ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x570 Gaming ITX/TB3 mATX, BootLoop AMD 5600G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al-kibir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x570 Gaming ITX/TB3 mATX, BootLoop AMD 5600G
    Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 8:22am
AsRock x570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 mATX, Graphics on Board using a Ryzen 5 5600G or Similar.
Very Important. No panic. Contact support both at AMD and AsRock. In my case I needed a Ryzen 3 3200G to complete Bios Update. Direct flashing from a file in a USB FlashDrive won't work. Read further.

Board would only go into a Boot Loop with a black Screen. No Post Screen nothing. Before I went and spent money on new CPUs, Transport costs, etc, I contacted AMD Europe who kindly sent me an Emergency CPU, a Ryzen 3 3200G, to be able to Update the Bios. Then AsRock Support in Europe sent me some instrutions to Update the Bios properly.
The Bios has two sections. An Upper and a Lower. With Direct Flashing using a file read from a Flash Drive using the Bios itself and using the Ryzen 3 3200G, only the Upper section was being Updated. A common problem with Boards which now support Ryzen 5 5600G but before did not!
To update the whole Bios one has to create a Bootable Flash Drive With some Files one has to Download from AsRock. The files are based on a Shell with a Prompt Command line. We also get a scrypt file to load the Bios File and instructions even on how to ammend this file to accomodate the correct or desired Bios version.
AMD and AsRock were very helpfull and open. They will gladly help. Without them I would have had difficulties, although if we read properly through the Bios Update pages at AsRock we can find the solution for the problem.

They are experts at support and very quickly we get through the Update.

After successfull update with the 3200G I rebooted and changed the Bios to Default parameters. Switched completely off, including Power Supply. Then reinstalled the Ryzen 5 5600G. Rebooted and waited a few minutes. Patience is important here. It might not reboot straight away. Switch off and Reboot again. Then I had the Bios working and installed the New OS. Thank you AsRock and Thank you AMD for the solutions.
Do not panic just contact Support. Good Luck.       
Al-kibir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al-kibir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 8:23am
Here are the Instructions I received from AsRock.... But do contact them in case I forgot minor details. the Mentioned .pdf file I cannot upload here. Ask AsRock for it.

The BIOS is divided in an upper and a lower part, and when the system starts, the BIOS determines which CPU is used, and loads either the upper, or the lower part of the BIOS, depending on the CPU that is in the socket.

When you update the BIOS, you must have at least a Matisse CPU, otherwise only the lower half of the BIOS is updated.

When you insert the 5600G, it uses the upper half, and this is not updated, that is why it probably doesn't start.

There is a workaround, but you have to use the EFI Shell command line

https://download.asrock.com/TSD/Ryzen5000/X570%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXTB3.pdf

And now comes the tricky part, you must work with the command prompt

The ROM file of BIOS version 2.60, is called X57TB3_2.60

The ROM file of BIOS version 3.20, is called X57TB3_3.20

And you have to edit the NSH file which is basically a EFI batch file

This is the content of the BIOSUPDATE.nsh file::

echo -off

B16

if %lasterror% == 0 then

echo Update BIOS for Picasso and Pinnacle.

AfuEfix64 X57TB3_2.60 /p /b /n /k /l /x /ATR /CMD:{TOP16M} /RLC:F

AfuEfix64 X57TB3_2.60 /p /b /n /k /l /x /CMD:{BOTTOM16M} /RLC:F

else

echo Please use Instant Flash to update BIOS.

Endif

And this is what it should be::

echo -off

B16

if %lasterror% == 0 then

echo Update BIOS for Picasso and Pinnacle.

AfuEfix64 X57TB3_3.20 /p /b /n /k /l /x /ATR /CMD:{TOP16M} /RLC:F

AfuEfix64 X57TB3_3.20 /p /b /n /k /l /x /CMD:{BOTTOM16M} /RLC:F

else

echo Please use Instant Flash to update BIOS.

endif

+

Once you saved it, the BIOS update command line should update both lower and upper BIOS to 3.20, and your 5600G CPU should work.

One thing:

Before you update, please use only 1 memory module, and reset the BIOS to default settings by pressing F9, and save it with F10, and let it boot into the BIOS by pressing F2.

Then run this efi SHELL tool, as described in the PDF.

I have tested this several times, and this way you can force the update of both lower, end upper half of the BIOS, without using a Matisse CPU.

One last thing.

You must have a monitor, keyboard and mouse connected, and must have some patience, because the first time, the boot process can take a bit longer, and can take several retries, just be patient.

If it fails to work, switch off the PSU, and keep the start button pressed down for 30 or so seconds, and then remove the BIOS battery for about 5 minutes and place it back, this will do a factory reset, also date and time can be wrong.

If you still cannot get it to work, I would suggest to contact the seller for warranty.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic