ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacednow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
    Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 5:18am
Any insight appreciated. I broke it. It's a Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 MB with a 1600AF processor (latest 5.10 bios). Will a ruined Ryzen prevent anything else from happening?
I've had it several months, and I was going to try advanced OC settings a bit so I opened it up to add an aftermarket cooler and a PCI card for another internal USB 3.0 connector. After I'm done with it, I get no response from anything. The only thing that happens when the PS is flipped on is a the red light on a USB camera hooked to MB port. No error beeps, no fans (case,processor or video card) even start to spin. No response from the monitor (which is a TV hooked to HDMI on graphics card). Only other thing is the TV will go off (built in) screen-saver if the 24 pin power connector is plugged into the board hot, but it doesn't find a signal... I've eliminated the PS, and the case switch (on button). And triple checked the obvious - processor power connection, pulled and reinserted the graphics card. So will a damaged Ryzen processor make a total dead zone, or is it likely the MB. At least on the older hardware you could get error beeps if nothing else - although I've NEVER gotten a bad board or processor, I've damaged processors afterwards - but you get an error beep then.   
More details - I used the thermal paste that came with the processor, and I couldn't get it to twist free- I've had stuck ones before, but not like this. When it finally gave it came out with the processor still attached. I don't see any missing or bent pins or other damage though. I went ahead and put it back together, but I also rerouted wires and the connector to the onboard 3.0 USB and PS were both very stuck - the onboard USB connector came off with the wire, but I was able to push it back over the pins (again no sign of damage). The bad part is this MB hangs over about between 2 to 3 inches of the stand-off supports, so with that USB and power connectors on that outside edge the board that could of done the MB in with flex.   
    I've built more than 20 PCs on the old AMD platforms and have loads of older parts, but it doesn't help any with a Ryzen platform because so little interchanges.
   Other info - Win7 on NVME(boot drive-triple boot with 10 and 11 on SSD's, 16 G Gskill memory with other attached HDD,s, a Biostar graphics card, DVDM drive, a multi card reader, 650w PS.
    With the prices now I can't afford a new MB and processor - I bought this stuff mid 2020, less than $400 for entire build.
The more you learn the less you know.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 9:00am
if it doesnt power up, then you wont get any beeps
most likely cause for such behavio is that you got some short somewhere
to rule out bad CPU, remove your CPU and try to start your PC, if fan kicks in, then something wrong with your CPU or mainboard socket
if it wont power up (no connected fan spin up), then you gonna do breadboarding
spacednow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacednow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 2:37am
Did that- breadboard. It's toasted. Nothing, I already tried without the cpu and nothing happens, jumped the start pins to check the switch, cleared COSMOS, triple checked the Power supply, Even tricked the supply with a jumper to kick it on...the only thing I ever get is the red lite on the camera plugged into a USB port on the back of the board, and the monitor goes off screensaver and starts looking for signal if you hot plug the 24 pin connector. Kills me none of the fans even jump then stop......
   I ordered another Motherboard and processor......I'm pretty sure the MB is toasted, now the question is do I risk another board by trying the processor in it? Cost me $125 for a replacement..Keeping the same board to hopefully keep activation valid. Got a ryzen 5 3600 coming from amazon for $225. It's unreal, paid $85 for a 1600AF (pinnacle ridge version) 17 months ago, now they want more for them used than what I got a new 3600 for.
   I did see an open box pro4 board for $50, tempted to order it to try the prossor that might be toasted in. I could sell it if it's good and make some decent money back. Wife is already really pissed now though....
spacednow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacednow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:41pm
To answer my own question. A bad Ryzen Processor can keep make a motherboard completely dead. I cancelled my new B450 and ordered a B550 with a R5 3600. Breadboarded it with the 1600af (I know, not officially supported, but it is a Zen+). No response of any kind from the new board. So I put the R5 3600 in, It booted up and everything was good. Got some jibberish about TPM change...but it's OK. So I took the 3600 and put it in the other board..booted OK also. I have to admit I'm shocked it did. I baked it TWICE, it didn't work after the first time so I baked it on the other side and still nothing flipping it after it cooled the first time. I had been afraid to try the 3600 in it, I didn't want another toasted item. So now I'll have a spare B450 and the trash can will gain a ryzen 1600af....BTW, I had grabbed an old 770 extreme 3 from my stash, it wouldn't boot, I baked it once and it worked...I was totally shocked. Went through my other old stuff, I had a 9400GT that wouldn't work, baked it and now it's working also. AMAZING... propped on tinfoil balls on a cookie sheet, 385 F for 8 minutes. Never thought that it would really work.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 10:47pm
Baking parts can sometimes bring them back to life, though almost never permanently.
In rare cases it can cause a bad solder joint to reflow and be a permanent fix.
More often than not however, when something works afterwards it will just die again
hours, days, at most weeks later. This "works" in cases where there is physical
damage to a chip, microfractures, and heat causes it to expand, temporarily forcing
the gap closed and allowing current to pass again. In many cases the item will
cease to function again as soon as the part is fully cool again. In some cases
however the flow of current through the fracture can cause a conductive buildup
that may persist longer. Unfortunately, with expansion and contraction of the chip
the microfracture will grow over time and once more break connection.

The "oven trick" can be a lot of fun with old dead parts. More fun still is learning
some board level repairs and getting things working properly again. It's even
more rewarding and satisfying.

Just a caution about baking components; it can cause some very harmful chemicals
to off gas into your oven, a lot of which are quite toxic.   
spacednow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacednow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:00am
Yeah I know about the fumes. I turned on the vent and didn't notice any though. The 9400GT always had problems causing sudden blue screens...but it was working when I put it away. The 770 Extreme 3 was also working when it was put up. I achieved my personal best OC on it, and it has some sentimental value. I lost most of my computer hardware (and 5 running Towers) in a house fire. There was very little of anything that survived the fire, so I was really glad it came back. I will probably throw a tower together just for fun. I probably wont ever return to work and retirement funds are gone, so I need something to play with. I was just shocked it really worked, and the fact that double-baking a good B450 board didn't ruin it - although some of the sticker labels rolled up :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic