ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Older board wont boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donmid94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older board wont boot
    Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 8:55am
I have an asrock x79 extreme 9 mobo with socket 2011 intel cpu and 32 g of corsair ram; the machine has performed very well for 4 yrs or more. Lately it started out where it wouldn't catch the boot once in a while and soon I am turning on and off 2 or 3 times to get it to boot and then it wouldn't boot at all.  HD and Power supply checked ok in a diff machine. I have it now where it will boot occasionally but I must have reset cmos because now it goes to Asrock splash screen and it does not respond to the various keyboard commands needed to enter the bios settings. I have even procured a ps2 keyboard and it doesn't work. I guess I need to figure out if its the board, I'm toast as its not readily available now and everything but the video cards are obsolete now... any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thx, Don
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 2:21pm
Welcome to the forums Don.

For a start, try a new CMOS battery. Perform a full CMOS clear before you insert the new battery. 

If that does not correct the issue post back and let us know.
donmid94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donmid94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 5:50pm
Yes I have replaced battery
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 6:01pm
And a full CMOS clear did not help at all?

If not then I would suggest stripping down the PC and cleaning all the contacts on the GPU, bottom of CPU, RAM etc. Make sure there is no evidence of burning on any of the PSU contacts and then try bench run the system outside the case with a minimal config. If that does not get you up and running then it is time to start troubleshooting individual components.
donmid94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donmid94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 9:48am
Really frustrated with this, I took everything apart, inspected, cleaned and assembled piece by piece, outside of the case. For the most part it behaved the same as before. only booting every 3rd or 4th time. When it did boot all looks good initially, starts with OCZ boot screen for HD, the keyboard lights up and seems to respond to the key board when it prompts to hit space bar to continue to mobo screens. Then right to the Mobo splash screen; for almost all different types of keyboards, the delete key would generate a beep from keyboard and most of the time the tab key would take you to another Dos looking screen with bios info but no other keys responded at all. I have tried different power supplies and every combination possible of keyboards, PS2, USB, and USB to PS2 converters, 1 stick of memory, 2 sticks and 4 sticks, with OCZ PCI HD in and without. It gives all the normal post beeps if you try to boot with no memory or whatever. It will run for hours on the splash screen; It feels like if I could somehow get by this one keystroke to adjust the boot settings, all would be fine. Even though it is 4 years old, the recent addition of new video cards and  it will max out 7.9 on windows performance index with only one 7.8. I really hate to have to junk this machine. Any other ideas?  Thanks in advance, Don M
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by donmid94 donmid94 wrote:

Really frustrated with this, I took everything apart, inspected, cleaned and assembled piece by piece, outside of the case. For the most part it behaved the same as before. only booting every 3rd or 4th time. When it did boot all looks good initially, starts with OCZ boot screen for HD, the keyboard lights up and seems to respond to the key board when it prompts to hit space bar to continue to mobo screens. Then right to the Mobo splash screen; for almost all different types of keyboards, the delete key would generate a beep from keyboard and most of the time the tab key would take you to another Dos looking screen with bios info but no other keys responded at all. I have tried different power supplies and every combination possible of keyboards, PS2, USB, and USB to PS2 converters, 1 stick of memory, 2 sticks and 4 sticks, with OCZ PCI HD in and without. It gives all the normal post beeps if you try to boot with no memory or whatever. It will run for hours on the splash screen; It feels like if I could somehow get by this one keystroke to adjust the boot settings, all would be fine. Even though it is 4 years old, the recent addition of new video cards and  it will max out 7.9 on windows performance index with only one 7.8. I really hate to have to junk this machine. Any other ideas?  Thanks in advance, Don M

The "OCZ PCI HD" caught my attention (a OCZ PCI SSD I assume, a Revo drive?) Is this your OS/Boot drive?

When is the last time you installed Windows, and what version are you using?

The OCZ Revo drives are not known for their stable operation. Yours may be starting to fail.

Your board has the Dr. Debug POST code display. When the PC hangs on the splash screen, what code is shown in the display?

It seems that POST is failing, since you cannot get into the BIOS. Your board has 12 SATA ports, do you have other drives in the PC that you have not removed for testing?

You seem to have cleared the CMOS/BIOS, or did you do that with the jumper recently? Removing/replacing the battery won't clear the BIOS like moving the jumper does. Your board has a CMOS Clr button on the IO panel, have you tried that lately?

When you clear the BIOS, you should be prompted to go into the BIOS on the next startup. But it seems you are not completing POST so the keyboard never works. Please check the POST code in the Debug display.

There is nothing wrong with the X79 platform, it is still respectable today IMO. With a Sandy or Ivy HEDT processor, it certainly isn't something you would junk without a fight.Thumbs Up

Edited by parsec - 21 Mar 2016 at 1:12pm
donmid94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donmid94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 9:12pm
I have taken it all apart now; really frustrated but I think when it failed to boot it settled on error code 68 "Pci host bridge initialization". When it does catch a boot and goes to splash screen it displayed 06 "microcode loading". When I take the OCZ pcie drive out and install it in a diff. machine with similar HD it booted to that drive so I don't think its the drive. All other drives and everything else was removed. I have reset cmos with jumpers and button on board.
Thanks for your help! I really don't want to can this rig.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:02am
What CPU are you using, and which UEFI/BIOS version is installed now?

You didn't happen to update the UEFI recently, did you? The Sandy to Ivy Bridge UEFI/BIOS update can cause problems if not done correctly.

You've tried different keyboards, but what about the mouse you are using? If you have a simple, wired mouse, the more basic the better, connect it to a USB 2.0 port on the IO panel. Also, keep the PS2 keyboard connected.

You mentioned using a new video card, how long has that been in place? Ever try using another video card, such as your previous one? If you swap cards again, clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC.

This may seem ridiculous, but did you ever press the Reset button on the PC case when you are stuck on the splash screen?

The 68 POST code worries me, as a potential failure of the board. The 06 code is usually related to memory, but how all your memory could fail at once makes no sense. Plus you would not get as far as you do in POST if the memory was bad.
donmid94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donmid94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 8:05am
Thanks again for the help. Here is CPU info: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E Quad-Core 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W.  I have never had to mess with the bios or flashed bios previously. I cant really confirm what version is installed now as it wont go past splash screen but more than likely whatever came with the chip in 2012. I never did try to connect a mouse to the board as I figured I wouldn't need it unless it some how booted to windows. I never thought of the mouse as being required for these early boot sequences. The video cards are these: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 02G-P4-2966-KR 2GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+. I had 2 connected in SLI but have switched to only one for troubleshooting. I have never had any issue with them and have tried switching out between them during troubleshooting. on the last round, I have been working on the board outside of case but it has a reset button on the board; I'm sure ive tried that. I guess it must be the board gone bad...
Thanks again for your help, Don M
donmid94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donmid94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 8:48am
It was running windows 7 64 bit always kept updated but I think it was the original install of windows. Here is info on HD: OCZ RevoDrive 3 series PCI-E 240GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) RVD3-FHPX4-240G . I used these drives in 2 machines from around the same era and have never had any issues; a little tricky to install windows on one. After that they do nothing but scream they are so fast. As I said before I took the drive out of machine that does not work and installed on other machine and it booted to the different drive fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic