ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

M.2_2 drive keeps disappearing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M.2_2 drive keeps disappearing
    Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 3:41pm
I have an ASRock B365M Pro4 motherboard &a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVME for the OS & programs. I just installed an EVO Plus 1TB in the M.2_2 slot to use as D: storage drive.

Initially it worked & I was able to copy a few files to it from an EHD, but the next day I could not copy to it and kept getting Error 0x800701B1. I tried different USB ports & another EHD but to no avail.

I rebooted the PC and the D: drive no longer showed up anywhere, including in disk management.

The next day I re-seated the M.2_2 memory & when the PC powered up a message came up saying it was fixing a problem. It took only a few seconds & the D: drive then appeared. Everything worked & I copied some more folders to the drive.

The next day (today) when I turned on the PC the D: drive was not there again.

I didn?™t make any changes & rebooted the PC & a message came up saying something about a stop problem & I should make a note of the error code. It also said it was repairing a problem. This caught me off guard & came & went so quickly I wasn?™t able to read the whole message let alone write down an error code.

But everything is acting normal & the files I previously copied to the D: drive are still there. Bios does show both M.2 slots have the Samsung drives.

Any idea why the M.2 D: drive disappears for no apparent reason? Defective drive or mobo?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
The_Nephilim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Nephilim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 9:51am
I would check and see if a BIOS update corrected this behavior if it was something in BIOS causing it.. it could be a defective drive have you run the HEALTH report on it?
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 11:00am
I thought about doing a BIOS update but did not. The ASRock website said don't do it if you are not having a problem. Since the C: drive did not have a problem with an EVO Plus in it I was thinking the BIOS has to be working OK. I figured a BIOS update would be my last resort.

Everything has been working OK since that last error message & that a problem was being fixed. Wish I knew what was being fixed.

I also updated the Samsung driver to a new version.

What Health report should I run?
The_Nephilim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Nephilim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 1:27pm
well before a BIOS update check the readme and see if you have a problem listed in what they fixed. if nothing pertains to you you do not haqve to update if it did not fix and issues you may be having..

Sasmung Magician should have where you can check the health of the drive..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic