ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.2 to M.2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD Commander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.2 to M.2
    Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 9:16am
I have a Z170 OC Formlua. I have 2-Intel 750 400GB U.2 SSDs that I want to create a bootable array with using U.2 to M.2 adapters. I have ASUS U.2 to M.2 adapters and the board does not see the drives. Do I need to get ASRock adapters for the drives to be recognized? I Updated to latest 2.10 BIOS, but the board still doesnt see the drives. I didnt think a U.2 to M.2 adapter would be brand specific, but maybe it is? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 10:07am
I use a Gigabyte U.2 to M.2 adapter with an Intel 750 on my Z170 Extreme7+ board, and it works fine. This adapter was provided free with the U.2 750, so must be universal. I also doubt that these adapters are are board specific, unless Asus did something to theirs.

When you say the 750's are not recognized, do you mean in the UEFI, Storage Configuration screen?

If so, then yes you won't see NVMe drives appear in a configuration screen for SATA drives, or the few PCIe SSDs that use an AHCI controller, like the AHCI SM951.

Did you check in the UEFI, Tools, System Browser, for your 750's? My Intel 750 and Samsung 950 Pro are shown in System Browser, the 750 using the Gigabyte U.2 to M.2 adapter.

My board's UEFI in the Advanced screen, has an NVMe Configuration screen. All this screen really does is list the NVMe devices, nothing else can be done.

Are you aware of the resource sharing of the M.2 slots and the SATA ports on all Z170 boards?

Are you saying you don't see the 750's in Windows?

I assume you are using RAID mode in the UEFI now? Do you see the RST PCIe Remapping options in the Storage Configuration screen? If so, are they Enabled? These options are required to be Enabled before you can create a RAID array of PCIe NVMe SSDs. You must save and exit the UEFI, and go back into the UEFI for those options to be applied.

Have you done anything with the CSM option in the Boot screen? That is another essential option that must be configured in order to use even a single NVMe SSD as an OS drive.

Important FYIs for you about PCIe NVMe SSDs in RAID arrays:

If you clear the UEFI/BIOS, the RAID array will FAIL on the next start of the PC, even if you immediately go into the UEFI.

If you update to a different UEFI/BIOS version, which also clears the UEFI, the RAID array will FAIL just as it does as described above.

The only work around for this: Remove/disconnect the SSDs in the RAID array before you start the PC after a UEFI clear or update. Reconfigure ALL the required options as described above. Save and Exit the UEFI, go back in the UEFI to check all is well, then shutoff the PC by holding down the power button. Then reconnect the SSDs again, and start the PC.

This is caused apparently by limitations of the Intel IRST driver. While it is annoying, Intel has at least provided us with the ability to create RAID arrays from PCIe NVMe SSDs, while supporting two different storage protocols (NVMe and SATA) on one platform at the same time. Yes that is a big deal. The PCIe RAID arrays are more fragile than SATA RAID arrays at this point.
SSD Commander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD Commander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 10:34am
It does not see the drives anywhere. I have made bootable arrays with 950 Pros. I know where to look to see the drives, but nothing is showing up. The only thing I can think of is that the asus adapters are the problem. The 750s are the only drives attached to the system. Even just a single drive will not show up as an nvme device, nothing.

Edited by SSD Commander - 27 Feb 2016 at 10:37am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD Commander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 11:09am
Doesnt even see the drive in windows.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 12:12pm
If you can't see the drives in System Browser, or in Windows after starting Disk Management to initialize them, then it seems like the Asus U.2 to M.2 adapter is not working.

You have a SATA power connector connected to the 750's cable, where it connects to the 750, right?

Dressing the 750's cable from the SSD to the U.2 adapter is an art form. I also find the connector that plugs into the 750 can be easily moved out of place, so check that for a good connection.

Newegg supplied the Gigabyte U2. to M.2 adapter with my 750, it is really the cheapest one I've seen. MicroCenter has the Gigabyte adapter for use with the 750's they sell.

All I know is the Gigabyte adapter has worked perfectly for me since day one. I've removed it, put it back, connected the 750 cable to it multiple times, never had a problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD Commander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 12:42pm
Yes, I have the power connectors connected. Is this the same parsec from the patriot forum days? This is bill gates.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD Commander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 6:09am
Turns out that ASUS mini SAS adapters only work on ASUS boards. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic