ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z490 AQUA Waterblock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betterred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z490 AQUA Waterblock
    Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:59am
Hi,

I've got a Z490 Aqua, and the block is starting to look slightly green through the acrylic window. I'm running pure distilled water. Does anyone know the metals which come in direct contact with the water?
Thanks.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:52am
I can't seem to find technical specs on the Aqua water block/s but by the pictures
I would assume they are aluminum. Green tint in your water would indicate copper
oxide which means some element of your loop contains copper, likely your radiator.
A lot of radiators have a copper core. I would look into replacing it with an
aluminum core radiator and make sure all your fittings are aluminum. If you are
using a GPU block in your loop that could also be copper cored. That could be
more tricky to deal with. There are quite a few videos on youtube about mixing
copper and aluminum water cooling components, I would recommend you take a look
at some. The simplest solution would be adding an anticorrosive to your coolant.
There are additives exclusively designed to combat this kind of issue.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:05pm
Galvanic corrosion can be a problem over time, typically for the weaker metal
(aluminum in this case). Copper just oxidizes and can be cleaned off relatively
easily (as Agent XXX noted). The Aluminum however weakens and can eventually start
cracking as it's molecular bonds break down. This typically takes a long time
however. Running an anti corrodent in your coolant should be enough to mitigate
any harm within the lifetime of your system.

Even then, most people don't bother and have no issues. However, I must point out
the potential risk.
Betterred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betterred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 2:58am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I can't seem to find technical specs on the Aqua water block/s but by the pictures
I would assume they are aluminum. Green tint in your water would indicate copper
oxide which means some element of your loop contains copper, likely your radiator.
A lot of radiators have a copper core. I would look into replacing it with an
aluminum core radiator and make sure all your fittings are aluminum. If you are
using a GPU block in your loop that could also be copper cored. That could be
more tricky to deal with. There are quite a few videos on youtube about mixing
copper and aluminum water cooling components, I would recommend you take a look
at some. The simplest solution would be adding an anticorrosive to your coolant.
There are additives exclusively designed to combat this kind of issue.

I can neither find much information, the closest is this anandtech review:
The monoblock is actually mostly copper, with an aluminium plating on the top and a nickel base on the
bottom.

Replacing the two copper rads + graphic card cooler would be really cumbersome/expensive (the fittings are stainless steel which afaik is ok). The additive solution seems to be the only possibility; 15% anti-freeze is talked about a lot - otherwise most additives seem to come ready mixed which is a waste, given I have a distiller at home.

As far as getting rid of the build up, again afaik it is not possible (or at least easy) to open the block, so maybe some warm vinegar through the whole loop? Not looking forward to that either.
Betterred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betterred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 3:04am
Thanks, your method of cleaning seems optimal, if a bit brutal ; however, this is the waterblock on a (er, rather expensive) Z490 Aqua. I can no way afford to risk taking it apart, especially as it is still under guarantee.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Betterred Betterred wrote:

Thanks, your method of cleaning seems optimal, if a bit brutal ; however, this is the waterblock on a (er, rather expensive) Z490 Aqua. I can no way afford to risk taking it apart, especially as it is still under guarantee.

I only suggested replacing the copper components because you purchased an enthusiast
board, a very expensive one. It's what I would do if I were running one, to ensure
I get the absolute most use out of it. It isn't the only option and not knowing
the metallurgic composition of the blocks it may be pointless anyway. As I said in a
previous post, a simple additive (or premix) to combat corrosion/oxidization
should be more than enough. Even just using distilled water should be fine for
the product's lifespan. So long as you are not seeing any particulates forming
in your coolant you should be OK.

I also just had a thought, is the green color building up on the loop anywhere?
It could be algae forming in the coolant. Regardless, flush the loop continuously
until the water/coolant is clear then refill it. Keep an eye on it and see if
any buildup is forming on your water block's fin surfaces. If not, you should be
fine. If you notice a buildup then look into a high end coolant with the necessary
additives to combat corrosion, oxidization and biocontamination. I apologize
if my original post was frightening, it wasn't my intention.

Here is a redit thread that may be helpful to you too:
https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/eb2alg/green_tint_in_clear_coolant/

Someone mentioned adding a drop of biocide to distilled water, this would alleviate
the possibility of algae etc.

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Feb 2022 at 7:45am
Betterred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betterred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:26am
I think the green is corrosion - there are no visible signs of growth in the tubes anyway. And given what seems like a horrendous mix of metals, it is probably not surprising that some oxidation may occur. Still, there does not seem to be much, and so I really hope this isn't going to be a major problem.
I think the biocide idea is good, perhaps a small amount of food grade hydrogen peroxide? That could be tricky though, too much and it might start to oxidise the metals.
For corrosion, do you have any thoughts on the 15% anti-freeze? I've looked at a good few forums, and some people seem to swear by it, others think it is the devil's brew. Otherwise is there a particular anti-corrosive additive (not premix) you would recommend? One problem I've had is trying to find something in the EU.
Anyway, I'm not complaining, the motherboard is without doubt the best I've ever had. Up to now I've always used Asus boards (with one unfortunate Gigabyte purchase). But all the Asus boards were, to some extent, flaky - the Aqua is rock solid; there hasn't been one single issue. From now on it's gonna be ASRock!

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 8:06am
I would look at EK's web shop, they deliver to my country (EU) so take a look.
The prices are fairly reasonable when weighed against the cost of your system.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/

I typically use EK-CryoFuel, the clear version. The only way I have been able to
get it is through EK's store. None of the tech stores where I live stock this kind
of thing.

If you do go for the premix I suggested, make sure you thoroughly flush your loop
first. I would flush with vinegar first, let it cycle for 20 mins or so then
flush repeatedly with distilled water until there is no further smell of vinegar
in the dispelled fluid. Then flush with warm water and add your premix once clear.

The oxidization isn't an urgent issue but can, over time, build up on the micro
fins in your blocks and clog them. If it wasn't an Aqua we are talking about
here I would suggest you just flush the coolant once every month or so with
vinegar. I have never tried hydrogen peroxide so I can't tell you if it's safe.
I have been water cooling for many years but I am far from an expert on cleaning
etc, I always rely on premixes and the advice of experts. I should really set
up a loop to play with and do some experiments. We don't often get water cooling
queries here.

The mix of metals is normal in modern loops, hence the premixes with anticorrosives
and biocides. Water cooling isn't main stream enough to be bound by a unified
quality and composition standard. You can easily get caught up in the "elitist"
information out there, never mix x and y etc but by and large, most of this is
just talk with little to no actual research or experience. The joys of the internet.

If it EK's store doesn't deliver to your location, try hitting up some of the
bigger tech forums and inquire there. I am afraid I have no suggestions outside
of proven brand products. If you have not already, check out Jayz two cents
youtube channel, he has made a lot of videos on custom loops and coolant. I
have found a lot of them to be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Jayztwocents

Let us know how you get along
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic