed that version. Accordingly before I move forward I'm looking for someone who has had this issue and solved it with the 4.XX series of BIOS. I want to avoid installing a BIOS version that disables my HD's to further be unable to roll back the BIOS to the last know good BIOS 3.8.

TLDR; Install BIOS 3.8 and I would expect you will be able to see your HD's again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic