ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Issue with graphics card seating on a H97M mobo?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Issue with graphics card seating on a H97M mobo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLR1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issue with graphics card seating on a H97M mobo?
    Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 3:32am
I recently put together a pc with the following specs. 

Intel core i5 4460 
Asrock h97m mobo
geforce gtx 670 
16 gb of gskill ram
cooler master 550w power supply
250 gb samsung ssd

Everything but the graphics card is brand new. 

After I built everything I set the computer up on my desk plugged everything in and turned it on. 

Everything powered up and was on but I was getting no video output at all.

I put the computer on its side and reseated the graphics card thinking maybe it wasnt in all the way. I set the card in firm and screwed it in firm. I turned the computer on  while the computer was on its side and lo and behold it came up clean through the bios and wanted me to select a boot device. 

I turned it off and set the computer back up vertical with the side panels on and started it up again. 

No video output. 

So now I'm not sure if its the card (worked fine the previous day in my old PC) or something to do with the motherboard PCI-E slot. or maybe with the power supply? I can get the pc fully up with integrated video and I loaded windows on it as well. Nothing seems flaky with it.

Anyone have any ideas?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 2:51pm
Without having the PC in front of me with the side off, it is difficult to know exactly what is going wrong with the video card. A picture won't do much good either.

When you say you screwed it in firm, I imagine you mean the video card's mounting bracket to the slots in your PC case. What PC case are you using?

When the case is vertical, look at the top of the video card's mounting bracket, the straight line of the top edge. That is, with the side off the PC and looking inside the PC. Now look at whatever part of the PC case is visible behind the mounting bracket, such as the metal strips between the PCI slots, or other part of the PC case. If the top of the mounting bracket is leaning up or down compared to an edge or line on the PC case, the video card is not mounted correctly in the slot. The edge farthest away from the board is either to low (usually) or to high.

Do you have all the standoffs in the mother board tray in the correct positions for a Micro ATX board? There are only six standoffs and screws supporting the board, it need all of them for proper support.

The power cable to the card might not be making a good connection. Look at the connector on the PSU cable that plugs into the card, but the side you can see of that connector. Are all the wires seated in the connector at the same depth?

When the video card does not work for you, when the PC is powered on, do the fans on the video card spin or not? If not, when using the onboard graphics with the PC running, open the side of the case and carefully move the video card up and down a bit, and wiggle the power cable around a bit. If the fan spins while doing either of those, you'll know what is wrong.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 3:11pm
You can also clean the contacts on the GPU using a cloth and some isopropyl alcohol. As it is not a new GPU there may be some residue on them that is preventing proper contact in the upright position.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic