ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H310CM-IB 5 beeps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H310CM-IB 5 beeps
    Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 4:38am
First, I can't even find this motherboard the ASRock website. The only one that comes up in a Google search is the H310CM-DVS

Anyway, I keep seeing that the 5 beeps is for a missing graphics card, but this should have built in graphics from what I understand, I mean, it's an intel CPU. Still, even when I do put a graphics card in, I still get the 5 beeps.

I also read it can be CPU related, which if so, this will be the first bad CPU in 18 years of repairing computers, so I doubt it's that.

But, all the posts I found about the 5 beeps were for AMD CPU's, which this is not.

Can someone please help?
Intru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 8:33pm
It´s not easy to say 100% what it is, if you dont have it in your own hands or better i cant say it 100% because i dont have it in my hands

I work since Commodore C64 times with Computer Hardware and i see a lot of broken prozessor... most of them was AMD, Cyrix and Intel what because OC over the normal specifications... or CPU is overheated because dirty not turning properly fan or failed fan and or cooler covered with dust under the fan. Clean with compressed air

so i dont think it is a problem from CPU.

What i would try first was changing GPU and watch what happend. If GPU broken, you get error code because broken GPU = missing GPU. If you build GPU out, its missing too.

Another possible troublemaker could be the power supply unit.If PSU is faulty, then the system get not enough energy for the GPU and you get same error code.

In this both case it is very easy to check the error with changing GPU / PSU with other "testing" parts. If you have "old" parts from last computer over, you can check it very easy and fast.

Maybe someone in familie or friends can borrow you this items for few minutes.

If both not work, then check the motherboard for defective electrolytic capacitors. Most of the electrolytic capacitors are solid, but there are 2 "normal" electrolytic capacitors installed in the bottom left corner of the motherboard. They may be swollen (thick) or burst at the top. Then sometimes something brown comes out.
if such an electrolytic capacitor is defective, simply solder both out and replace them with identical ones. They tend to break down over the years. Are cent items and therefore also very cheap.

Defective electrolytic capacitors are also one of the main reasons why power supplies break. you can also very easily exchange these defective electrolytic capacitors for fresh ones, but with the power supply I would rather have an electrician do this work! Not because I wouldn't trust you, but because something like that can be dangerous! Even when the power is off, the capacitors store the power in the components for a period of time. It's just a little warning

these are the things or work steps that I would work through now.

However, the prerequisite is that you have components available for counter-testing.

I wish you a lot of success and have a little bit fun with searching and eliminating the error
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 11:49pm
In addition to the above, try a different type of cable to the monitor and even a different monitor.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

GRPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 3:07am
I do thank you for the response, but as I stated in my post, I tried different GPU's.

I also asked, do I need a GPU? This is an Intel Core i3-9100 Processor, it has built in graphics, so why do I even need to try other GPU's? With built in graphics, I should be able to use the onboard graphics, which I did, I removed the GPU and still have the same 5 beeps.

I too have been doing this for a while, I had a Commodore VIC-20 that I had expanded memory to play bigger games. I've been repairing computers since 1998 and owned an actual business for the last 18 years, I have several PSU's and GPU's laying around just for testing.

I do appreciate the response, but what I want to know is what does the 5 beeps mean.

When I work on Dell or HP computers and get beeps, there are specific beep codes for specific problems, like if I'm getting 2 beeps on a dell, it means the memory is the issue, so what I'm asking is, what do the 5 beeps on the ASRock board mean?
GRPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 3:12am
Originally posted by RLGL RLGL wrote:

In addition to the above, try a different type of cable to the monitor and even a different monitor.

I thank you for responding but as I said, I'm getting 5 beeps when I turn it on, that means it's not making through POST, so the monitor or cable has nothing to do with it at all.

What I'm asking is, what do the 5 beeps mean?

Like I explained in my last response, when I work on a dell, if I get 2 beeps, it means something is wrong with the memory. There are a specific number of beeps for specific problems, so what I am trying to find out, as I asked in my original post is, what do 5 beeps mean?
Intru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 7:49pm
I write it with the GPU because i didn´t know if you have CPU with integrated GPU. Now i know it

In this case, you dont need (normaly) an external GPU...
unless you have configured the bios in such a way that the system does not automatically accept the selection and you have specified this selection yourself. If you now tell the system that you have an external GPU, it will be entered like this. If it's missing... I don't know how your mainboard behaves then and whether it automatically uses the GPU from the I3.

In this case I would also reset the bios.

Disconnect the computer from the power supply - press the power button to empty the residual voltage of all capacitors and change the jumper for the bios reset... (you find infos in the doku from Motherboard) and wait at least 30 seconds. This should be enough time.
If you like, you can also take out the bios battery (the round silver one over there).

After that you can try again with a "clean" bios.

Would also be a good idea too.
------------------------------------

If I remember correctly, the beep codes are not standard. sometimes there are different meanings from manufacturer to manufacturer. sometimes even different from board to board - at least that was the case in the past. then there were short and long codes... sometimes the meanings were also in the manual.

for example
Aptio 4 - 5 beep - No Console Input or Output Devices are found (Supermicro Boards - Intel's UEFI EDK)
HP Bios - 5 long beeps ram error
AMI - Bios - 5 short beeps could be CPU
Award Bios - 5 short beeps could be CPU or Video Ram... 2 different Errors and 1 Beep Code....
GRPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Intru Intru wrote:

I write it with the GPU because i didn´t know if you have CPU with integrated GPU. Now i know it

In this case, you dont need (normaly) an external GPU...
unless you have configured the bios in such a way that the system does not automatically accept the selection and you have specified this selection yourself. If you now tell the system that you have an external GPU, it will be entered like this. If it's missing... I don't know how your mainboard behaves then and whether it automatically uses the GPU from the I3.

In this case I would also reset the bios.

Disconnect the computer from the power supply - press the power button to empty the residual voltage of all capacitors and change the jumper for the bios reset... (you find infos in the doku from Motherboard) and wait at least 30 seconds. This should be enough time.
If you like, you can also take out the bios battery (the round silver one over there).

After that you can try again with a "clean" bios.

Would also be a good idea too.
------------------------------------

If I remember correctly, the beep codes are not standard. sometimes there are different meanings from manufacturer to manufacturer. sometimes even different from board to board - at least that was the case in the past. then there were short and long codes... sometimes the meanings were also in the manual.

for example
Aptio 4 - 5 beep - No Console Input or Output Devices are found (Supermicro Boards - Intel's UEFI EDK)
HP Bios - 5 long beeps ram error
AMI - Bios - 5 short beeps could be CPU
Award Bios - 5 short beeps could be CPU or Video Ram... 2 different Errors and 1 Beep Code....

It's not called a BIOS reset, it's actually called clearing the CMOS.
This motherboard has no jumpers to clear the CMOS, but I did find 2 solder joints where the jumper pins are supposed to be. Seeing as how the customer was already planning on a new motherboard, I decided it can't hurt to use a screw driver on the solder joints to short them out, and it worked. After shorting out the solder joints, it booted up perfectly.

As far as the beep codes, I know each manufacturer has their own beeps codes. I can find the beep codes for HP, Lenovo, Dell, ASUS by going to their site, and I have them in my notes, but I can't find them for ASRock, which is why I came to this forum. I wish I could still get them for ASRock so I can add them to my notes with the other manufacturers beep codes. I keep notes on things like this, it makes it easier to run my business.
Intru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 2:57am
Originally posted by GRPC GRPC wrote:

It's not called a BIOS reset, it's actually called clearing the CMOS.
This motherboard has no jumpers to clear the CMOS, but I did find 2 solder joints where the jumper pins are supposed to be

Bios reset and clearing the CMOS is the same - for me ^^
Sorry i dont remember the right english words :D

Originally posted by GRPC GRPC wrote:

Seeing as how the customer was already planning on a new motherboard, I decided it can't hurt to use a screw driver on the solder joints to short them out, and it worked. After shorting out the solder joints, it booted up perfectly.

my mainboards usually have 3 pins for clear CMOS and there is usually always a jumper on pin 1/2 and pin 2/3 is free. You then have to disconnect the power and eliminate the residual current and then reposition the jumper. But the screwdriver works pretty well too. It's just the "dirty" version of the jumper. Some get nervous and start shaking and in the worst case they damage something.

But the best thing is when everything works properly again. I also think that such codes should be listed in the manual, but the manufacturer makes more money from the sale of new hardware or service and not from people like you and me keeping the hardware running for decades
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic