ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

3090 / 3060 stable. 3060 / 3090 unstable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CryptoRecluse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3090 / 3060 stable. 3060 / 3090 unstable
    Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 1:23am
Hi all

Motherboard is a ASrock 570 PG velocita

amd ryzen 5800

1200w powersupply

Founders edition 3090. Has upgraded thermal pads, I've underclocked it to be SURE its not temp, and it runs perfectly fine when its in the first slot. With 3090 in the first slot I can overclock both cards.

3060 evga xc. hdmi cable plugged into this typically.

on windows

I want to have the 3060 in the top slot, and the 3090 under it. But doing so is not stable, it will lock system up and crash if I launch any kind of rendering.
I am assuming that my issue is that my 2nd pcie slot on the motherboard does not support the 3090, period. I know a bit, but not enough to know if thats the issue.

Running render benchmark in gpuz crashes system with 3090 in bottom slot and 3060 in top slot. 3090 *solo* in 2nd slot will also crash system.

Next 2 screenshots are of this setup (3060 in top slot, 3090 in bottom)

https://i.imgur.com/Y5iEW9A.gif

https://i.imgur.com/RkR3THa.gif

With 3090 in top slot and the 3060 in 2nd slot the system is stable, for days.
Issues are that PC does not display bios on boot, and it seems to be detecting the display once windows actually gets to the desktop as it goes from a blank screen like the monitor is not plugged in straight to windows login. If I have cable plugged into the 3060 on the bottom, bios and windows loading screens display normally. Its like it thinks the 3060 is the primary.

Next 2 screenshots are of 3090 in the top slot, 3060 in bottom.

https://i.imgur.com/xPeahsW.gif

https://i.imgur.com/uw5sIoz.gif

Help me Obi Wan.
CryptoRecluse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CryptoRecluse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:09pm
I should note here that I am using an m.2 drive which I'm told uses 4 pci lanes and that it could be possible thats not leaving enough lanes for the 3090.

However, it does not explain why if I put the 3090 in the bottom slot by itself and do not install the 3060 the machine still becomes unstable.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:45pm
I would stick with the 3090 in the top slot. As for the BIOS displaying issue, you
can try clearing CMOS and seeing if that makes it default to the top slot (3090).
If not, it isn't really a huge issue, you can always connect the display to the
3060 if you need to enter the BIOS for whatever reason. If your main use for the
system is rendering then you can just connect the display to the 3060 full time,
it won't effect render performance. Even gaming, if you have the 3090 selected
as your primary it should pass the signal through to the 3060.

Otherwise take a look through your user manual and see if there is a display
priority setting in there. I don't know off hand where you would find it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CryptoRecluse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:52pm
Unfortunately I can't. The 3090 needs to be "separate" as its being used for electrical simulations.
Someone mentioned that the m2 drive takes 4 lanes, and that the 2nd pcie slot is where it gets those from, so by putting the 3090 in the lower slot im maxing out those lower lanes and that may be causing my issue. I don't know enough about m2 drives to know if thats correct.

They recommended I connect on the cards via a riser and see if thats stable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CryptoRecluse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 7:53am
Connected the 3060 to a riser today. The vers009 model.

Machine refuses to boot, so I unplug the card, still refuses to boot. I unplug the riser. Still refuses to boot. I wound up having to clear the cmos in order to get the machine to start properly.

Played with the gen settings on the pcie slots, switching things to gen 1, but I'm not entirely sure of the settings and what I did did not have any effect at all.

If anyone knows what these should be set to for the riser, I appreciate the help

https://i.imgur.com/wGdZHBS.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic