ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Gaming K6+ new 2.10 bios is crap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Gaming K6+ new 2.10 bios is crap
    Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 8:20pm
Yesterday I tried update new bios 2.10. Oh, my mistake. After flash I loaded default setting, rebooted and set all settings from scratch. I set OC the same as in older bios (look at my signature). My PC (win 10pro) became totally unstable. I reverted back to bios 2.00 and my PC is running again. I have to say, that almost all versions asrock bios on my MB are buggy. I have another problem with PC start after power loss (when PC is off). When power is back online, PC begins to start (even when off is set in bios), but I only hear ventilators, monitor is black and PC is still in this state. Or PC is normally starting for few seconds, and then shut down and then start again. I tried 2 different PSU, same behaviour. But after first succesfull start up PC starts normally everyday without problems, till next power loss.
Intel 6700K@4,6GHz (+70mV), Z170 Gaming K6+, 16GB Corsair 3200MHz 2T
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 8:34pm
Remember, without knowing what changes were made in a newer BIOS revision, your carrying over the same changes from one revision(2.00) may not work on the newer one(2.10).

Can I ask why you updated to 2.10?

Your computer rebooting twice is normal and working as designed. Instead of me again typing out(plagerizing) the whys, please read redduc900's post #5 below. He's explains it short and sweet. And too, notice the date it was posted.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/725971-Boot-has-two-false-starts?p=7399937&viewfull=1#post7399937

Edited by wardog - 11 Feb 2016 at 8:35pm
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 8:59pm
Oggy, you win for the best thread title of the week Smile

About booting after a power outage, I noticed the same behaviour.
If the computer is on and I lose power, I want it to stay off when the power returns.
Instead it tries to boot up but fail then goes off again.

I would understand the need for double boot if I was the one triggering the startup.

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
Oggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 9:04pm
Thx for reply. I updated because of new microcode and hope, that other problem (for example freezing UEFI in fan-tastic setting) are solved. But it seems things getting worse. And I think it is not normal when same OC in one bios is stable and in other bios versions windows cannot start. Double boot is not problem, problem is starting after power loss, even it is disabled in bios and strange frozen state with black screen and power led diode shining. But there are few nice things too. Headphones output is very clear without any hiss or buzz.
SuperMario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 9:26pm
Thanks for the alert. I will not upgrade to 2.10 :)
GripS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GripS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:06am
Running it just fine here with my previous overclock settings with no issue. Make sure you are not OC'd when updating BIOS. Also make sure you adjust the VCCIO, VCCSA manually (I use 1.10 for VCCIO and 1.15 for VCCSA). Currently running 6600k at 4.6ghz at fixed 1.32v and G.Skill TridentZ DDR 3200 16 GTZ at 1.35v. I should note that I had no boot, no post issues until I MANUALLY set VCCIO voltage to 1.10 with ram above 3000mhz. YMMV of course.

Quote Can I ask why you updated to 2.10?

Since the Z170 chipset is relatively new, It makes sense to run the latest BIOS when they become available. While I understand the 'don't update bios if your system is running fine'  line coming from a motherboard manufacturer (decrease RMA's), if done properly there's very little risk involved, especially with most motherboards having a backup bios available like this one does. 

Edited by GripS - 14 Feb 2016 at 10:14am
Oggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 4:07pm
GripS

Good for you. :) My MB set automatically VCCIO and VCSA a bit higher than your manually setting is (1.15 and 1.25V). I ran 6700K at 4,6 GHz with offset 60mV now. I have not enough courage to try it again. I will wait for next bios version.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Oggy Oggy wrote:

Yesterday I tried update new bios 2.10. Oh, my mistake. After flash I loaded default setting, rebooted and set all settings from scratch. I set OC the same as in older bios (look at my signature). My PC (win 10pro) became totally unstable. I reverted back to bios 2.00 and my PC is running again. I have to say, that almost all versions asrock bios on my MB are buggy. I have another problem with PC start after power loss (when PC is off). When power is back online, PC begins to start (even when off is set in bios), but I only hear ventilators, monitor is black and PC is still in this state. Or PC is normally starting for few seconds, and then shut down and then start again. I tried 2 different PSU, same behaviour. But after first succesfull start up PC starts normally everyday without problems, till next power loss.

Originally posted by peroni peroni wrote:

Oggy, you win for the best thread title of the week Smile

About booting after a power outage, I noticed the same behaviour.
If the computer is on and I lose power, I want it to stay off when the power returns.
Instead it tries to boot up but fail then goes off again.

I would understand the need for double boot if I was the one triggering the startup.

Just thought I'd mention that everyone does not think the thread title is good.

Personally, I feel a title like that immediately makes the author's credibility questionable. If that's the best that can be done for a thread title, then what will the content of the post be?

For example, we have "I tried update new bios 2.10... My PC (win 10pro) became totally unstable.". The only follow up is, "I reverted back to bios 2.00 and my PC is running again.".

What is unstable? BSODs? If so, what error(s)? Lockups or freezing? Or something else?

Your CPU OC consists of setting the multipliers to 46, with the CPU VCore set to Offset mode, with a +70mV offset, right? Otherwise all default settings?

Did you verify that the VCore and VID was the same at load with the new UEFI that it was with the previous version? Are you sure that all the default settings are identical to those of the previous UEFI version?

What is the purpose of the 2.10 UEFI version? From the Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ UEFI download page description for UEFI version 2.10:

1. Update CPU microcode to 0x76.
2. Remove SKY OC function.

The two items are related to each other. The purpose is to change the CPU microcode to a version (0x76) that stops the Sky OC feature. Any UEFI options related to Sky OC would also be removed, as they are now useless.

Do we know this new microcode from Intel is not affecting our CPUs in other ways? Could this new microcode be causing some or all of the stability problems you seem to have?

The CPU microcode that is part of the UEFI/BIOS file is not changed/updated with every UEFI/BIOS update. If the microcode is not changed in a UEFI update, it is left alone, or the "current" version is used again with the new update.

Notice in this case, that changing to the version 2.00 UEFI, does the following:

1.Update microcode to 0x74.
2.Improve DRAM compatibility.

My point is, if you change to UEFI 2.00, you no longer have the 0x76 microcode in your system, you have the 0x74 microcode.

It is unusual for two adjacent UEFI updates to have different microcode versions. That allows us to compare the two microcodes with very few if any other changes in the UEFI besides the microcode. I have never been able to do that with any mother board I've used to build a PC.

Do I know positively that the 0x76 microcode is causing the problems you seem to have? No.

Do I know positively that the main difference between the 2.00 and 2.10 UEFI versions is the 0x76 microcode? Yes.

Do I know that the next UEFI versions for all of our Z170 boards will have the 0x76 microcode? No, not positively, but another microcode change so soon?

It may sound strange, but I hope the microcode change is not the cause of the problems you have. That's because if it IS the cause, all the owners of ASRock Z170 boards (I am one) will probably have similar problems because we too have a UEFI update that has the 0x76 microcode. Ouch.

The automatic start after a power loss, with the Restore on AC/Power Loss option set to Power Off is a problem, if the PC was in the Shutdown state when the power loss occurred. That seems to be the situation for Oggy and peroni. Was the Deep Sleep option set to its default value?

Where I live I very rarely have power outages, and I've never come home to one or more of my PCs running that were shutdown. Usually the default value of this option is Power On.

Oggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 2:49am
I used several motheboards during my life. And only my Asrock has kind of buggy bios. As I wrote, it has some very nice feature. Driving 4 and 3 pin fans is great feature. Sound output is very clear. M2 NVME SSD is working well, USB3.1 front panel is nice with fast ports (166MB/s to USB3 HDD). But these bugs are flaws on this beauty board.

Deep sleep is default BTW. In older bios than 2.00 a had Deep sleep on, but in 2.00 I have to set it off, because PC did not boot properly (started, but not with OC settings). Same settings and 2.00 working fast and stable, 2.10 not. Win 10 pro 64bit starts, but crash after while or  do not start at all. I have choose OC 4,6GHZ,  manually set offset 70mV and VCCIO 1.2V and loaded memory XMP profile, other OC choices are in AUTO mode. It is true, I did not check all values if are the same. Just some. My fault. I will save it before next update. This update I will not try again.

Edited by Oggy - 15 Feb 2016 at 2:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic