ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme6 fan problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gniblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gniblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme6 fan problem
    Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 4:19am
Thank you for your detailed response. You confirmed what I was thinking, and that is that the related setting was the Deep Sleep option.

Anyway, since the time in which I started this thread I disconnected all of the cables from my tower and pulled it out. For starters I was amazed by how little dust was inside the case. The filters do an incredible job for this Fractal Design Define R5 case. Now, I was thinking back about my hardware changes, and one day I took apart the system to apply GELID GC-Extreme to help better cool my Intel i7-4790K processor. 

This had me thinking. Did I make sure that I properly reseated the cables for my Power and Reset? I am not 100% certain that it really matters which way it is connected, but I didn't have the positive on the positive. After powering back on the computer and testing the shutdown it has worked twice in a row.

Now, in regards to what you were stating in regards to the Deep Sleep option, I had it disabled but then tried S4-S5 state (something like that) before taking apart my computer. It still had the same problem so I returned it to the previous setting.

Also last night I thought it could be an operating system (Windows 10 Pro x64) error so I ran the system file checker. It found some errors in which it fixed. While it may have fixed something, it didn't resolve the error.

Now I think I should work on a signature in case I have any future problems. Right now I HOPE that my problem is resolved with that simple cable switch. Not sure how crazy I want to go with my signature though. I have a ridiculous system build.

Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium | Corsair AX1200i | ASRock Z97 Extreme6 | Intel i7-4790K | CRYORIG H7 | GELID GC-Extreme | 2x G.SKILL TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX | Gigabyte R9 290 4GB | Samsung SM951 M.2 MZHPV512HDGL-00000 | Samsung 850 Pro MZ-7KE256BW | Samsung 850 Pro MZ-7KE128BW | OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G | Seagate ST4000DX001-1CE168 | Western Digital WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 | Western Digital WD2001FASS-00U0B0 | Western Digital WDBACW0030HBK | ASUS USB-AC56 | Logitech G710+ | Mad Catz R.A.T. 9 | Razer Vespula | Logitech G933 | Bluetooth 4.0 (for PS4 controller) | Steam Controller | MS Xbox Wireless Adapter (for Xbox One controller) | Windows 10 Pro x64

I'll stop there. ;)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 2:34am
I have the same board and don't have this problem. Of course I doubt we have the same CPU, memory, and other hardware. What version of Window are you using, or ??

I assume the front fan in connected to a mother board fan header?

Your current situation seems to be the PC is not going into the S5 shutdown state, but is either in the S1 or S2 state. Those states keep the fans running and some hardware active to various degrees. Sleep is the S3 state.

Problems like this can be difficult to diagnose and even figure out what is happening. This can also be an OS level setting that is the cause.

The UEFI setting related to this is the Deep Sleep option in Advanced, Chipset Configuration. Check the setting, which by default is Disabled, or should be. You could try different options to try to fix this.

You can use the Windows (?) powercfg command, run in an Admin level Cmd window. That may give you a clue about what is happening, and identify the shutdown/Sleep state the PC is in when the fans are still running.

gniblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gniblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 12:17am
I think this is something caused by the most recent UEFI update. When I shutdown my computer the front fan is still running. I haven't pulled out my computer and looked at the other devices to see if they are also running.

I attempted restoring to UEFI defaults and then shutting down the computer after that, but that did not fix the problem. Which setting could be causing this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic