ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

880GM-LE black screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 880GM-LE black screen
    Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 10:28am
I just bought this motherboard and 2 Crucial memory dimms, 2 GB each, DDR3-1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) Non-ECC Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory. I tried 2 different video cards and I get a black screen, the power button on monitor lights up green, I get the boot sound but no BIOS onscreen. When I connect the monitor to the onboard video plug the light on the monitor turns orange meaning no signal. Is this the right RAM for this board? BTW, the cpu I also bought, it's AMD Athlon II X2 B24 3.0 GHz Dual Core CPU Processor Socket AM3.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 1:30pm
After a quick look at your motherboard CPU support list it seems the Athlon II x2 B24 (CPU Part number ADXB24OCK23GQ) is not on the list, likely because it is an OEM CPU. It is based on the same Regor microarchitecture as other Athlons in the list so it should work or may have had support added in a bios update (Asrock would have to confirm).

Do you get any beeps aside from the post beep when turning on the PC? 

The best way to troubleshoot problems in this situation is to remove all unnecessary components from the system so: 1 stick of RAM, remove GPU and use the onboard Radeon HD 4250 provided by the chipset and no drives/USB devices other than a keyboard and mouse. Also be sure you have connected all the power connectors to the motherboard, failing to connect the 4 pin power connector above the CPU socket can cause the problem you are experiencing. 

Good luck and let us know how the troubleshooting goes.

Edited by Xaltar - 03 Jun 2015 at 1:31pm
chris123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 9:51pm
Hi Xaltar, thank you for your post. I only get the post beep, the keyboard light comes on and the system sounds alive. I removed the IDE and Sata drives when testing but now I'll remove all PCI cards and the GPU as well as you suggested. I did connect the 4-pin cpu power connector but I'll remove it and reinsert again just in case something did not click the first time. I know fully inserting the RAM took a lot of force before they finally clicked.  I bought this MB to replace one that I thought had died and it's perfect for my needs. It doesn't look like it's doa, at least all the fans do come on so there's some power circulation. I'm beginning to think there might be something wrong with my power supply - it's 11 years old, something may have been fried just recently. The old motherboard all of a sudden started showing similar signs of failure - everything was running yet the monitor showed the black screen of desolation.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 10:02pm
Ah, power can be a fickle thing in the PC world. I would try and get yourself a Seasonic PSU, they are known for quality and the fact that brands like XFX, EVGA and others rebrand them should say something ;)
chris123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 11:41am
Thank you again for your help. It turns out my old system kicked the bucket and I had to replace the power supply in addition to the motherboard and now everything is looking good. I installed the mb's drivers this evening and I'm hoping for a long-lasting and happy relationship with my first ASRock motherboard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic