ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting Secure boot issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting Secure boot issues
    Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 8:14pm
I have an Asrock H470 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard, and when I set secure boot, it either reboots to UEFI or tries to go on the internet. If during Startup I use the F11 key to go choose what disk to go to, it shows nothing is available to boot from.
I run Linux Mint as My daily Operating System, it sits on the M2 Drive, and also on that M2 Drive I have Manjaro installed.   On an SSD in my computer, I have Windows 10 Pro. The Only reason I have Manjaro installed is that It has the best Grub startup I have found, this Grub allows you to restart to the same OS, no matter which OS you have chosen to go to in the startup procedure, with No intervention from the user during that startup.

So my question is, How do I set up Secure Boot so it goes to the M2 drive when the computer cannot even detect it?
Palladini
Video Editor
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 10:44pm
Dear Palladini,

Is your OS installed in UEFI mode?
Before you install the OS, set CSM in the BIOS to disabled, when you then install the IS, it will be installed in UEFI mode.
And what happens when only a clean Windows 10 installation is done on the bootdrive, without any additional drivers.
If Windows 10, with the chipset driver, works, the problem had to be found in the other OS, and you could best use the open source forums
Kind Regards
Palladini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 2:10am
When I set it to Secure boot, and I have done this a few times over the past weeks, it sets the place to 1) the internet, 2)just circle back to UEFI. Every time before the secure drive is set, I have set it to go to the M2 drive, and it never does when set to Secure boot
Palladini
Video Editor
Palladini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 2:12am
I also have no idea what setting your OS to UEFI means
Palladini
Video Editor
Palladini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 4:19am
I shot a video of what happens when I set up Secure boot on this desktop Computer- https://youtu.be/YNHAhnoqTQ4
Palladini
Video Editor
Palladini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 1:25am
So I just talked with the Computer store owner, who says Windows 11 is Junk and he has seen many issues arise with it with new off-the-shelf Computers sold with Windows 11 on them. So with that being Known, I will not set secure boot up on this computer. When Windows 10 Support ends, I will format the SSD drive and be done with windows forever
Palladini
Video Editor
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 6:47pm
When you create a USB stick for Windwos 10 or 11 using the media creation tool, you can install it in 2 modes
1. MBR mode
2. GPT mode, also called UEFI mode
When you set CSM to disabled (your graphics card should support GOP (Graphics Output Protocol), and you install windows, it is installed in GPT mode
When CSM is enabled, you have a choice
In the bootmenu (f11)you will see the USB device twice in the list, for example using a Kingston HyperXUSB stick with Windows instalaltion files
It will find USB Kingston Hyperx to boot from
And it will find a UEFI kingston hyperX to boot from
When you select USB Kingston HyperX, Windows will be installed in MBR mode
When however you select UEFI Kingston hyperX, Windows will be installed in GPT (UEFI) mode

Windows 11 ugrade demands, that Windows 10 is installed in GPT mode.
If this is not the case, you can use a microsoft tool like mbr2gpt to convert MBR into GPT, but it's not always working.
For Windows 11 you need the following BIOS settings
1. CSM disabled
Under Security Intel Platform Trust technology must be set to enabled
Under Advanced>> Trusted Computing, Enable security Device Support, then save with f10.
Now Secure boot should work
Kind Regards
Palladini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 10:10pm
As My Computer is set right now, I start it up and goes through boot up and the shows gub, which means if I went to my Bios on Startup, and went to Boot, you would see it is set to the M2 drive for Startup. I have every time, disabled CSM because when I go to set Secure Boot, it tells me to do so, then restarts it. But when that is all said done, it lists the Hard drives I have in my system, which there are 7 Internal and 2 External and an SSD and an M2 drive, but it does not list the last two items listed.
https://youtu.be/YNHAhnoqTQ4
Palladini
Video Editor
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 6:27pm
does your PC boots when CSM is disabled?
you will need bootable UEFI mode operating system on GPT drive (efi partition with efi boot loader(s))
if it doesnt boot with CSM disabled, then easiest way to make it working would be wiping your drive and installing linux/windows when CSM is disabled, that will install it in UEFI mode

btw windows 11 does not need secure boot to be enabled, it just needs uefi mode (csm disabled + intel platform thrust technology enabled)

anyway for secure boot, change user mode to custom/user, then clear secure boot keys and install default platform keys, this should be enough to make secure boot working
Palladini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 10:11pm
I just tried that, I had my computer running, I restarted it, went into my BIOS and set CSM to off, and restarted my computer. In this restart it went through the Bios Screens, then right to My Bios again, I did not touch the keyboard during this startup.
As soon as I disable CSM, all of the settings I had to boot from the M2 drive disappear from the bios
Palladini
Video Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic