ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

A68M-ITX DDR3 2400 compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquelito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A68M-ITX DDR3 2400 compatibility
    Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 12:32am
Hello there,

I would like to know if the A68M-ITX will be able to run either one of these DDR3 kits at 2400Mhz :

Given the available compatibility list, I do not see any reason why it shouldn't work !

I already purchased the mobo with an A8 7600.

Thanks by advance for your help,
A.

Edited by aquelito - 15 Mar 2016 at 12:35am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 7:41am
Contact G.Skill at http://www.gskill.com/en/contact for your area and inquire with them.

You may or may not get a satisfactory answer back as the A68 is a low power chipset destined for inexpensive note books. But try anyways.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 1:36pm
2400 speed memory is considered an OC on this platform, and the memory controller in the CPU will determine the potential memory speed much more than the board itself will.

Both of the memory models you listed seem to be designed for Intel platforms. The G.SKILL Ares, in its QVL section, only lists Intel chipset boards for ALL of the manufactures included. Zero AMD boards.

Given the compatibility lists, why do you think this memory WILL work?
aquelito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquelito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 6:15pm
Hi there,

Yes you are totally right. I mixed up my links with this ref, which is compatible with A88 boards :

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2133c9d-8gab

That's why I assumed it would work with an A68 board, although I found very few info in this particular chipset.
aquelito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquelito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 4:15pm
Anwer from G.Skill support :

Quote Dear Sir,

For the AMD chipset, G.SKILL will guarantee the compatibility up to 1866MHz only, and we don't think your A68 is capable for 2400MHz as well. Please kindly consider with our 1866MHz memory kit for your system.

Thank you for choosing G.SKIILL

Best Regards

Tech Support Team

F.A.E

G.SKILL international

I finally ended up purchasing a 2133 A-DATA kit from the Asrock compatibility list. Did not look to this brand before as it is merely distributed in France :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211842

Edited by aquelito - 22 Mar 2016 at 4:21pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 4:51pm
ADATA is a solid brand, I have been using both their RAM and SSDs for years now and never had an issue with them. Build quality is top notch and my DDR3 1600 kit overclocked to 2133 on my Z97 Extreme3 system with very respectable timings and no extra voltage. Their SSDs are also very good value and often perform better than higher priced better known brands. I do generally prefer the better known brands but ADATA has done well by me.

[edit] Just to add, I am not trying to sell anyone on ADATA, only stating my experience with their products.

Edited by Xaltar - 22 Mar 2016 at 4:54pm
aquelito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquelito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 10:02pm
Hi Xaltar,

Are you confident this particular ADATA kit will run at 2133 on my A68 board ?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 10:32pm
Without having tested that combo myself I couldn't say.
aquelito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquelito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 11:45pm
I purchased the exac tsame reference as listed in the Asrock compatibility list but G.Skill answer sure raises doubts...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 11:38am
Originally posted by aquelito aquelito wrote:

I purchased the exac tsame reference as listed in the Asrock compatibility list but G.Skill answer sure raises doubts...

Again, The A68 chipset is low powered and more destined to a non-oc'd laptop.

Having said that, I'd imagine with feeding it considerable voltage, and with some serious 3rd party cooling, the A68 could, could maybe, hit and or support 2400. I wouldn't place much hope in doing so though, regardless of what ASRoock spec'd it at.

Afterall, it's a Mini-ITX board and with the reduction in size should probaby come a reduction of expectations. Too much electrical traces packed into/onto such a small board. And then the temperature factor what with basically an ATX board reduced to M-ITX and much oc'ing and the boards heat density begins affecting the traces.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic