ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PMBUS Address Error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelastmumzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PMBUS Address Error
    Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 12:26am
I just finished building a new itx system using an Asrock Fatal1ty itx with an Intel i7 6700 and am getting weird error.  Whenever I boot up the system cold (meaning the system has been off for at least an hour or two) I get an error immedately after the Asrock BIOS logo that says PMBUS Address error Press F1 to continue.  Pressing F1 takes me into windows just fine.  It doesn't seem to have any apparent effect on the system that I can tell.  I only get the error once when the PC has been off for a while and then powered on.  Any subsequent restarts or power on/power offs don't give the error.

So for I've tried the following;

1.  Swap PSU (Silverstone SFX-L 500)
2.  Swap PSU cabling and SATA cables.
3.  Removed graphics card (ASUS GTX 970 mini) and ran off integrated GPU.
4.  Ran system off of only one ram stick at a time. (DDR4 3000 GSKILL TridentZ 32GB 2x16)
5.  Reset CMOS.
6.  Replaced CMOS battery.
7.  Updated BIOS to 1.80

I just got the mobo from Newegg last week so I can still return it if I have to but I really really don't want to disassemble this thing again.  This thing is tiny and it was a PITA to get everything in there.  Any ideas would be welcome.

Edited by thelastmumzy - 06 Mar 2016 at 12:27am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 12:54am
Make sure your power connections are firmly seated and that none of them are damaged. Perform a full CMOS clear and see if that helps. This issue is fairly rare but has to do with power management and most often occurs after a failed OC though that is not the only potential cause. PMBUS is how intel allows the CPU power controll unit (PCU) to be accessed by the BIOS and usually only flags an error when something happens to the power to the CPU, such as an excessively high vcore trying to overclock or a bad connection on the 8 pin CPU power header. Given you are using a non-K CPU I would guess it is not an overclocking related issue. ITX systems can be very tight to work with, my guess would be that the 8 pin power connector to the board is either not seated correctly or the wires are bent at an angle that makes the connection intermittent until warmed up. This can be dangerous as it can cause the pins to get hot and potentially burn the plastic connector. 

The error itself is not usually a bad sign however, so long as the system runs stable. My only real concern would be checking the power connectors to be sure they are not poorly seated. If they are then a full CMOS clear should resolve the issue. If not then you can contact Tech Support directly and they will help you further. The only other potential cause is a BIOS bug, hence the need to contact tech support should the steps I listed not resolve the issue.

Good luck an let us know how it goes. 
MaximPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaximPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:09am
I have just built my system and have the same problem. I have the 6700k and the same motherboard. I emailed asrock about it. I can still launch into windows. I'm scared that if I flash the bios I will mess up the chip. Some tips on this would be much appreciated. I'm not sure if this is a real concern. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic