ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX Killer Boot Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
la4ours View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote la4ours Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 990FX Killer Boot Problems
    Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:53pm
Ok. So not only did the fresh not work for the 990fx board, but this forums board doesn't work either. Not only can i not reset my password for this site (because no email is EVER sent), but somehow, I can't seem to "remember" the password for an account that I made YESTERDAY with the same password I am using now.

Come on ASROCK, get your stuff together.
laforze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laforze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 1:48am
Yeah. I really want to like this combo as I want to prove that this 8350 can peform just as well as my 4770k in regards to all around performance. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 1:19am
I see what you are saying. A big part of the problem isn't ASRock's implementation but more a platform related issue. The AM3/+ platform is rife with issues. I am not saying it is bad or that it is AMD's fault however. The problems typically arise in newer implementations of the AM3+ platform, trying to add features that are not natively supported for example. Another major factor is the OS, I have seen many issues with windows 10 on both AMD and intel platforms and they are not brand specific (ASRock and others).

Windows does not like being switched over to other platforms/systems. It often works and sometimes even works seemingly without issue taking an OS drive and using it in another system. In most cases however it causes issues, reboot/shut down/sleep issues are very common. Hopefully your OS reinstall (I would recommend a complete fresh installation) will resolve your issue. If not let us know and we will do our best to help you.
laforze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laforze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 12:56am
I have the same problem. However, i've had problems with this board from the start. When I first bought this board along with an 8350 i had rebooting issues. I could be in windows 7 ultimate and run things fine. I would update drivers and have to restart and it would usually always hang up. I updated bios and changed different settings in the board and i got it to shut down occasionally. I ended up giving the whole system to my sister in exchange for a fridge she gave me and that was the end of it. 

I wanted to build an htpc and bought an msi/A6-7400 combo and everything was fine. Installed win 10 and called it a day. Thought about wanting to game on this occasionally so I decided to swap the new combo with the one i gave my sister. Installed everything in her case and everything works like a champ. Installed the 8350 combo in mine and now i can't restart for the life of me. I kept the win10 install i had from the other setup and maybe that's my issue, so i'll reinstall it today when i get home and see if that works. 

I really want to like asrock as I've heard good things, but my first purchase with them has not been a positive one. This board is chock full of features and i'd love to get the most out of it, but if I can't seem to get this to be a stable board (default settings, no oc) then I'm just going to toss it as I don't believe they'll replace it and stick to msi or gigabyte. 
Finnipinni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 1:43am
Do I understand you correct, that you under no circumstanses are able to enter the BIOS ?
Keyboard are OK ?
So, board should still work, wether or not you are able to enter BIOS or UEFI.
The power do spin some fans ? LED's for 3,3 and 5volts light up ?
Have the 990FX ever worked ?
Is it running plain UEFI or legacy ?
Are the patitiontabel sutable ? (MBR on the old would not work if 990FX running UEFI)
There are lots of issues to examen......
A88M G-3.1 2x4GB XMS SM951NVMe NanoPSU MediaPC
AliasOfMyself View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliasOfMyself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 5:22pm
Hi, has anyone considered asking the OP what make and model power supply they are using? the issues they're seeing are pretty much so the issues you would expect to see from a power supply that isn't sufficient for the system to run properly.

Most, if not all cheap/unknown manufacturer power supplys will deliver a lot less wattage than it says on the sticker, or will not have enough amperage on the 12v rail to power the CPU, video card, and other 12v devices attached to it.

The cpu would normally throttle first before shutting the pc off if overheating was an issue, but it is worth checking the heatsink to see if it's fitted properly and if the right amount of thermal paste has been used.

My partner has this motherboard, powerd by a Corsair 750TX power supply with a phenom II 965BE cpu, and the system is running perfectly fine, my own specs are detailed below(I have the updated usb 3.1 version of the same motherboard)

Windows 10 x64 Pro Edition 
AMD FX-8350 8 Core @4.2ghz 
ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Killer/3.1 Gaming Motherboard 
12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz C9 
Corsair H100i GTX with two Corsair SP120L Fans 
XFX R9 280 3GB DD Edition 
ASUS Xonar DSX 7.1 with swappable PO Amp 
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 
2TB Seagate Barracuda & 3TB Seagate Barracuda 
Corsair 3rd Gen RM750 Modular PSU

Edited by AliasOfMyself - 04 Mar 2016 at 5:23pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by puckinnutz puckinnutz wrote:

HE had a Gigabyte mobo before.
The only hardware change would be the new 990fx killer board and a different processor.

If I cleared the CMOS and left the hard drive, and optical drive unhooked, I still should be able to get to the BIOS with out issues correct? 
The only device hooked up is the GTX 760 vid card hooked to a monitor using DVI, and a stick of Crucial Ballistic Sport memory, ive even tried no memory just to get to BIOS.

Ive gotten into the BIOS maybe once or twice but then it shuts down the PC before I can look at any settings.

Sorry, but my question remains unanswered. We need to know the complete model name of the previous board to see how different it was compared to the new board. That is needed to gauge the chance of your previous Windows installation working with your new hardware

Changing the board and CPU is the most major hardware change that can be done.

Yes you should be able to go into the BIOS with only a CPU, video source, and memory connected.

If the PC is shutting down shortly after it is starting, the CPU may be overheating. Get into the BIOS and immediately go into the H/W Monitoring screen to check the CPU temperature. If it is at 50C and increasing, your CPU cooler is not working for some reason. That MUST be fixed before anything else can happen.
hmoed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 7:00am
Here the same problem....
On my ASRock 990FX killer 1 time a bleu screen with dump.
Afther reboot no bios, post or dispaly.
Attached 1 speaker from old pc to mobo and i get 2 short beeps.

2 short beep - Parity circuit failure, POST error, review screen for error code.
RE: How i can review the screem for error code i don't know, screen is black.

i have changed the power, attached only 24pin 2x4 cpu pin, and get again the 2 beeps.
I have changed to a working small/old video card but also 2 beeps.

Also done, remove 24pin mobo power, remove battery, clear cmos on jumper set for 30 secconds.
Still 2 beeps.

What also does't work,
1. create a bootable usb with latest bios.
2. cmos jumper on clear possition 2-3
3. boot system for bios recovery from usb bios file, nothing happends and no screen display or the 1 beep for comnpleet.

Anyone, is there anyone ho can help me or has just that 1 tip to resolve this problem ?
Confused
puckinnutz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puckinnutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:13pm
HE had a Gigabyte mobo before.
The only hardware change would be the new 990fx killer board and a different processor.

If I cleared the CMOS and left the hard drive, and optical drive unhooked, I still should be able to get to the BIOS with out issues correct? 
The only device hooked up is the GTX 760 vid card hooked to a monitor using DVI, and a stick of Crucial Ballistic Sport memory, ive even tried no memory just to get to BIOS.

Ive gotten into the BIOS maybe once or twice but then it shuts down the PC before I can look at any settings.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by puckinnutz puckinnutz wrote:

Im transferring my sons current hard drive with windows 10 over to a new 990FX Killer mobo w/ AMD FX6300

Currently installed to new mobo I have GTX760, Optical drive, old hard drive Seagate Sata, 2 sticks of ddr3 memory. 500 watt ps

The issue is when I boot up all I get is a black screen, no BIOS. I can see the cpu fan spinning, the video card fan spins.The nic cards light flashes  There is no internal speaker so I can tell if there are beeps

Ive removed the memory, unhooked the hard drive and optical drive , shut off the power, reset the cmos pin, then plugged the power supply back in. Leaving almost everything out I can get to a screen that says to run setup, or defaults, sometimes I can get to the BIOS, but then the pc shuts down 

What board and hardware was being used when Windows 10 was installed on the HDD you moved to the new 990FX board?

If Windows was installed on the old PC with more than just the target OS drive running in the PC, then the Windows installer put the boot partition on another drive in the old PC. The HDD you moved cannot boot without the other HDD, until you fix it.

Boot from your Window 10 installation media, and run a Repair on the installation.

If the previous board was different than the new one, then you really should do a new installation of Win 10. Plus changing boards, even if the same model, will cause Windows to want you to activate it again, since a Windows installation is tied to the mother board. At best you will need to call the automated activation system, and go through that process.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic