ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Network Port needs cmos battery removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassman6805 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Network Port needs cmos battery removal
    Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 11:06pm
I hoping someone can help solve a problem with my network port.  If my computer gets turned off I always have to remove the cmos battery and replace to get it to work.  I am certain the battery is good.  Once I boot it back up I have to go into the bios and set the time and date.  After that it works fine until powered off again.  Anyone have any ideas? 

Also, it's an AsRock Z97 anniversary edition motherboard.

Edited by bassman6805 - 15 Feb 2016 at 11:07pm
scajjr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scajjr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 11:16pm
I'd check the battery with a voltmeter just to be sure cause that symptom seems like a low battery.

Sam
GripS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GripS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 11:16am
Why are you having to pull the battery? Are you not able to clear the CMOS using the CMOS jumper? I just put a rig together using this motherboard. It is on the bottom left side of the board near the audio header for the front panel. 

Do this:

Shut down the system
Disconnect power to PSU
Push the power button on the case a couple of times to discharge capacitors + wait about 30 seconds
Move the CMOS jumper to the clear position (pins 2+3). Wait about a minute. Move the jumper back to 1+2 pins.
Fire up the system and go into BIOS. Load optimized defaults
Boot into Windows, verify network
Shut down

Let me know if the problem persists after doing so. Are you also running the latest available BIOS?

Edit: Do replace the CMOS battery. They are inexpensive and it's good to rule that out. The symptom does indeed line up with a dead CMOS battery.

Edited by GripS - 16 Feb 2016 at 11:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic