ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 extreme6 hard drive problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JPNH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPNH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 extreme6 hard drive problem
    Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:45am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by FrankOP FrankOP wrote:

HI.
I've just bought 2 new hitachi 4TB hard drives Ultrastar 7K4000 (HUS724040ALA640) and when i connected just one off them to my Z97 extreme6 with bios/UEFI version 2.50, my machine wont turn on.
I mean not even a little light some where, if i take out the new hard drive it still wont start up until i take out the power cable and wait a few seconds, stick it back in and then it will start up again.
My power supply is a Cooler Master silent pro 1000w, so i think there should be enough power.
Can anyone help, maby it's a new mortherboard i need. Cry

Are you using any kind of power cable adapters, like four pin molex to SATA power cables, on ANY of the drives in that PC?

That's just an example of a somewhat similar problem I had. I used a four pin molex power cable from the PSU, and connected a four pin molex to a dual SATA power connector adapter, for use with SSDs. I used these adapters on several different PCs with different mother boards and SSDs, and they always worked fine.

But on one of those PCs I needed to use a SATA power cable from the PSU to a drive, while using the molex power cables and adapters I described, on other drives. The PC would start for a moment, and then shutoff.

The only way I could get things working was to use either ALL molex power cables and adapters, or ALL SATA power cables to the drives, I could NOT mix the two. I assume there was some kind of grounding issue when I mixed the two, or other electrical problem caused by the mixed power connections.

Your problem is in a general sense the same. When you connected the new drive, for some reason the PSU is detecting some kind of problem, and shuts itself off when you try to start the PC. That is a safety feature, particularly useful with high power PSUs like you have.

So you get no power at all to the board and other parts in the PC. The main hint that makes me think this is happening is you can reset things by removing the power cable and then connecting it again. That causes the PSU to reset itself after it went into a protective shutdown state. This is a major clue that indicates it is not the board that is the problem, but something about the power connection to the drive is the cause.

The hard part may be determining what exactly is causing this to happen. That's why I asked about the use of any power cable adapters. Your PSU is a single 12V rail design, so balancing power connections is not a requirement. Many things are possible, including the power cable from the PSU being defective, or the drive itself being defective.

Does this problem happen when connecting either of the two new HDDs? As Xaltar said, if you just connect the data cable from the drives to the board, with NO power cable, does the problem happen?

If you describe the power connections to your drives we might notice something. If you use adapters like I talked about, let us know.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I registered, just to say thanks! I was pulling my hair out as only four drives of nine were being detected. Got rid of all the Molex and bam all but two Seagates are being detected. Thank you thank you thank you!!!Clap
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 4:43am
Thanks for the update, enjoy your now working system Thumbs Up
FrankOP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 3:44am
I have an update on my little problem.
It turns out, that i'v got 2 bad harddrives. and the seller just gave me 2 new one's, so i'm thinking
they have seen it before.
The new one's are working thu. uhuuu :-)
Best regards
FrankOP
FrankOP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 2:10am
I have now changed power to sata cables, still no drives in bios. :-(
Put my old drive on molex power and it works fine.
Lifes full off challenges. Wink
Best regards
FrankOP
FrankOP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 12:47am
I have been out hunting for SATA3 cables and changed all, (9 drives) so now i know they are all SATA3.
But that didn't change anything. :-(
infact, even without the new drives i couldnt start up the machine.
Then i changed the molex power cables to sata, i have some drives that can take both molex and sata.
and i had one adapter. That didnt work either. :-(
I allso tried to diconnect some off the other drives to see if that would help. But no..
I was a bit puzzled about this so i took out all power cabels and compared them with each other, and i found that the power cable i put the new drive on is from another power supply i've had. (stupid me ;-) )
But somehow my old drives worked on that cable. Ermm 
Now i have both the new drives on a molex cable with adapter because i have no more sata cables for my power supply.
The machine starts up now but the bios wont recognize the new drives. So something new to work with. :-)
When i have little more time i will try to change them with some off the other drive thats on sata power.
I will give an update about how it goes.
Best regards
FrankOP
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by FrankOP FrankOP wrote:

HI.
I've just bought 2 new hitachi 4TB hard drives Ultrastar 7K4000 (HUS724040ALA640) and when i connected just one off them to my Z97 extreme6 with bios/UEFI version 2.50, my machine wont turn on.
I mean not even a little light some where, if i take out the new hard drive it still wont start up until i take out the power cable and wait a few seconds, stick it back in and then it will start up again.
My power supply is a Cooler Master silent pro 1000w, so i think there should be enough power.

Are you using any kind of power cable adapters, like four pin molex to SATA power cables, on ANY of the drives in that PC?

That's just an example of a somewhat similar problem I had. I used a four pin molex power cable from the PSU, and connected a four pin molex to a dual SATA power connector adapter, for use with SSDs. I used these adapters on several different PCs with different mother boards and SSDs, and they always worked fine.

But on one of those PCs I needed to use a SATA power cable from the PSU to a drive, while using the molex power cables and adapters I described, on other drives. The PC would start for a moment, and then shutoff.

The only way I could get things working was to use either ALL molex power cables and adapters, or ALL SATA power cables to the drives, I could NOT mix the two. I assume there was some kind of grounding issue when I mixed the two, or other electrical problem caused by the mixed power connections.

Your problem is in a general sense the same. When you connected the new drive, for some reason the PSU is detecting some kind of problem, and shuts itself off when you try to start the PC. That is a safety feature, particularly useful with high power PSUs like you have.

So you get no power at all to the board and other parts in the PC. The main hint that makes me think this is happening is you can reset things by removing the power cable and then connecting it again. That causes the PSU to reset itself after it went into a protective shutdown state. This is a major clue that indicates it is not the board that is the problem, but something about the power connection to the drive is the cause.

The hard part may be determining what exactly is causing this to happen. That's why I asked about the use of any power cable adapters. Your PSU is a single 12V rail design, so balancing power connections is not a requirement. Many things are possible, including the power cable from the PSU being defective, or the drive itself being defective.

Does this problem happen when connecting either of the two new HDDs? As Xaltar said, if you just connect the data cable from the drives to the board, with NO power cable, does the problem happen?

If you describe the power connections to your drives we might notice something. If you use adapters like I talked about, let us know.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:13pm
Have you tried a different SATA cable? I have seen systems fail to turn on if a SATA 1 cable is connected to a SATA 3 port.
FrankOP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 6:05pm
HI.
Best regards
FrankOP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic