ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Anniversary/G3258 BIOS Startup display

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Anniversary/G3258 BIOS Startup display
    Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 6:08am
I just installed an Z97 Anniversary MB with a G3258 processor.  Everything seems to work as advertised except...the initial screen display from the BIOS is missing most of the information in the lower left hand corner of the screen.  All I get is half of the first  line "Press D to Disable" the rest of the stuff like Press F11...etc. is missing.  I had this same W10 system and the same G3258 processor in a Z97 Extreme6 MB  connected to an HP 25vx monitor via the same HDMI cable and it worked with no issues.  Any idea on what the heck I stumbled into this time would be appreciated?!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 2:28pm
I have never, ever, seen that before!

Have you used the Z97 Anniversary board before now? Are you using an OS installation done with a different processor than the G3258? Or is this a fresh installation?

The G3258 does not use the same integrated graphics type as other Haswell processors. I recall needing to find the Intel graphics driver for the G3258, which is not the same as other Haswell processors. But it now seems Intel has combined the driver for the G3258 into their main graphics driver installation program.

If you are using an old Windows installation on the same board, but changed the CPU to the G3258, you must install the video driver again. It will then install the correct driver files for the G3258's graphics.

I hope you cleared the BIOS/UEFI after changing CPUs, if that is what you did.

Frankly, we need more details regarding what you did with the board and processor you are using. New Windows installation? Just a processor swap? Either way, did you clear the BIOS after the CPU swap, IF that is what happened?

Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 6:04pm
Tried clearing CMOS and reloading the BIOS Defaults and that had no effect. 
Just to clarify the issue a little - the "boot" instructions that appear briefly when an ASRock MB is booted appears for a fraction of a second on this Z197 Anniversary MB and then all but half (horizontally) of the first line is cleared (more like the bottom third of the display is blanked).  Everything else as best as I can tell works as it should.  W10 v1511 is OK.

Here is what I did to get to this point.
Old History:
Installed this G3258 in a Z97X Killer MB several months ago.
Replaced the G3258 in the Z97X Killer MB with a Xeon processor.
All kinds of strange things went on with W10 until I did a fresh install!

Current History:
Installed the G3258 in a replacement Z197 Extreme6 MB.
Installed a fresh copy of W10 v1511.
System ran for one day and then the SATA controller went amok.
Returned the MB to ASRock.
Bought a new Z197 Anniversary MB from Micro Center.
Installed the Z97 Anniversary MB in the system that had the Z97 Extreme6 MB.
Installed the G3258 in the Z97 Anniversary MB.
Loaded the Default BIOS settings.
Updated the Intel INF settings in W10.
Ran system for several days and thought everything was OK.
Noticed the strange happenings at boot time when I went to test the USB boot for Macrium Reflect.

All the BIOS boot keys work it's just the initial display that only shows the instructions for a fraction of a second.  I will try installing a Video Card and see what changes if anything.  I will also try using a DVI cable with the Video card.

Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 7:33pm
 A little more information:
Installed an MSI 560 TI video card.  Boot up display did not change - same issue the boot key directions in the lower right hand corner of the display get erased almost immediately.

Switched Monitors from the HP 25vx to a Samsung monitor.  No change in behavior.

Changed the "Set up Boot Delay" in BIOS from 1 to 5.  That kept the boot key instructions on the display for ~5 seconds.  However, the MSI video card stopped working on the next reboot?!  Probably because the HP monitor said it was going to sleep - waiting for the PC to respond?!

Switched back to the MB video port and reset the "Set up Boot Delay" to 1.  Am now back to where I started. 

Edited by Ken429 - 07 Feb 2016 at 7:36pm
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:24am
Since I'm not getting a lot of help - I called ASRock Customer Technical Support and he said he'd get back to me the next day but that was over a week ago.  So...I'm getting used to little glitches with the ASRock MB's!  I just turned off the boot display in the BIOS and that makes all SEEM ok - I don't have to look at the missing bottom third of the screen during boot up.
One more question - does the Z97 Anniversary MB had a sensor for the Vcore?   HWiNFO does not show one.

Edited by Ken429 - 22 Feb 2016 at 5:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic