ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change AHCI to RAID on new Z590 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellg99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change AHCI to RAID on new Z590 Taichi
    Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 12:54am
I just upgraded from a Z97 Extreme4 to a Z590 Taichi and I'm having trouble changing from AHCI to RAID.

On the old mobo, I had a RAID-1 volume that was built with the Windows version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST), with UEFI, and SATA Mode set to RAID.

After installing the new Z590, the settings are the same except the SATA Mode is set to "Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration (RAID Mode)". However, when it boots up, I get a blue screen with error code 0xC000000D.

If I boot to Recovery and run diskpart, it shows no disks at all. However, if I then use pnputil.exe to load all the new mobo drivers from a USB drive, then diskpart can see all the disks. But I get the same blue screen when I do a normal restart again.

The only way I can boot to Windows 10 is to change SATA Mode to AHCI. But then it breaks the RAID-1 volume, and the Windows version of IRST aborts on startup with the error, "An unknown error occurred..." (presumably because it's not in RAID mode).

I found instructions for changing the registry by setting the "Start" values under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV (and several others) to zero, and then changing the SATA Mode, then booting into Safe Mode, and then booting back into Normal mode. However, I never make it that far, because after I change back to RAID mode, I get the same blue screen again and can't get into Safe Mode without changing back to AHCI.

What's the best way to change a working system from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows?

Thanks,
Russell
russellg99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellg99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 12:15am
I'm the OP. I wanted to add that when I was on the ASRock Z97 Extreme4 mobo, I was able to change from AHCI to RAID *after* installing the OS. But now that I'm on the Z590 Taichi, it won't boot unless I change it back to AHCI.

Here's what works on the Z97 board - I even tested it again to be sure:

• Install or restore the entire boot volume to an empty MBR drive.

• Convert the drive from MBR to GPT using mbr2gpt.

• Change the BIOS settings from Legacy & AHCI to UEFI & RAID.

• Boot into Windows 10.

• Run Intel RST from within Windows to create a RAID-1 volume.

However, after changing to the Z590 Taichi board, it's the same but I get a blue screen error when I try to boot into Windows, and "diskpart" (run from a Recovery command prompt) can't see any disks until I load the drivers with "pnputil.exe".

Something is definitely different between the two boards but I can't figure out what to do to load the driver just before booting into Windows.

I know I could do a clean install of the OS but I'm looking for a method to switch to RAID mode on an existing drive, like I could with the Z97 board.

Thanks,
Russell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic