ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme3 PCI-E x1 in x16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-Riz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme3 PCI-E x1 in x16
    Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 12:55am
I am trying to use a SATA x1 card in the second x16 slot (PCIE3 in the manual).

The x1 slot has a second network card in it.

When adding the SATA card, the boot screen wants the PCIE_PWR1 (4 pin Molex) plugged in; when it is plugged in, the system will not boot.

It will boot with either a card in the x1 slot OR the x16 slot, but not both.

Do I need to change PCIE2 link speed from Auto to x8? That is the only thing I can think of at the moment.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 3:48am
The PCIE1 x1 slot is a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot provided by the Z97 chipset, so not related to the PCIE2 and PCIE3 slots.

The PCIE2 and PCIE3 slots are the PCIe 3.0 slots, whose lanes are provided by the CPU.

I'm guessing there is a video card in the PCIE2 slot now? What video card are you using, or not?

When both PCIE2 and PCIE3 slots are in use, they switch to x8 each automatically.

Your SATA x1 card (make and model please, ASMedia or Marvell chipset card, or... ?) is causing the message during POST to connect the the extra PCIE power connector, although I doubt it is really needed. I know you cannot start the PC without making that power connection.

Does the SATA card have a power input connection of its own?

I'm guessing that once the SATA card is actually operating, that causes your booting issue (Duh! Wink).

What exactly are the symptoms of the system not booting? What happens or does not happen? Does the PC POST? Can you get into the UEFI/BIOS?

Do you have any drives connected to the SATA card when you start the PC?

When you installed the SATA card, did you clear the UEFI/BIOS before starting the PC?

What UEFI version are you using now?

If you had drives connected to the SATA card when you start the PC, I suggest disconnecting them until you can get the PC to boot normally.

Windows (what version?) will probably load a driver for it automatically. Regardless, run the driver installation program for the SATA card, and watch the installation messages carefully to be sure it completes without errors.

Next, restart the PC with no drives connected to the SATA card yet. If it boots, check Device Manager for an entry for the card, either in IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, or Storage Controllers. Verify that the device is working correctly.

If there seems to be nothing in Dev Manager, restart into the UEFI and check System Browser in Tools, to see in the card is being detected.

If all this is fine, you can then shutdown the PC and connect a drive to the card.

When you start the PC after that, go into the UEFI and check the Boot order. You might need to adjust it because of the SATA card.

Sometimes add on SATA cards have a problem with their own "BIOS", their Option ROM that is stored in the board's UEFI/BIOS. If there is no room to fit the Option ROM (if it even has one) in the UEFI, the card cannot work. That is unusual, but something to keep in mind. Which is why I ask about what card it is.

B-Riz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-Riz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 4:36am
PCIE2 has an ASUS R9 290 DCUII.

The SATA card (x1, no power connection) is a Syba SD-50050, Marvel 88SE9128; installed for eSATA use, so, no drive hooked up when booting.

http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1285

I have no booting issues if I use the SATA card OR the network card in either the PCIE1 or PCIE3 slot,
it only asks for the PCIE_PWR1 if both slots are populated; after I plug PCIE_PWR1 in and press the power button, nothing happens. I then have to turn main PSU power off, unplug PCIE_PWR1 and remove one of the cards.

Right now, I am using the SATA in PCIE1 and the on-board NIC.

BIOS is 1.30, I have debated going to 1.90 (delaying because I have a nice OC).

I have not tried putting the GPU in PCIE3 or changing PCIE2 speed in BIOS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic