ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970 Extreme 3 showing 127c CPU temps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970 Extreme 3 showing 127c CPU temps
    Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 10:13pm
Hi. I'm having an issue with my BIOS on the motherboard.

The CPU temperature is constantly showing at 127c and never moves. However, in Hardware Monitor in Windows (10) it shows around 28c at idle, going to around 60c under load, so the fan is working fine. I have no issues as far as I can see with CPU overheating so I suspect it's a BIOS issue? I have the latest BIOS which was released 3 years ago (1.8) so I can't update to fix anything.

The problem is, the CPU fan is constantly at 100% as the BIOS thinks the CPU is hot and won't slow the fan down to the settings I gave it in the BIOS. 

Anyone else have this and is there a fix?

Cheers.

Edited by Vandinz - 13 Mar 2016 at 10:14pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 10:52pm
Did this strange CPU temperature thing just start randomly recently?

Did you try clearing the UEFI/BIOS? In the UEFI, the Exit screen, you can try clicking on Load UEFI Defaults a few times, and then Save and Exit, and then go right back into the UEFI and check the CPU temperature again.

You may need to do the battery removal and UEFI clear jumper at the same time, leaving the battery out for a long time, over night if you can.

If that doesn't work, try flashing the 1.80 UEFI/BIOS version again, using the Instant Flash method.

The number 127 is one of the maximum values in binary (when converted to decimal) that is seven bits out of eight set to 1. Why that CPU temperature data is wrong and stuck apparently on that value is unknown to me, but does seem to be clearly a glitch in the data.

If other programs can read the CPU temperature correctly, then your CPU itself does not seem to be the problem. If you have AXTU installed, I'm curious what it shows for the CPU temperature in Windows.
Vandinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 1:41am
Hi, thanks for replying. 

Just installed AXTU and that reports the temps at 127c too. Going to try the BIOS reset and failing that, reflash the 1.8 BIOS. I'll let you know how I get on.

:)
Vandinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 1:59am
OK, just reset the BIOS, no change. Downloaded and reflashed the 1.8 BIOS again and still nothing. 

It's strange how utilities like Hardware Monitor are able to display the correct (?) temps, but the BIOS can't. Would suggest it's more of an error in the BIOS code than a faulty sensor?

I can try the battery thing but I really don't think that will change anything.

Thanks.
Vandinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 8:44am
Still no reply!? 

Thanks to Parsec for trying to help but to not even get a single reply from anyone at Asrock, is not on. I was told your support was abysmal, turns out it might be true. I've emailed support too and got no reply. I might have to buy a new board and I can tell you now it won't be an Asrock board.

As a PC engineer that builds PCs for people, I'll be avoiding your products from now on.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 1:32pm
With any manufacturer's tech support it always pays to be persistent. If you do not receive a reply in a few days contact them again. 

I have never had any issues with ASRock's Tech support, they can be a little slow to respond at times but persistence always paid off for me in the end. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic