ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 - Crashes after wake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 - Crashes after wake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 - Crashes after wake
    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 12:58am
Hi Guys:

- X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 board
- Ryzen 9 5950x
- RTX 2080Ti
- Corsair SF750
- Team TForce 64G RAM (2x32G RAM DDR4-3200 16-18-18-38 1.35)

The first mobo I got from Amazon had a serial number D9.. and took more than 60 seconds to show me the first post message. Would constantly reset my BIOS settings and when it went to sleep, would not wake up (no display). Looks like this is an issue for many people which was usually fixed with a replaced motherboard. Things I tried
- reseating the RAM multiple times
- reseating the GPU
- Swapping in a SF450 from another build
- Swapping in DDR4 RAM from another build
- 4Hour+ Memtest86 checker with no errors
- BIOS to 3.2 and downgrade to 2.8

I got a replacement from Amazon, this with a E1... serial number and 2.80 BIOS. The long boot time is gone. Yay! Boots in 15 seconds. The sleep problems remain though. This time it is worse. Long press of powerbutton does not do anything. I have to physically switch power off at the PSU!! Things I tried
- Latest AMD chipset drivers
- NVidia studio drivers
- TB3 driver from ASrock
- Disable USB Selective Suspend and PCI Link power management
- BIOS to latest 3.20 and downgraded to 2.80

I really badly want the TB3 port (my current Intel Skillcanyon NUC has a TB3 port and the TB3->SFP+->10GigE works great with my 10GBe NAS). In addition to coding work I use it for Photo/Video processing so the TB3 link becomes super useful.

I did file a support call with ASRock but wanted to see if any of you solved a similar problem or have ideas for me to try.
jujji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 1:30am
ASRock Support asked me to reset bios, set RAM to XMP but downgrade to 2666MHz (instead of 3200) and run with just one stick of the TForce RAM in B_1 slot. This did not change anything. Will not wake up after sleep. They recommend that I return the board for RMA.

I don't want to RMA and wait for the replacement. After 2 bad boards in a row, might as well return it back to Amazon and try some other brand. However, not wanting to lose the TB3 (As it is not easy to fit a SFP+ card for 10GBe in my NCase M1), I tried a different 2666MHz RAM from Crucial and hah! Problem fixed!! No issues waking up after sleep even when sleeping overnight.

Reading some more, this is likely some issue with the CPU voltages not able to wake up with 3200MHz ram. The Crucial RAM runs at 1.2V as opposed to the 1.35 of the TForce XMP. I don't know enough about tinkering with voltages to see if I can make the TForce XMP work and am waiting on support to guide me on which settings to try.

Since Crucial worked great, I'll try the Crucial 3600MHz RAM as well and see if this board likes it.
jujji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 3:29am
Well, few days later, the Crucial (non XMP) 2666MHz RAM did not fix the motherboard. Occasional crashes after wake. Returned the board to Amazon and switched to a different brand ITX mobo with a 2.5Gbe port. No crashes so great but such a disappointment missing out on the TB3->10Gbe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic