ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

N3700-ITX USB problems...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N3700-ITX USB problems...
    Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 12:23pm
Hello.
Smile

ASrock N3700-ITX mainboard, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD(system), 2TB HDD(data), Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

All drivers installed and updated to latest from ASrock site, BIOS updated to the latest one(1.5).

No matter what I do, W8 won't talk to ANY flash drive, on some of the USB2 or USB3 ports - they always just show up as unrecognised device, or with errors like 'Set Address Failed' or 'Device Descriptor Request Failed' or the like.

ALL these flash drives work just fine in other computers, including other W8.1 64-bit machines.

I tried several ideas I found on the net, such as turning off the 'Allow windows to power down this device to save power' kind of check-box in the device manager settings for the USB hubs, but no.

Other suggestions on the web say to scan for hardware changes. If I do this, the machine crashes in spectacular fashion - mouse and KB both locked up, and you can do nothing but force a reboot. If you start some music first, when this hang happens, the music turns to a horrible metallic screaching noise that you cannot silence - you have to pull the power plug to stop it, and force another restart.  You can cause this crash to happen any time you ask for a scan for new hardware - even if there are no USB devices plugged in anywhere, on any of the ports.

SOMETIMES the devices that won't talk, will talk in other USB ports, but not always. They NEVER work in some specific ports. Does not seem to be restricted to USB3 ports, as this also happens with the USB2 ports on this board.

Anyone seen this kind of problem, and can anyone offer any other suggestions for me to try?
Zarxrax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zarxrax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 8:32am
I'm having a somewhat similar problem but with a different board. No solution yet, but waiting on support to get back to me.

All of my front panel usb ports work with devices like a mouse, but only 1 of the usb 3.0 ports works for storage devices like a usb stick, sd card, or my phone. The other 2 ports give me an error.

Edited by Zarxrax - 08 Mar 2016 at 8:32am
Grogster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 9:13am
I expect it must be a driver issue.  I note that in my case, the driver installed by the CD was version 1.0.0.26, and there is no more up to date version then that.  Initial releases can and do have obscure bugs or other issues sometimes.  I have not worked with this particular board or chiipset before, so I guess I just have to watch this thread for any other replies.

Thank you for your reply though, as it makes me feel better that I am not the only one. Smile

In the meantime, the on-board USB ports on the back panel seem to work OK, so I will just have to use a short extension cable so I can plug in at the front.  I also need to check that I don't have crook cables to the front panel, but the case is brand new, so I would not have thought so, but.......

If I find anything useful, I will post back here.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 1:54pm
Are the errors you are seeing being shown in Device Manager, or by Windows when you connect a USB flash drive?

I noticed in the specs for your board this note about the USB 3.0 ports:

USB3_3_4 is shared with USB_5_6

The specs for the processor in your board shows support for five USB ports total:

http://ark.intel.com/products/87261/Intel-Pentium-Processor-N3700-2M-Cache-up-to-2_40-GHz

If you click on the Download Drivers link on the page above, I don't see any USB 3.0 drivers.

You can search on Intel's Download page for "USB 3.0", but you must sort through the several hits until you find the one that matches your processor:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Grogster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 4:13pm
Hello. Smile

Shown in both.

Windows moans with the pop-up message as soon as you plug something in, and then for more details as to the exact cause, I look in DM.

The drivers for this board are available here:

2nd from the bottom of the drivers list, is the USB 3 driver.

This driver refuses to install, spitting back that 'This OS is not supported.', so I am just using the default MS supplied driver at the moment, but that driver sees the hub as a USB3 hub.

This system is Windows 8 - NOT 8.1, so I might see if I can upgrade it to 8.1(not 10!) and see if that helps.  It is Win8 as I had a spare license for it.

sharky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 11:38pm
Did you find a solution?
Same problem here: in win 10 and Ubuntu 16!
Grogster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 12:54pm
Yes, it's a real pain in the posterior isn't it?(rhetorical).  As of yet, I have not heard anything from ASrock as to a BIOS update to perhaps fix this issue.  In order to get around the problem, what I did was purchase a 4-port USB3 hub, and plug THAT into one of the working USB3 ports, and am just ignoring the USB2 ones that don't want to co-operate.  I have my USB2 devices plugged into the USB3 hub, and they are working just fine - including the flash-drives that would not on the native ports as in the first post of this thread.

So, the simple and easy solution would seem to be to add a USB3 hub to one of the USB3 ports, and put your USB2 devices on that, and ignore the USB2 ports.  This is a little annoying, as the front panel USB ports are USB2, and I can't use them on this box, cos the USB2 connections don't want to play ball with some devices.

Interestingly, I have a wireless KB and mouse set on one of the USB2 ports, and it is working just fine, but if I take that out and put in a known-good flash drive, Win8 moans that the device cannot be recognised.  Put any flash-drive in there, same thing.  Put same drive in the USB3 ports, and they work fine.  Put the wireless KB and mouse receiver back in the USB2 port, and it works fine, so seems to be something to do with flash drives etc - it's odd.....
kvnobrien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvnobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 4:14am
I have the same issue with N3150B-ITX and N3050B-ITX motherboards. I thought that I'd be the only one who would run into this but I'm glad I'm not the only one. If I use the USB headers from the motherboard for USB 2 and 3 front panel at the same time then both the USB 2 and 3 ports won't work (although strangely some devices still do work like older USB cameras vx-3000 and logitech keyboards and mice for example). Most devices will not work in these ports and I get the same message error message in device manager "device descriptor request failed". 

Now I also stumbled into a solution that I think was mentioned here but it requires some additional hardware. If you unplug the USB 3 cable from the asrock motherboard, then the USB 2 ports will behave normally.

I'm using a 2 port USB 3.0 PCI express card with 2 port internal header (SYBA SD-PEX20139). If I use that card and and plug the USB 3 cable into that header then all four ports will work normally. 

I bought this board (100 of them actually) so that I had a USB 3 header on the motherboard. It's a shame that it doesn't work. It seems like a grounding issue to me based on my research. If I'm correct then I don't think they'll be able to fix this with a BIOS update. Sad to hear that the N3700 is showing the same symptoms. I was hoping the newer boards would not have this issue. I used the older J1900 based boards as well and did not have this problem. 

What case are you using?  I'm using IN WIN CE685.FH300TB3 Black MicroATX Slim Case.

Edited by kvnobrien - 08 Jun 2016 at 4:20am
Grogster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:26am
Hi.  You bought 100 of them and the USB don't work..... :(  I feel your pain.....  I feel REALLY lucky then, as I only bought one.  With such a large order, surely you could return them to ASrock for a solution?  I hope so.  Unfortunately, ASrock have been very silent on this issue, neither confirming or denying it, so it is hard to know what the hell is actually going on past the fact that we know the ports don't want to work.

My USB3 hub fixed MY problems totally, but I should not really have needed to use one.  However, that was the fastest fix for my problems, and allowed me to get on and use the machine.

I am using a CoolerMaster Elite 130 case: http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA50452
sharky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 4:10am
Hi Groster, which port is working for you? none seems to work in my case..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic