ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maples01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:38am
OK, AMD overdrive I slid it to 3200 MHZ, thats what I meant about catalyst.
What would be a good base clock, nothing heavy, just a base setting, since it's suggested not to use the boards percentage OC program, I mean it only crashed at 25%, yet had been stable for days at 5%? OR should I just pass up OC as I'm not really doing anything with it, I'm not a heavy PC gamer, have a console for that?
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 6:21am
Apologies for the delayed answer.

1. Having your fans on auto is fine and probably explains the temperature being similar in Prime95 and web browsing and doing other stuff. While your CPU cooler seems to be more than enough to cool the CPU at your current settings, please remember that you should also monitor the socket temperature, which is probably a bit higher.

2. Using the BIOS OC is probably fine when using the 5% setting. There's no guarantee that it's stable, but there's a reasonable chance it is - and you can check it using Prime95 and RealBench. Is it worth using? That depends on what the settings actually are. Sometimes those BIOS OC settings set the RAM to very low speeds - probably in an effort to make life easier for the memory controller - which may not be what you want if you are doing some of the (few) things that RAM speeds actually has an effect on.

Based on what you've told, I'd skip using AMD Overdrive altogether and run the CPU on stock BIOS settings apart from the core unlock feature. Those two extra cores should already give you a nice performance boost for video editing and in gaming your CPU is not really a bottleneck at the moment. If at some point it starts to feel like you'd like to get even more out of your CPU, you can then look into overclocking in more detail. Start with the link to Dolk's guide I provided earlier and just google anything you'd like to know more about. You can of course try the BIOS OC settings as well, as something higher than 5% may also work (remember to test for stability). Just remember that if you decide to overclock, you should be willing to put some time into it, even if you're not trying to push your system to the limit. Slow and steady will give you the best chance of ensuring stability.

P.S. If you want to upgrade your GPU on a budget of 100$ or less, I'd consider getting an AMD Radeon R7 250X or an NVIDIA GT 740. There are different versions of each from different manufacturers (with varying prices), so you should spend some time looking at reviews, youtube videos and comparing specs so that you'll know what you're getting. Availability may also be an issue. In general the R7 250X should be better for gaming while the GT 740 will consume less power.

Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 3:32pm
Honestly, when it comes to GPUs you are better off purchasing something second hand rather than a new GPU for that budget. The R7 250x and GT 740 are both more expensive than their actual performance would warrant. When buying a new discrete GPU there really isn't any point in looking at anything less than an R7 360/260 or a GTX 750 from a value/performance standpoint. Picking up a decent used HD 7850/7870 or GTX 660/760 should cost around the same and offer significantly better value. I would go for the GTX 660/760 however as they are less likely to have been used for bitcoin mining.  
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 6:06am
Xaltar definitely has a point. If you are willing to buy used, you'll have access to better performance for the same amount of money. New or used, just make sure you have some idea of what sort of GPU fits your needs and your current hardware (power consumption, required power cables, the amount of memory the GPU has, the physical size of the GPU etc.). 
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic