ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maples01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 990FX
    Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 6:18pm
I used the bios OC tool, 5% had been working for weeks, so I went 25% and after a few hours my monitor went into sleep mode, I wasn't even able to turn it off using the button on it, had to pull its plug, the restart button on the pc was useless, had to hold down the power. Thinking it was the monitor, I tried another, no signal, I turned off my power source, and pulled the CMOS battery, gave it a few minutes before reassemble, and powering it back up, it came on fine. Not sure the issue, I went into bios and dropped it back to 5%, was it the setting, and is it due to my video card being old? I have a Phenom ii x4 960T, I opened it up to 6 core without an issue before, the card is a Geforce 9600, I've yet to see another even remotely like it, as it has 2 dvi and HDMI, along with a large heatsink.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 1:13am
25% was obviously TOO high.

Hold out for PetrolHead here to discover and reply. He has IIRC an 1100T. I skipped that generation and although it's basically the same for manually OC'ing he has the knowledge on Phenoms.
Maples01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maples01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:20pm
The graphics card is old, could be bottle necking it, what would be a better card that doesn't cost over $100?
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:13am
I'm pretty sure it's the setting. Those BIOS OC settings aren't guaranteed to work and the higher you go, the more likely your system becomes unstable or even unable to boot. If you put some work into a manual overclock, you should be able to reach higher stable OCs than with the BIOS OC settings, but there's no guarantee your system is overclockable by any certain percentage.

If you want to learn about overclocking your Phenom II CPU, Dolk's guide is probably the best place to start:

http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-phenom/

I'll help with what I can, but I would like to know the following details:

-Which 990FX motherboard do you have?
-What CPU cooler do you use?
-How have you arrenged your case fans?
-Is your Phenom II a black edition (BE) CPU or a "plain" Phenom II X4 960T?
-Which PSU do you have?
-How many memory modules does your system have?

Some of the programs you might want to use while overclocking:

-CPUIDs HWMonitor
-Prime95
-CPUIDs CPU-Z
-AMD Overdrive
-RealBench v2.41

P.S. Your GPU probably does bottleneck your system. If you are looking for an FPS increase in games, you probably won't get any noticeable increase by overclocking the CPU. You should either overclock your GPU, which could give you a relatively easy 10% increase, or then get a new GPU
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Maples01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maples01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 5:06am
I was given the Phenom by a friend, can't remember if it's black or not, he told me it unlocks to 6 core tho, it's the 990 FX Killer, I installed the large coolmaster CPU setup, the case is the CM Storm Scout, fan in the back, the front on the hard drives, and in the top, the temp reports are always below 40, I had the CPU  monitor stuff. I just had to reinstall windows 10, kept getting disk error, somehow there was corruption, hope it isn't the M.2 harddrive. 
I've not started gaming on it yet, I'm just toying with the setting on it, trying to see how far I can push it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 8:31am
Does the BIOS give you the option to increase the multiplier for the CPU clock speed directly? If not, then you don't have a BE. It's not a big issue, just makes overclocking a bit more involved. What you will be doing is increasing the FSB clock speed while decreasing the multipliers for CPU, CPU-NB and HT. Which multipliers and when depends on which way you want to go first. CPU clock speed is king, and the other clock speeds can be considered secondary, but for example Dolk leaves the CPU clock speed last, if I remember correctly. But before we start:

Your motherboard's VRM section should be able to handle some overclocking without extra cooling. It has a nice looking heat sink (the one that says Killer) and it's advertised as having 8+2 phases, although it may be that it's just a doubled 4+1. However, I've no idea how large a margin you have in reality, so I'd still consider even 10% a risk. It's advisable to use a smaller spot fan to provide airflow over the VRM heatsink - the more you OC, the hotter it will become. In fact, your VRM section may be running hotter than normal already. Your CPU had a TDP of 125 W to begin with and the fact that you have unlocked two extra cores means that may have gone past that (although the X6 has the same TDP). I'm assuming your larger coolermaster setup for the CPU is a tower cooler. This may be fine for the CPU itself, but it's also one more reason you need to consider extra cooling for the VRM section.

Considering the temperatures, there are two you need to monitor: The CPU temperature listed under the CPU in HWMonitor (sometimes labeled "package") and the CPU socket temperature listed under the motherboard in HWMonitor (usually labeled CPUTIN). For the Thuban generation of Phenoms, the CPU temperature should not exceed ~62 C, while the CPU socket should be okay as long as it stays below  ~70 C. The 40 C you have seen may be a good value or a bad value, depending on what you were doing on the computer when it occured.

By the way, disk corruption can occur if you have an unstable overclock. It can also happen slowly over time, even if your computer is stable enough not to crash. This is why it's a good idea to stress test the system properly when overclocking, although it should be said that stress testing isn't very kind on your system and can be harmful in itself - especially if you don't take your time when overclocking. I don't know if your previous overclock is the cause for the disk corruption, but you should be aware that something like this - or worse - can be the result when you overclock.

You should begin your overclocking by establishing a baseline for your system. Start with stock settings (keep the two extra cores unlocked, though), run HWMonitor and then run Prime95's Blend test on six workers. Keep an eye on the two temperatures I mentioned. If either one gets close to the figures I've stated, stop all workers immediately and report back. If this happens, there's an issue with your system's cooling. If the temperatures seem to level out at safe values, let the test run for at least a couple of hours. If everything runs great, make a note of the temperatures and post them here. If you lose any workers due to an error before two hours are up, you're not providing the CPU enough voltage. This is something I'm actually half expecting to happen. That X4 CPU of yours is basically a Thuban generation X6 that has failed AMD's tests, so it may be that all six cores won't work as well as they should on stock voltages.

In short:

1. Understand the risks.
2. Don't forget the OC affects other components as well, especially the VRM on your motherboard.
3. Determine a baseline before you start.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Maples01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maples01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 5:17pm
This is bios 5%, if I understood it all, I would OC myself, but I'm pretty new to it, this is my first build, I was just toying with it, I don't want or need to push it to the breaking point. I haven't played any PC games, I have some that I hope to play when I get time for it, I plan to edit some video with it tho. 
I'll run it later, should I turn off the OC feature then, is it better to use AMD catalyst, entering your own numbers, if so, what do I start with when it comes to voltage? 
Maples01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maples01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:09pm
I ran it a few hours trouble free, no more heat than regular web surfing, I dropped the BIOs OC and increased it using AMD catalyst, I did keep the core unlocker up tho. BTW this is my chip. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 1:16am
Increased what exactly using AMD catalyst? If none of the workers failed, you shouldn't increase the voltage. Furthermore, overclocking should be done from the BIOS and AMD's software should only be used for testing - at least this is what experienced overclockers seem to advise.

It sounds odd that Prime95 - if that's what you refer to by "it" - would not produce any more heat than web surfing. Web surfing should not load up your system anywhere near as much as Prime95. Of course you may have set up your system so that the CPU cooler spins at lower rpm until the temperature gets near 40 C. Could you upload a screenshot showing Prime95 and HWMonitor info (temperatures and CPU clock speeds) roughly 20 minutes into a Prime95 blend run?
Maples01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maples01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:29am
I think what I've done is pretty much just open 2 extra cores, removed the overclocking and the BIOs are all set to auto control the voltage. I've been getting frustrated with the disk error startup, was able to find a BIOs update that was directed toward the M.2 harddrive, thats where I put my OS, I'm hoping that is dealt with, then I may get back to OC, or may just abandon that all together, it's not necessary. 
When I'm on the web monitoring my temps, I'm usually watching videos while downloading my games from several clients, trying to put everything back, the prime didn't seem to do anything different, thats if the hwmonitor was reading correct. My fans are on auto, I wasn't sure I wanted to toy around with their settings, usually it's about 34 degrees.
I'll have to look up screen shot again, I seem to have forgotten how to do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic