ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Fatal1ty won't boot code 07

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblackmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Fatal1ty won't boot code 07
    Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 4:16am
I had an X399 Fatal1ty that was working just fine until about 6 weeks ago when it just flat out died. No lights, nothing. So I RMA'd it, and got the replacement MB a few days ago. I installed the CPU (2950x), fan, two working RAM modules into slots A2/B2, the GPU (Gtx 1080 Ti), and PSU Corsair AX 1600i. It basically hangs on error code 07, which I found is RAM related, and shuts off. I have tried:

reset CMOS
remove battery for an hour
re-seat CPU. I did that several times. I looked for bent pins and didn't find any
tried numerous RAM slots

all with the same result. I tried re-flashing the bios. It was shipped with 3.8. I tried to reflash that, but after the button stopped blinking it stayed lit, which the manual says means the flash didn't work.

Now, all of the RAM works in my Designare TR4x, and it worked in my prior Asrock board. I think this might be a bad board that again has to be returned. Any insights would be very welcome.
jblackmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblackmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 7:55am
Also, when I power it up, there's a slowly flashing red light coming fom under that silver cover to the right of the PCIe slots.I have all three power cables connected. It's a brand new PSU.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 5:33pm
Clear CMOS with the battery removed and power disconnected from the PSU and leave
it like that for 5 mins or so. Then connect it all back up and power on. Leave the
system on for 10 mins and see if it gets around to posting. I had a similar issue
with my X399 Phantom Gaming 6 and 2950x, I tried all kinds of things and thought
something was wrong until I got a call I had to take and when I came back it was
booted. If that doesn't work then try reseating the CPU again and make sure you
follow the instructions (can be found online) regarding tightening the screws
down etc. These TR sockets are a bit fiddly.
jblackmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblackmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 1:08am
I have done all of those steps. But since you were kind enough to answer, I did them again. The thing about my problem is that when it gets to code 07, it stays there for maybe 30 seconds and then just shuts down. So unlike your case, I can't just leave the power on. It shuts down.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 5:30am
I imagine you found the same things I did searching it on google, update BIOS,
check the CPU is properly seated, clear CMOS etc. Is it possible the CPU may have
been taken out when the old board died? If you have the option it may be worth
seeing if it POSTs in another board/system.

As for the BIOS update, make sure you follow the flashback instructions exactly,
if the flash drive isn't formatted correctly (FAT 32) and the files are not
extracted into the root directory it will fail.

Good luck.

Edited by Xaltar - 07 Sep 2021 at 5:30am
jblackmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblackmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 6:45am
It certainly is possible. I followed the bios flashback instructions to the letter. Formatted FAT32, renamed the file creative.rom, etc. I sent a note to Asrock. I don't happen to have a spare TR4 board to test on. I have a TRx4 in my other rig, but the 2950x is not supposed to work on that platform. They may come back and say that the 07 code points to the CPU, in which case I'll rma that. When I remove all of the Ram, the error code is 10. And it's not like when I power it up, it just shows 07. It does cycle through some other codes, then stops at 7. I would think that a CPU issue would not let it fire up at all, but since I've never had a dead CPU I can't say.

I know that the RAM control is in the CPU. So it may well be the CPU is bad. However, I tried flashing the bios without the chip even installed, and it doesn't complete the flash. It also doesn't complete the flash with other bios versions, whether the chip is installed or not.

I'll wait and see what Asrock says. If the send me another board, and it does the exact same thing, I'll RMA the chip.

When my last board died, and I did some online research, I came to the conclusion that the X399 platform is just problematic and bad. I mean, if it was a good socket why did they immediately replace it in the next gen TR's? That's not usually done for a few years. I had the rig running for about a year. That may have been luck. While it was down, I got a replacement board on Ebay that didn't work. The Ebay guy sent me another one which also didn't work. Admittedly, I took the rig to a computer shop to replace the motherboard because I figured replacing a motherboard is just busy work. When they couldn't get either board to fire up, they convinced me into a TRX board. A costly repair. I was sort of kicking myself for being "duped," and was very confident that when I got the RMA board I'd be able to get it to work, but no dice.

I can tell you this much: when I finally do get the board and chip running, I'll sell them as a set on Ebay and be totally done with X399. I was considering building a new rig around it when I got it going, but it just seems too unreliable and I wouldn't want to depend on it.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 3:40pm
I would say you just got unlucky. I have had my 2950x system running 24/7 for years
without a single hiccup. I use mine for some pretty intensive render work, often
stressing all 32 threads at 70-100% for hours on end. That said, I can completely
understand not wanting to stick with something that has given you so many headaches.
In the case of X399 (and any HEDT system really) there really isn't any benefit
in building a system around them unless you plan to utilize the feature set.
Something like an R5 3600 will outperform them in gaming and other less threaded
tasks anyway.

Good luck and let us know what the issue turns out to be. I suspect a dead/marginal
IMC on the CPU, it would explain your previous headaches too if it has always
been borderline.   
jblackmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblackmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 7:11pm
That's basically how I was using my board when it died. I do some pretty intense rendering as well, and have been running 4 GPUs through the rig. It was working just fine until it wasn't. It may be worthwhile to RMA the chip, to cover all bases.
jblackmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblackmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 8:01am
I spoke with technical support. They where likewise unclear on what the issue is with the mb. But I will say this about the folks at Asrock: they definitely stand behind their product. They offered that I return the MB and my CPU, which they could test on other boards. How's that for service?! I may just do that!

But in the meantime, I initiated the RMA process for the chip. I figure I get an RMA chip, and see if I can get it to work on the RMA board. If I can, great. If I can't, I would send the board and chip back to Asrock and see if they can get something to work for me.

Even with all of the hassle of the last few weeks, two big thumbs up for Asrock's customer support!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 1:44pm
That is great to hear. I have always had pleasant dealings with ASRock's tech
support. It's one of the reasons I agreed to be moderator here. Let us know how
it goes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic