ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to boot to USB and install OS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepBlueSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to boot to USB and install OS
    Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 2:45pm
Hi,

I've got a newly build PC with a ASRock 570 Taichi motherboard. Latest BIOS (P4.40) installed, and BIOS defaults set.

Whenever I try to boot to USB to install an OS the system reboots.

I've tried multiple OSes now, and all get the same result.

What I'm doing exactly:

a) I hit F11 on start up
b) Select the UEFI USB device
c) Then one of two things happens depending on which OS I'm trying to install.

Windows - The system just reboots
Linux - I initially get the Linux Boot menu, but no matter what I select, the system just reboots.

I'm creating the boot drives with Rufus. I have no issue booting to the same USBs and installing OSes on other devices.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:48pm
CSM enabled or disabled?
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
DeepBlueSky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepBlueSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 10:07pm
Tried both, and no success with either.

I also have secured boot disabled.

Sorry, should have mentioned that in my opening post.

DeepBlueSky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepBlueSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 1:25pm
I fixed it.

The solution was to have ram in the A1 slot.

A friend had initially installed the wraith cooler with the 'AMD' logo positioned in a way that it made inserting ram into A1 impossible. I flipped the fan around, installed the ram in A1, and all is good.

The documentation I have indicted that one DIMM should work in the A2 slot, so I didn't expect this to fix it.
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 2:36am
One word of caution with RAM and the X570. The RAM XMP profiles do not always function correctly. I encountered crashes/reboots when the RAM was under stress (heavily loaded). I disabled the XMP and that resolved the problem. I then slowly worked on finding RAM settings that were close to the XMP values and that kept the system from faulting.
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Khun_Doug Khun_Doug wrote:

One word of caution with RAM and the X570. The RAM XMP profiles do not always function correctly. I encountered crashes/reboots when the RAM was under stress (heavily loaded). I disabled the XMP and that resolved the problem. I then slowly worked on finding RAM settings that were close to the XMP values and that kept the system from faulting.
That's more dependent on your CPU's IMC and then Quality of the RAM itself.
I run 2 x 16gb kits of RGB and non-RGB HyperX Predators on an X570 Taichi (RGB stuff) and an X570 Steel Legend (non-RGB stuff). The XMP rating for both is 3200 CAS 16. Both run splendidly at XMP (with 3700x,3800xt,3600x,5600x,and a 5800x), but .. I run the memory on the Steel Legend at 3600 CAS16 1.368v (5600x & BIOS v3.70) and on the Taichi, 3733 CAS16 1.374v (5800x & BIOS v4.40)

Your spreading FUD with generalized statements that are just.. well.. FUD exemplified by the lack of details in your "findings".
-What CPU are you using?
-What X570 board are you using?
-What BIOS revision?
-What Memory are you using and size?
-What Power Supply are you using?
-What type of cooling are you using?

Edited by ThreeDee - 24 Jul 2021 at 1:00am
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 3:21am
In no way am I spreading or disseminating FUD. The BIOS section of the forum is riddled with people that have memory problems when using XMP. You should do your research before you think others are propagating anything other than helpful advice. And since you asked for details:

Motherhboard X570 Creator
BIOS 3.50 (latest)
RAM Corsair 3600 (2 X 32 GB kits of 2X16 sticks), all matched
Cooling 240MM AIO
CPU Ryzen 5950X
PSU EVGA Supernova 850 P2

Bear in mind that there was no trouble with XMP on the older 2.0 BIOS, and the older 3950X CPU. But to use the newer CPU I need the newer BIOS. No way is the PC stable with XMP enable. Best I can get on that BIOS is 3400 / 1700. And I always use the recommended memory voltage of 1.35 volts. Under memory stress the XMP just causes app crashes or complete BSOD.

I needn't explain anything further to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic