ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Only Stereo on HDMI
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Only Stereo on HDMI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoryDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Only Stereo on HDMI
    Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 12:49pm
I built a 4K HTPC using Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard. The rest of the components are:
Intel Core i5-6600 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.3 GHz
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 256GB
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Enclosed in a SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B-USB3.0 case with an EVGA 220-G2-0550-Y1 80 PLUS GOLD 550W power supply and a LG Black 12X BD-ROM for playing Blu-Rays. It is running a fresh install of Windows 10 x64 Home.

This is all connected to a Sharp LC-70UH30U TV.

I have the Video connected to HDMI2 and get flawless 3840X2160 video at 60Hz. My problem is that I can only get Stereo audio through the HDMI port. I know that the TV is capable of receiving 5.1 audio, as my DVR (Verizon FIOS) box puts out a 5.1 signal and the TV recognizes it as such. I also connected up to HDMI1 with the same results on Audio (the Video was 3840 X 2160 at 24Hz as expected).

Under Settings/Sound, The options are:

SHARP HDMI

Intel ® Display Audio

Speakers

Realtek High Definition Audio

Realtek Digital Output

Realtek High Definition Audio

If you click Properties on the Digital Output, one of the options available is Dolby 5.1. Click the same on SHARP HDMI, the only option is Stereo.  I switched to HDMI1, no change. I swapped HDMI Cables with the one from the FIOS DVR to the TV, no change. (Both cables are rated for HDMI 2.0).

I have updated all drivers to the latest available on ASRock website. I have not found any complaints on forums or review sites of a similar issue. Certainly I can not be the only person experiencing this. I have seen a few complaints of HDMI not supporting dts-HD or Dolby TrueHD, but I am really only looking for 5.1. Using the SPID port to my receiver, Blu Rays (5.1 Surround) makes you feel like you are in the middle of the scene. My receiver is an older Yamaha, but it is matched to the 5.1 setup in my living room and is more than adequate for my needs.  Is anyone else having this issue, and if so, is there a resolution?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 2:59pm
What BD software do you use with your LG Black 12X BD ROM drive?

Is this your LG BD drive?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136268

It seems strange IMO that the BD drive does not (apparently) appear in the list of audio playback devices as a specific device in the Win 10 Sound option. Assuming it isn't listed as a specific device, it should be the Realtek Digital Output device. That of course is the digital optical SPDIF output (multi-channel audio is not a true SPDIF signal, but the optical output is shared with DD and DTS 5.1)

Your problem in the most general terms is it seems the multi-channel audio from the BD player is not being routed to the HDMI output you are using.

IMO, the DD 5.1 signal is currently being sent to the SPDIF optical output. Win 10 supports DD and DTS in the Sound option, as you know. But it should be possible to route it to the HDMI output.

You said you have all the drivers to the latest version for your board, which I imagine includes the Intel Graphics driver, the VGA driver ver:15.40.10.64.4300 on your board's download page.

This graphics driver includes the Intel audio driver used by the Z170 chipset. The Intel audio drivers include HDMI audio codecs. That is the Intel ® Display Audio entry in Sound.

Your fix may be as simple as choosing the Intel ® Display Audio as the default playback audio device.

Why the SHARP HDMI is being shown as an audio playback device must be caused by the HDMI audio return connection. Confusing, yes, but does it make sense that the SHARP TV is the audio source/playback device in your configuration? No it doesn't. Plus the SHARP TV is sending a stereo signal to the PC, which actually has nothing in it anyway at this point.

If after choosing and configuring the
Intel ® Display Audio as the default playback device in Sound, you still don't have a 5.1 audio signal to the TV, go to Control Panel and find, or start with its shortcut, the Intel Graphics Control Panel. You should have that if you installed the Intel graphics driver. There should be an audio configuration option that you may need to set correctly.

For more information about Intel audio and HDMI, see this page. You may find it helpful:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005485.html

HistoryDad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoryDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 12:10pm
Thank you for the reply.  Sorry for the delay in getting back, I have been working long hours lately.  You nailed it on the LG Drive, that is the drive and I bought it at Newegg... 

I have made a bit of progress. The BD seems to work in 5.1 if  I set the Sound option to allow applications to take exclusive control. You are also correct that the driver is the VGA driver ver:15.40.10.64.4300. However, I do not find any Audio configuration in the Intel Graphics Driver from Control Panel, and still see only Stereo as an option of the SHARP HDMI  Intel ® Display Audio option. I believe that the Driver is intellegent enough to realize it is connected to the Sharp TV, so I think that is where the nomenclature comes from. I am determining the 5.1 (or lack thereof) by switching the TV to HDMI1 (FIOS) and back to HDMI2 (Computer). When you change, it displays resolution and Audio for about 15 seconds. On FIOS it tells me 1080P@60Hz and 5.1Dolby, on Computer I get 2160P@60Hz, and Stereo. I mentioned that I had a small success - Watching a BluRay, when I switched to FIOS and Back to Computer, it said 2160P@60Hz and 5.1Dolby. I was hoping to get 5.1 from the browser (Chrome) for Streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. I also have a SPDIF from the TV directly to the Reveiver. Unfortunately, even when I get 5.1 on the BluRay through HDMI, The passthrough to the Receiver only gives me ProLogic II - essentially Synthesized 5.1 surround from Stereo. If I set the SPDIF optical output as default, and go directly to the receiver, I get true 5.1 surround through my receiver. 

I am about to conclude that the if I am watching a movie that surround sound is important to me (on BluRay, or Streaming), I'll set the default in Sound to SPDIF and use HDMI for Video and SPDIF for audio. For normal sound (YouTube, etc). I'll use the HDMI, and send both audio and video through HDMI to the TV, and not bother with the receiver. Thanks again for the help.
Blahx9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blahx9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 8:11am
historydad, did you have any issues getting 4K 60HZ working? I am looking for any info to get mine running. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic