ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170-Extreme 7+ : Sleep is actually restarting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
hfirst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfirst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170-Extreme 7+ : Sleep is actually restarting
    Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 10:29pm
Update: So in reading through this forum for a while, I found that I had installed my Win 10 as MBR because I hadn't booted with UEFI.  So I took the plunge since I hadn't yet installed anything else and I started all over again.  Not wanting to keep things simple, I went ahead and installed an EAH-6450 graphics card to drive my other monitor since I can't use the onboard DVI-D.  I reset my bios back to defaults, changed that one setting to let me boot uefi, reinstalled over the existing install (wiping out all partitions on my m.2:0 950 pro at the beginning) and now I have Win 10 running again.  My 2nd 950 on m.2:1 is working also.  I run crystaldisk and get appropriate numbers for the 950s.  The onboard DP is driving my main monitor and the graphics card is driving a 2nd monitor.  Eventually I hope to also add the onboard hdmi (maybe ven also the card's hdmi) to drive another 1 or 2 monitors.  I installed all the drivers (including the samsumg nvme 950) EXCEPT for the intel graphics.    It appears intel and microsoft are using a different numbering schema and the intel thinks the windows is newer because the 1st number is 20.  In reading, I find they say the last 4 are the most important and then auto installed microsoft one is actually higher, (MS) 4331 vs (Intel) 4300.  So for now I've left the graphics driver alone.  Windows 10 installed a default amd driver for the 6450 card.

So now my sleep problem has changed. 

Simple monitor sleep (but not pc) works fine.  Monitors shut off after 15mins, I then touch keyboard or mouse, and they quickly wake up.

The deeper low power sleep (S3?) problem has changed. Now the computer properly wakes from sleep, but only the monitor plugged into the graphics card wakes up.  The DisplayPort monitor doesn't wake up.  I have to initiate a restart from the other monitor and reboot to get the DP monitor to wake back up. 

This DP monitor not waking on sleep resume issue appears to be another common problem. What a mess.  Seems people try lots of things, they think it's solved, but the problem comes back.  At least now I won't loose work if  I accidentally pick sleep.

hfirst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfirst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 5:27am
Z170, Extreme 7+,i7 6700k,64gb,950 Pro M.2,Onboard Graphics,Stock clock, Windows 10, all latest drivers

I've disabled my computer from sleeping or hibernating  automatically.

If I tell it to go to sleep via the start menu, everything appears to power down and the power button led slowly flashes on/off.

If I then press a key, it wakes up.  BUT, not from sleep, it ends up doing what appears to be a full boot, as in I see the screen letting me enter the bios setup, and then when I log into windows, all my apps that were running are gone.

In bios, Deep Sleep is disabled
In windows, I tired disabling hybrid sleep, but that didn't solve the problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic