ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Optical SPDIF Backplate Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optical SPDIF Backplate Needed
    Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 4:29pm
hello all
i have an asrock z97 anniversary motherboard
there is a 2 pin spdif header on the motherboard
i need an optical spdif backplate
alot of the backplates i have been looking at online have a 3 or 4 pin connection while my motherboard only has 2
where can get the proper backplate
thanks in advance
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Surfn Surfn wrote:

hello all
i have an asrock z97 anniversary motherboard
there is a 2 pin spdif header on the motherboard
i need an optical spdif backplate
alot of the backplates i have been looking at online have a 3 or 4 pin connection while my motherboard only has 2
where can get the proper backplate
thanks in advance

Are you sure about the two pin SPDIF header on your board? I don't see it shown in the board's manual.

Where is it located on the board?

Can you provide a link or two to the SPDIF optical back plates you are finding?
Surfn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 3:25am
yes it has 2 pin spdif out header, look at pic in link
http://postimg.org/image/3jvr5hui1/
the optical backplate i was looking at is this 1 in next link
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ASUS-Foxconn-Gigabyte-SPDIF-Audio-Optical-and-RCA-Out-Back-Plate-Cable-Bracket-/281003665440
it seems to have 3 pins
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 3:20pm
I see the two pin SPDIF header in your picture, thanks.

That SPDIF output header is not shown or explained in your board's manual, so I'm not sure if it really has the SPDIF electrical signal connected to it.

The two pin SPDIF electrical headers are normally meant to be used with some video cards that have an SPDIF electrical two pin input.

The optical backplate in your link does have a three pin connection. The connector is really a four pin connector with three wires.

That page has other pictures showing the header connection on several mother boards. The picture below is the header used on an Asus board:

The important thing to notice is the +5V pin on the ASUS header, the pin on the left side.

This backplate converts the electrical SPDIF signal into an optical SPDIF signal. To do that it uses a special part that needs to be powered with +5V DC.

The Asus and some other boards have a third pin on the SPDIF output header that has +5V DC from the mother board to supply power to the special part to convert the electrical SPDIF signal to an optical SPDIF signal. You can see that in the picture, the pin for +5V DC.

Your board does not have a +5V DC pin with the SPDIF output header. You cannot use this backplate SPDIF optical converter with your board by just connecting it to the two pins you have on the SPDIF header.

You would somehow need to connect +5V DC to this board to make it work.

It looks like this backplate also has a standard electrical RCA jack SPDIF output, which may not need +5V DC connected to it to work correctly. You would need to check with the seller if that is correct or not.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic