ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P67 Extreme4 BIOS Instant Flash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammysea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P67 Extreme4 BIOS Instant Flash
    Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 1:15am
Hi

I can't find instant flash files of any of the BIOS versions for this motherboard.

The ASRock support tab for this motherboard has the Windows files for 3.10 available, and I tried putting that on a formatted FAT32 USB disk. The PC recognizes the USB stick but it does not find the image file. I did not think the Instant Flash utility would recognize an .exe file but I tried anyway since I do not see any other options.

After I started writing this, I found another user on the ASRock forums that said 3.10 is only available by installing from Windows. If so, can I get an older version that can be installed with Instant Flash?

Context if you're interested:

P67 Extreme4
i5-2500k @ 3.30 GHz (Sandy Bridge, B3 stepping)
16GB DDR3 1333 MHz
GeForce GTX 570
Windows 10 (NOTE: I got the PC with Windows 7; I wiped it and installed Win 10 to try and resolve the original blue screening problem which I describe below; OS upgrade did not have any effect on the blue screen issue which led me to updating BIOS from 2.10 to 3.10)

This PC was running an older version of BIOS (2.10). It had an insane blue screening problem; sometimes it would blue screen almost immediately after booting into Windows, sometimes randomly after a few minutes or hours of usage, and sometimes the GPU would fail to send a video signal to the monitor. Sometimes it would go for a few days without any problems.

All of those problems were resolved after I updated BIOS to 3.10, however, I quickly realized that the PC was only recognizing 8 GB memory instead of the installed 16 GB, which had been recognized and functioning properly prior to the BIOS update. I did some digging on that and found that a bunch of other people have had this same problem with ASRock motherboards (Pro3, Extreme4, Extreme4 Gen3, maybe others) after updating BIOS. I came across a thread where some people were able to resolve the issue by installing older versions of BIOS even though it's not recommended to do that.

I, perhaps foolishly, decided to try that myself, and ended up with a PC that won't boot beyond BIOS. I get an error, something like "FW mismatch" and then it proceeds to a black screen with a blinking cursor and a few words like "HECI Pointer".

Since I can't load into Windows to try and revert back to a newer BIOS version, I'm trying to use Instant Flash utility, which lead me to make this post.

Lastly, I should mention I also created a support case by filling out the tech support form, linked them to the thread I found where some users resolved by downgrading BIOS and some users resolved by requesting a replacement BIOS chip, and requested a replacement BIOS chip as well.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 1:41am
Try this one:
https://www.win-raid.com/file.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.homepagemodules.de%2Fb602300%2Ff16t5251p88197n2_zlRvymwq.rar&r=&content=RE%3A_How_to_extract_Asrock_P67_extreme4_official_bios%3F

Someone on the WinRaid forum was able to extract it. It's the latest for your
board and lists "improve memory compatibility" in it's description.
hammysea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammysea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 1:53am
I could kiss you. Where do you live? I'm on the way.

So I am back in Windows on that PC, however, it is still only recognizing half of my 16 GB of memory. Not quite sure what to try next on that. I forgot to mention that I also gave the beta version 3.19 a shot prior to downgrading but that did not change anything.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 5:20am
For the RAM issue I would contact ASRock Tech Support here:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

Make sure you check your Spam folder for the confirmation if it doesn't show up.
For some reason ASRock's emails often end up in the spam folder...
Jahesh85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jahesh85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 5:52pm
I might say that their won't is anybody who ne'er used the Nintendo e-shop to shop for complete clean games for his or her free time to kill, as I'm beginning to search out with personal statement writer service https://www.rushessay.com/personal-statement-writing-service.php browse more, in addition, get my all the assignment finished them that choices a durable base of learning and nice scope obtaining higher score in exams though.
hammysea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammysea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:08pm
I've come back to give this issue another crack a year later. My BIOS was on L3.19. I decided to buy a replacement BIOS chip (2.20). After loading BIOS for the first time on the 2.20 chip, I thought I had finally achieved victory: the BIOS home page detected all 4 memory sticks! The DRAM configuration section had an option to select XMP profiles. It looked all good!

Then I loaded into Windows, checked Task Manager, and saw that I'm already back to 8 GB. I verified that no drivers were updated by Windows Update. I recall reading that this is a BIOS microcode firmware update to Intel Management Engine causing the issue and that sort of update would not show up in Windows Updates. I wish I had booted up offline but I didn't think of that in the moment.

Rebooting into BIOS, I found that BIOS is now back to detecting 2/4 RAM sticks. My DRAM configuration options were trimmed back to what I'm used to; no XMP profile selection visible.

I think the next I will try is to blank the BIOS chip completely, flash new, and try again.
hammysea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammysea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:29pm
I'll try to blank the BIOS chip first and reflash and see if I can get back to where I was when I first installed the replacement chip. If successful, then I expect loading into Windows online will cause the same thing to happen, so I'll try booting offline and see if it sticks or not. If it does stick, then I've found some options for disabling the non-essential-to-booting components of Intel ME.

Maybe the combination of these two methods will get me to the promised land.
KatherineEL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatherineEL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 8:00pm
Thanks for the information!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic