FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme 6 and RAM compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 1:15am
That is very odd, the RAM you listed is 1.5v DDR3 which should work in your board. I could understand if it required more voltage like some DDR3 kits but it is the standard DDR3 voltage. I assume you have already repeatedly removed and reseated the RAM seeing as by your parts list and your post you seem to know what you are doing. I would suggest replacing the stock cooler for your CPU (reseat that while you are at it) and test the first RAM slot too, if that works then put the other stick in slot 3. Gskill is a reputable brand that supplies quality memory that should work in your board so you may be looking at either a bad batch of RAM or a defect on the motherboard. If you have some other RAM (known working) to test that would be useful too.

Edited by Xaltar - 05 Jun 2015 at 1:16am
mydogmuppet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mydogmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 1:02am

A new build. It was never this difficult before. I think I should just stick to jigsaw puzzles. Am too stupid for all this. Fractal Design R4, ASRock Z97 Extreme 6/A, 1 x Samsung EVO 500gb SSD, 1 x OCZ Arc 100 256Gb SSD, assorted HDD x 5, i5 4690, be quiet L8 630W, be quiet Dark Rock cooler, crap monitor. And RAM (2 x 8Gb) that I cannot get to work as intended.

ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 with Bios P1.40 fresh out of the box. Factory settings. i5 4690 also out of the box. RAM in Slots 2 & 4. As Cooler obscures Slot 1.

I tried my build with GSkill Ripjaws X - F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL (2 x 8Gb). Would only POST with 1 x 8GB installed. So at least I assume that the CPU is working. But would not POST with 2 x 8Gb.

This RAM was just now replaced with GSkill Ares 2 x 8Gb F3-1866C10D-16GAB. Shown as compatible by GSkill. RAM GSkill 8Gb module x 2. F3-1866C10D-16GAB

1. Listed on GSkill site as compatible with above motherboard.
2. NOT listed on ASRock site as compatible.

Error Code 55 from Dr Debug.
No POST, at all, even with only 1 x 8Gb installed.
Reset CMOS. No change.
We know CPU works from first attempt with 1 x 8Gb Ripjaws X - right ?

Now I get Code 55 = Indicating the RAM is not detected - incompatible.

HELP please.

(all suggestions on 2 x 8Gb RAM that does actually work on this motherboard gratefully recieved)

Muppet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic