ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme Utility CPU Temp Reading Incorrect?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galenpcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme Utility CPU Temp Reading Incorrect?
    Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 7:15am

The ASRock Extreme Utility CPU Temp reading is 20 degrees (C) below CPU Temp reported in H/W Monitor in BIOS. Which is correct?

990 FX Extreme 4, Bios v 1.0

Thank you.
placing principles before personalities
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 12:44pm
Virtually no information given, not even the CPU you are using.

AMD processors and boards have multiple ways of reporting the "CPU temperature", such as a CPU socket temperature reading. It is possible that the BIOS temperature reading is from a different sensor than the one used by AXTU.

But there are other explanations for the temperature difference.

When in the BIOS, none of the CPU power saving options are active. They become active once the PC boots into the OS.

If you auto-run AXTU when the PC boots, or run it manually, the OC Tweaker and FAN-Tastic Tuning settings you are using will override the BIOS settings of the same options. You may have a lower CPU voltage set in AXTU than in the BIOS. Your fan speed control settings and profiles may be different than those in the BIOS. AXTU does not permanently change the BIOS option settings in the BIOS, the changes occur only when they are applied by AXTU or manually in Windows.

The Operation Mode in AXTU can also change the way the CPU operates in Windows compared to how it operates in the BIOS.

Did you ever try another hardware monitoring program and compare what it displays to AXTU?
Finnipinni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 6:50pm
Same issue here, on different AMD-boards.
I belive the F-stream is correct on my 990FX killer.
A88M G-3.1 2x4GB XMS SM951NVMe NanoPSU MediaPC
TryHardTex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TryHardTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 9:28pm
Mr. Parsec hit the nail on the head.

When in the UEFI/BIOS all the power saving features are not functioning thus you'll have a higher temp showing in the bios than you'd see at the resting temp when booted to your chosen OS.
I have an FX 8320 on a 970 fata1lty performance mobo. My CPU is overclocked a hair but, liquid cooled and the bios shows 34.5-37c and all the hardware monitoring software shows significantly lower from Desktop. I'd give you an exact temp but, after I found the lowest voltages that provided solid stability for my selected frequency I removed all the monitoring software.

You're probably really checking temps to make sure you're not reaching a point where thermal throttling kicks in and lowers your performance. If this is the case I'd urge you to use one of the cpu "burner" or stress testing software options while watching the cpu performance under the task manager to see if it's heating up and causing the frequency to lower. If you're not worried about thermal throttling and such... ignore this all together.   

Tex

PS (If you're reading this and getting temps from AMD "power now" software, i seem to recall it showing the degree until you reach max, I.E. if your max temp is 75c and your sitting at 30c it'll show "35c")

Galenpcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galenpcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 9:43am

Thank you all for your replies.

Other info you might be interested in (?):

AMD PHENOM??II X6 PROCESSOR 1100T 3.3 Ghz, Socket AM3

16 GB DRAM on 4 DIMM's

AMD OEM Heatsink/Fan

Fan in NB Heatsink

Windows 7 64 Bit

No O/C'ing or tweaking with any other settings -- fan speed, voltage, etc.

I have not installed any other programs to measure temps, etc.

I am concerned about the CPU temp. Are the temps reported by AXTU after the machine boots to Windows accurate? If so (reporting 46C as I type this), I will not worry about the operating temp. Or, if I'm to rely on what is reported by the BIOS H/W manager, I will try liquid cooling.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 12:10pm
Try this monitoring program to compare with AXTU. But remember that AMD boards and processors can send two "CPU Temperatures" to the board, one is the CPU, the other the CPU Socket temperature. You will see all kinds of information with this program, be sure to run the Sensors:

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

The default BIOS settings for the CPU fan speed control may not be set to a high enough speed when using the stock AMD CPU cooler. The same thing is true for any fans in the PC case. You should try to adjust their speed and you may get a lower CPU temperature.

A 20 degree temperature difference is very large, use the other tool I suggested and see what the individual core temperatures are, among others like the chipset.

If you really have the 1.00 BIOS version in your board, you should really consider updating to a new version. Much has changed since the 1.00 BIOS version.
Galenpcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galenpcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 8:14am
Thank you for the information and for your interest in my query.

I will update the BIOS, install the program you have directed me to, and will check on the fan speeds. 

This may take some time; I will probably not be able to post back the results until early next week.
Galenpcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galenpcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 7:39am
I apologize for the delay in sending this post. It was due to illness (me, myself, not the computer).
Anyway...

I flashed BIOS to v2.7

Installed and ran HWINFO64

Installed and ran latest version of AXTU

Results after running virus scan program & reading email (all in Celsius):

BIOS H/W readings - CPU 42  MB 34

AXTU - CPU 46  MB 35

HWINFO64 - CPU (#0) 32.4  MB 35.0  CPU 47.5 AUX 68.5 SYSTIN135.5 SYSTIN2 35.5 SYSTIN3 35.5

Many different readings of CPU Temps and ??? Temps from HWINFO64.

I would like to know if the temp reading from the "Auxiliary" module is a concern. I am confident now that the CPU temp is not in danger.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 12:17pm
It is common to get readings in HWiNFO and some other monitoring programs that are of unused sensors outputs on the chip used to process this data.

These programs don't know if all the sensor chip outputs are valid or just random data, random data meaning they are not used by the mother board.

Does that Auxiliary reading change at all, or show extreme values, such as 0 or other very low value, and then high values?

The Auxiliary reading might be of the board's Northbridge chipset. They tend to run warm. You can check that by touching the heatsink when the PC is running.
Galenpcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galenpcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 7:36am
Thanks for following me with this.

Yes, the Aux reading does register extreme values. For instance, after approx. five minutes running after a cold boot, the Aux readings show: 0 current, 45.5 minimum, 119.0 maximum, and 63.9 average. Some phantom readings?

(The CPU readings are all in the mid 40's range)

Anyway, I am confident now that the CPU temps are accurate, within a few degrees, in the readings from AXTU and HWINFO64, and I do not need to worry about the extreme temp reading of the Aux sensor.

I will close this thread now, unless there is another issue to be addressed.

Thank you all for your feedback and patience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic