ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about AMD motherboards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kira_22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about AMD motherboards
    Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 6:49pm
I have an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x pre-built PC. I want to change the motherboard because it contains a 1650 Super GPU, however I have a few questions.

The major application is for mid-range games such as Diablo 2, Dragon Age, and Final Fantasy 14.

At the same time, I'm updating my case to an ATX.

Is it necessary for me to upgrade my current power supply? I'm not sure what's in there right now. It's a pre-built HP Gaming PC that isn't mentioned in the specifications.

What should I look for in terms of specifications? WIFI isn't required because I'm hardwired to the router.

Is it really vital to plan for future growth? The next step will be to get a better graphics card, although I don't think I'll go wild with it.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 12:31am
What is the model of the PC? Knowing that will allow us to check the specs and
better help you.
meltdowner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 3:31am
Hi Kira,

I would suggest you only replace the power supply and then upgrade your GPU.

Your GPU is not "built into" your motherboard, it's a replaceable card. THe only hurdle you would face with my suggestion, is like you implied, the power supply. HP often have oddball sizes and connectors with their power supplies that aren't easy to just unplug and replace with an OEM version.

However, it can be done. Often times all it takes is a $10 power supply adapter which you can find on amazon, then replace the powersupply with a 500 -> 750 watt power supply. Then later on, upgrade your GPU. You would have to do some research on this.

If you want to post your HP model (exact model) I could give you some more detailed advice.

I have done the above with Lenovo pre-made computers and it worked fine.

If you are sure you want a new case, and eventually a new GPU and don't want to do my suggestion above...

You may be able to install the HP motherboard into your new case, but you probably wont know until you get the case and take the motherboard out of your old pc and try to install it in your new one and just replace the power supply and GPU.

Post the exact model of your HP gaming pc and maybe I can give more details.
kira_22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kira_22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 1:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic