ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 - Extreme 7+ - Onboard graphics problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfirst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 - Extreme 7+ - Onboard graphics problem
    Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 7:58am
Z170, Extreme 7+,i7 6700k,64gb,950 Pro M.2,Onboard Graphics,Stock clock

One of the main reasons I picked this board was the 3 m.2 and the 3 display outs.  I don't game, I develop, and I read that the onboard intel graphics was capable of 3 4k monitors.

After assembling, first try, I'm able to get into the bios.  I did the internet update.  I eventually got Windows 10 installed onto the SSD.

Problem is the max resolution I can see is only upto 1080p with DVI-D cable.  The monitors are capable of 2560x1440.  My current desktop that I'm replacing is driving my 3 monitors via  DVID cables to their full resolution.

I tried custom resolution and I get the "maximum bandwidth exceeded' error that many others report.  I tried switching to a displayport cable but then nothing shows up at all!  I do have the latest intel 530 drivers installed.

So
1) What order should I install all the drivers for this board?
2) How can I get to higher resolutions with the onboard graphics?

Edited by hfirst - 26 Feb 2016 at 7:59am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 3:13pm
The Intel graphics via the DVI-D interface provides the least level of resolution of the three interfaces available.

This is from the Specifications page for your board, about the Intel graphics:

- Three graphics output options: DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort 1.2
- Supports Triple Monitor
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 24Hz / (3840x2160) @ 30Hz
- Supports DVI-D with max. resolution up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz
- Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2304) @ 60Hz
- Supports Auto Lip Sync, Deep Color (12bpc), xvYCC and HBR (High Bit Rate Audio) with HDMI Port (Compliant HDMI monitor is required)
- Supports Accelerated Media Codecs: HEVC, VP8, VP9
- Supports HDCP with DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort 1.2 Ports
- Supports Full HD 1080p Blu-ray (BD) playback with DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort 1.2 Ports

Your monitors likely don't have a native 1200P resolution, so you are stuck at 1080P with DVI-D.

Your other desktop PC must have a separate video card to get 2560 x 1440 over DVI-D on three monitors.

I don't know if you installed an Intel graphics driver, or just have the default Win 10 graphics driver, or a driver via Windows update.

Driver installation order is only important for two drivers.

First and always first is the INF/Chipset file installation program, the INF driver ver:10.1.1.12 file on your board's download page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme7+/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Second is the Intel Management Engine Software, the Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.0.1183 file from the location above.

If your monitors have a driver, installing it before installing the Intel graphics driver may help with the detection of their resolution. After that there is nothing that any other drivers depend on, so whatever order you choose.

BUT, given Win 10's annoying and intrusive automatic update "feature", when I install Win 10 I do NOT connect any network cables or wireless cards to the PC until I have first installed all the important drivers and system related software. I've literally seen a situation where I was installing a basic driver while Windows Update was doing the same thing, but with a different driver version.

The native Win 10 video driver should work with DisplayPort and HDMI connections at a resolution close to the full resolution of your monitors, once Win 10 is installed. The first time you connect them to the PC before an OS is installed with DisplayPort or HDMI, you should get 1080P automatically. Both of my Dell monitors with DisplayPort connections work at 1080P in the UEFI/BIOS before an OS is installed.

The "VGA" driver on your board's download page is an Intel graphics driver, but slightly older than what you can find on Intel website. Nothing wrong with this driver, it should work fine with your monitors, but you can try a newer one if you like. You won't be missing anything using the drivers direct from Intel.

This is a list of video drivers you can download from Intel that are designed for use with the Intel 530 graphics. This list is shown if you click the Download Drivers link on your CPU's information page:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz#@downloads

The latest driver (Beta) is at the top of the list, although you'll find "latest" in half the listings. When I looked at this driver list, the versions were only a few days apart, which of course will change over time. Scroll down on any of these pages to find the Read Me and Release Notes for that driver, which may contain information you want to see. There may be other links on these pages for additional information and support.

Download one or more of these drivers before you do a Win 10 installation, so you have them ready to use while the network connection is off. Save on a USB flash drive, and then copy them to the OS drive before unzipping and running as Admin. This goes for ALL the drivers you'll be installing. Do not run things ON the USB flash drive, it will be much slower and some things will not work correctly if run in that way.

The Intel video driver package has a configuration tool, the Intel Graphics Control Panel, which should be available as a shortcut on the Desktop and as an entry in Windows Control Panel after the driver installation. Run this to configure the resolution of your monitors, if they are not automatically detected. One of the options in this software will be for setting monitor resolution.

Since you apparently had some video driver problem previously, I would install the Intel graphics driver right after the INF and IME installations. If restarts are requested after the driver installations, do not ignore them.
hfirst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfirst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 10:37pm
Thanks for the help.  I missed that DVID spec, #&@#*#.  That's what I get for just assuming all DVID would be the same, as my 4yr old existing setup is using DVID to 2560x1440@60 just fine.

So I've got all the latest drivers installed (including that intel hd graphics from their site).

This is what I've found:

1: I found a GPU Multi Monitor in the bios and it was disabled.  I turned on.  Confusing since I did already have onboard graphics working in the basic sense.

2: Somewhere else in the bios was a setting for graphics and I could choose between PCIExpress and Onboard.  It was set to PCIExpress and I switched to onboard.  This also confusing since there are no external graphics cards installed.

3: Using the HDMI (Board)->HDMI (Monitor) I am able to get to full 2560x1440@60 resolution.  And it did so all automatically.

4: DisplayPort->DisplayPort is DEAD.  I can't get anything to show up on the monitor.

5: DisplayPort -> HDMI (adapter cable) does work, but only upto 1080p.

6: Custom Resolution in intel graphics appears to be a completely useless feature always reporting maximum bandwidth exceeded. Even setting up a custom resolution for what is already there fails!!!  This is very commonly reported problem.

7:  I can switch cables/monitors on back of pc and windows detects my changes. But only for dvid and hdmi.  The displayport is such a headache and doesn't work even after a full power off reboot (and the monitor is on before the pc).  All I can get out of displayport is lower resolution via a DP/HDMI cable.

How can I make use of the display port output?  A lot of people are reporting displayport issues (but most seem related to it not coming back on after sleep).  I can't even get displayport to work at all directly or fully through that hdmi adapter.  I'd really like to at least try and get two of my Asus PB278Q monitors running off the onboard graphics at their 2560x1440 resolution.

hfirst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfirst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 5:15am
So I've made some good progress.  One thing I saw was lots of people reporting they solved their displayport issues by switching cables.  So I tried another cable since I had a bunch.  Now DisplayPort->DisplayPort is working.  So this issue for now seems solved, both hdmi and dp are giving me my full resolution.

I even tested sleep to make sure it would wake up the displayport (another common problem people report) and I happy to report that the monitor is waking up.  Unfortunately, I've found that sleep is not working correctly, but I'll put those details in another thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic