FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:13am
I'm pretty sure it's the setting. Those BIOS OC settings aren't guaranteed to work and the higher you go, the more likely your system becomes unstable or even unable to boot. If you put some work into a manual overclock, you should be able to reach higher stable OCs than with the BIOS OC settings, but there's no guarantee your system is overclockable by any certain percentage.

If you want to learn about overclocking your Phenom II CPU, Dolk's guide is probably the best place to start:

http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-phenom/

I'll help with what I can, but I would like to know the following details:

-Which 990FX motherboard do you have?
-What CPU cooler do you use?
-How have you arrenged your case fans?
-Is your Phenom II a black edition (BE) CPU or a "plain" Phenom II X4 960T?
-Which PSU do you have?
-How many memory modules does your system have?

Some of the programs you might want to use while overclocking:

-CPUIDs HWMonitor
-Prime95
-CPUIDs CPU-Z
-AMD Overdrive
-RealBench v2.41

P.S. Your GPU probably does bottleneck your system. If you are looking for an FPS increase in games, you probably won't get any noticeable increase by overclocking the CPU. You should either overclock your GPU, which could give you a relatively easy 10% increase, or then get a new GPU
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Maples01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maples01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:20pm
The graphics card is old, could be bottle necking it, what would be a better card that doesn't cost over $100?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 1:13am
25% was obviously TOO high.

Hold out for PetrolHead here to discover and reply. He has IIRC an 1100T. I skipped that generation and although it's basically the same for manually OC'ing he has the knowledge on Phenoms.
Maples01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maples01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 6:18pm
I used the bios OC tool, 5% had been working for weeks, so I went 25% and after a few hours my monitor went into sleep mode, I wasn't even able to turn it off using the button on it, had to pull its plug, the restart button on the pc was useless, had to hold down the power. Thinking it was the monitor, I tried another, no signal, I turned off my power source, and pulled the CMOS battery, gave it a few minutes before reassemble, and powering it back up, it came on fine. Not sure the issue, I went into bios and dropped it back to 5%, was it the setting, and is it due to my video card being old? I have a Phenom ii x4 960T, I opened it up to 6 core without an issue before, the card is a Geforce 9600, I've yet to see another even remotely like it, as it has 2 dvi and HDMI, along with a large heatsink.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic