ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 Update Failures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netjrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10 Update Failures
    Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 11:12am
Hi,
I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ motherboard and installed Windows 10 Pro.
Getting these update failures from Windows 10:

Failed to install 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Thermal Subsystem - A131
  Failed to install 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PMC - A121

Are these errors normal?

Also can't install the Intel Lan Driver from ASRocks website.  When I try to install it my system hangs.  Found I could install the driver if I did it manually thru device manager.  Again is the normal?

Appreciate any helpBig smile
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by netjrb netjrb wrote:

Hi,
I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ motherboard and installed Windows 10 Pro.
Getting these update failures from Windows 10:

Failed to install 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Thermal Subsystem - A131
  Failed to install 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PMC - A121

Are these errors normal?

Also can't install the Intel Lan Driver from ASRocks website.  When I try to install it my system hangs.  Found I could install the driver if I did it manually thru device manager.  Again is the normal?

Appreciate any helpBig smile

I'm not sure I understand. Are you seeing these messages from Windows Update shortly after you installed Win 10 Pro as a new, fresh installation? Or did this occur after a Win 10 upgrade installation from an existing Windows installation?

Are these Event Log or other Windows log entries, or... ?

Either way, those are not normal events. I've installed Win 10 many times and never saw those messages or errors, depending upon the source.

What software and drivers from the board's disk or the Win 10 download page for your board, have you installed yourself?

Those messages might be caused because the INF/Chipset files were not installed, and Win Update cannot identify your platform correctly.

Was the Intel Management Engine software installed?

The Intel network driver installation problem is semi-normal, in that Win 10 has caused problems with the Intel network drivers. That is, in general Win 10 and the Intel network drivers have various issues, including some features not working at all.

When you ran the Intel network driver installation program, do you recall a screen that displayed four components of the software that could be installed? There was a check box next to each component that could be installed, all of them checked. One is the "Powershell" component, which I don't suggest installing, as it can cause problems and changes what features are available in the Device Manager entry for the Intel network chip.

Then again, the hang might be related to the software I mentioned above not being installed.
angelaerin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelaerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 6:51pm
Even am also getting same problem...
ipad app development company in UK | windows app development company in uk | mobile app development company in uk
netjrb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netjrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 12:28am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you seeing these messages from Windows Update shortly after you installed Win 10 Pro as a new, fresh installation? Or did this occur after a Win 10 upgrade installation from an existing Windows installation?

Are these Event Log or other Windows log entries, or... ?

Either way, those are not normal events. I've installed Win 10 many times and never saw those messages or errors, depending upon the source.

What software and drivers from the board's disk or the Win 10 download page for your board, have you installed yourself?

Those messages might be caused because the INF/Chipset files were not installed, and Win Update cannot identify your platform correctly.

Was the Intel Management Engine software installed?

Hi Parsec,  
Thanks for the quick response.  I see the error messages shortly after a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.
The error messages appear in the windows update history as well as the reliability monitor.  I did install the INF and ME drivers from the ASRock website but that was sometime after the Windows install.  And I installed Windows while hooked to the Internet so Windows would have run updates before I installed the ASRock drivers.  I can try installing Windows with the internet disconnected and then load the ASRock drivers first.  Is that what you normally do?

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The Intel network driver installation problem is semi-normal, in that Win 10 has caused problems with the Intel network drivers. That is, in general Win 10 and the Intel network drivers have various issues, including some features not working at all.

When you ran the Intel network driver installation program, do you recall a screen that displayed four components of the software that could be installed? There was a check box next to each component that could be installed, all of them checked. One is the "Powershell" component, which I don't suggest installing, as it can cause problems and changes what features are available in the Device Manager entry for the Intel network chip.

Then again, the hang might be related to the software I mentioned above not being installed.

The installation process doesn't get far enough to select components.  Hangs on the first screen that pops up. 
netjrb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netjrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 7:45am
Hi Parsec,
Did a fresh Windows install with the internet disconnected.  Installed all ASRock drivers and then reconnected.  No windows update errors this time aroundBig smile.  Still having trouble with the LAN driver thoughOuch.  Hangs the same as before, so I did a manual update via device manager.  When I installed the ASRock APP_Shop it showed the LAN driver needed to be updated, so I kicked it off.  That also hung.  Anymore ideas on the LAN driver?

Thanks.
Montoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 2:52pm
Which Lan device is causing problems ?

Is it the Intel I219V or Intel I211AT, or is it both ?

Personally, I would uninstall the Intel I219V & Intel I211AT devices in device manager, including removal of the drivers, when the option is available during uninstall of the devices.

Then I would download http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Connections-CD (version 20.7 is now latest), unzip, execute Autorun.exe and select "Install drivers and software".

Only install drivers and don't select the other options like Proset etc., just like Parsec described earlier.

Also check your settings for Windows Update to Automatically download drivers for devices (control panel>devices and printers>"rightclick" your system>device installation settings)

BTW, personally I don't use the ASRock APP_Shop, for updating my system, because it fucked up my system once, when it tried to update the UEFI and got stuck in a loop updating it..... Also the LAN driver offered via the APP_Shop is outdated, compared to the Intel latest released driver.

For my mainboard, there is also something wrong with the inf. files offered by ASRock. Because when I uninstall everything from my Intel I219-V and re-install the inf files, WindowsUpdate doesn't recognise the LAN adapter and the only option to get the device identified, is by installing the LAN driverpackage from ASRock or better the package from Intel..., but that is something for another topic Wink

PS: a very usefull and safe tool to use for cleaning up device manager from removed devices or not in use anymore, in your system : http://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tool_e.html#devicecleanup

Edit: Inf. files issue and device cleanup tool info

Edited by Montoya - 27 Feb 2016 at 3:19pm
Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac, Intel i5-6500, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Fractal Design Core 500, Win10 Pro X64
netjrb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netjrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 6:10am
Hi Guys,
Finally figured out the source of all my problems with this motherboard.  I had two Blu-ray drives hooked to the ASMedia SATA ports.  Once I disconnected them the LAN drivers installed without issue.  This also seems to have fixed the issue I had with Samsung Magician freezing my machine.  This is really disappointing because now I have burn two Intel SATA ports if I want my Blu-ray drives.  Has anybody else run across this issue and come up with a better fix?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic