ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laundry list of problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laundry list of problems
    Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 1:36am

Is it the air in Valparaiso Indiana or is it W10 v1511 or is it the Intel Z97 chip or is it ASRock motherboards built on the Z97 chip that are giving me all kinds of computer problems I've never had in the past?  I can't believe I'm the only one having all these issues!  On the positive side, I have two systems built on the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MB and have not had any problems with either of them.  I'm getting frustrated because I can't seem to get much of a response from posts let alone any real solutions.  The only positive response I can count on is ASRock's willingness to supply me with replacement MB's.  Here's a laundry list of the problems I had in the last year and a half:

• Replaced an ASRock Z77 OC Formula MB twice because each MB got flaky after five or six months of usage.  On the fourth try ASRock let me downgrade to a Z77 Extreme4 MB and I have not had an issue since.
  • Replaced a Fatal1ty Z97X Killer MB because the SATA controller would only recognize one SATA port from day 1.  Eventually the system would not even boot from that SATA port.  The replacement MB is OK and has been running 24/7 for many months with no issues.
  • Purchased a second a Z97 Extreme6 MB because the original one developed problems where several of the Intel SATA ports became unusable.  Returned the original Z97 Extreme6 MB to ASRock for a replacement.  The "new" Z97 Extreme6 MB works OK except it has this obsession to reboot itself from a shutdown state every 24 hours to the second!
  • The replacement of the original Z97 Extreme6 MB worked for a couple of hours and then all but two of the SATA ports became unusable.
  • The replacement of the replacement Z97 Extreme6 MB seems to work OK except for a few minor strange things like - when I change the drives connected the Intel SATA ports I have to clear CMOS before the changes are recognized by W10.  This seems to be a common solution that I have had to resort to on multiple occasions.
  • In almost all cases of the Intel SATA port problems described above, the BIOS recognizes the drives but W10 does not.  Several times I've replaced the SATA cable and the problem went away.  I really don't know if it was the cable or a fluke since I've never experienced bad SATA cables in the past.  Connecting the "problem" drive to one of the ASMedia SATA ports always works!
  • I am a slow learner and recently bought an ASRock Z97 Anniversary MB for a minimal system using the G3258 processor. It works OK except the lower third of the boot screen gets blanked after a fraction of a second!  Not a big issue but I do not have the problem with all the same hardware connected to the Z97 Extreme6 MB?!  I contacted ASRock tech support since it appears to be an obvious MB BIOS issue and they were going to get back to me in the next day or so, I have not heard back from them and it been over a week.  W10 runs OK with no display problems.
  • I won't even go into the W10 discovery issue.  On any given day/week a different system will become "undiscovered" on my home network.  This problem has been experienced by many users with a wide variety of hardware.

All of the systems are running a fresh install of W10 v1511 with all the cumulative updates and the latest drivers and BIOS from the ASRock site.  It has gotten to the point where I'm almost afraid to make a hardware change to an existing system!  I never had these problems with older MB's from ASUS and Gigabyte.  In fact, I've only had to replace one MB in the last 10 years until I met W10, Z97 and/or ASRock MB's!

Edited by Ken429 - 17 Feb 2016 at 4:03am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 3:42am
Windows 10 1151 is banished from here. What a PITA experience THAT was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic