ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

i5 5675c, z97 Killer 3.1, bios 1.30 : no linux

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i5 5675c, z97 Killer 3.1, bios 1.30 : no linux
    Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 1:32am
Hello,

My motherboard (z97 killer Fatal1ty 3.1), bios 1.30, is running windows 10 with an intel i5 5675c without  any problem.

I try to install a linux on a second drive with no luck (except with fedora 22) because in bios 1.30, the motherboard doesn't have (yet?) the intel microcode 0x13 (see here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103351).

I wish asrock will release a bios for this motherboard with the corrected microcode from intel for this processor (broadwell). Do i have to contact support for this ? Is there a way to do this (install microcode) by hand in the bios ?

Thanks in advance.

nevro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 7:35am
Hello,

Replying to myself if someone is interested.
I succeeded in modifiying the original bios for my motherboard (Z97 Killer 3.1) with latest microcode for my cpu (5675c broadwell).
Now i can install linux without worry (juste tested with a 15.10 ubuntu) !

Here is how i proceed (warning, you could break your motherboard)
1) In case of problem, to revert on the working bios (jumper) do a backup of your bios chip A->B (or B->A if already using second bios)
2) download bios latest 1.30 from asrock website Z97Kil31.30
3) download UBU (UEFI Bios Update, http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html)
4) launch ubu.bat, select the bios file downloaded in 2
5) go in menu 7 (you should have 4 microcodes, one is for 5675c - 0671). 
6) choose update only broadwell, choose latest 0x13
7) quit ubu (choose renaming your bios: mod_Z97Kil31.30.rom)
8) rename the file with its original name Z97Kil31.30
9) Put this file on a fat32 usb key
10) reboot inside bios and flash.
11) After reboot, it takes 5-10 secondes longer, you should have your cpu with microcode 0x13 applied from bios. I didn't reset cmos with jumper, but it should be a good thing to do it.
12) if your motherboard doesn't boot, switch to bios B (jumper) and reboot. Recopy B->A and wait for an update from asrock ?

Nevro.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 9:06am
Originally posted by nevro nevro wrote:

Hello,

My motherboard (z97 killer Fatal1ty 3.1), bios 1.30, is running windows 10 with an intel i5 5675c without  any problem.

I try to install a linux on a second drive with no luck (except with fedora 22) because in bios 1.30, the motherboard doesn't have (yet?) the intel microcode 0x13 (see here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103351).

I wish asrock will release a bios for this motherboard with the corrected microcode from intel for this processor (broadwell). Do i have to contact support for this ? Is there a way to do this (install microcode) by hand in the bios ?

Thanks in advance.

Is this microcode update only for Linux compatibility? That seems obvious since you could use Win 10 with your Broadwell processor and the UEFI/BIOS update provided by ASRock.

Is it typical for Intel to have different microcode updates for Linux and Windows? Obviously Intel does not (or cannot) combine them into one microcode release.

Since most ASRock boards do not officially support Linux, that is why you won't find a UEFI/BIOS update with a Linux compatible microcode.

There is no point in waiting for a UEFI update that contains a Linux compatible Intel microcode for Broadwell, since no Linux support is provided for your board. That kind of update will simply not happen, unless the microcode is also compatible and needed for Windows. Simply pointing this out as an FYI, sorry to say.

Nice work modifying the UEFI yourself, the UBU tool is great.

Two warnings or FYI for you:

Microcode is not normally updated in a UEFI/BIOS update, so you should be able to apply future UEFI versions without ruining your microcode change. That is of course if the new version does not have a microcode update as part of its change.

Whenever you change to a new or different UEFI version, ASRock does NOT recommend clearing the UEFI/CMOS immediately after an update. The UEFI will be in a cleared state after any UEFI change, with default values set for all options. You can select the Load UEFI Defaults option in the Exit screen right after an update, although that should not be necessary, but hurts nothing.
nevro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 6:51pm
Thanks parsec for your precisions.

Nice work modifying the UEFI yourself, the UBU tool is great.
Yes, thank you to UBU i just discovered !

Is this microcode update only for Linux compatibility?
No. The intel microdoe 0x13 is fixing:
  • MCE kernel panics on Linux under normal usage
  • BSOD with Office 2016 Installation on Windows
  • BSOD with Certain Source-engine games on Windows
  • BSOD with Linux virtual machines on Windows

(source:https://github.com/bgw/bdw-ucode-update-tool)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic