ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme 7+ HDMI not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme 7+ HDMI not working
    Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 12:41am
I am having trouble with the HDMI on my build i7 6700 skylake and Z170 Extreme 7+.  The displayPort is working and I have Windows 10 running but cannot get it to recognize that I have a display attached to the HDMI.  I have tried multiple displays and cables with no luck. Here is what I have tried so far:

In the BIOS:
Changed default graphics from PCIX to Onboard
Enabled  Multi-Monitor

In Windows:
Downloaded and installed latest driver directly from intel site for the HD 530 integrated graphics

When I started the build I tried updating to the latest BIOS (2.60) but they system would not boot at all after what appeared to be a successful update.  I tried multiple times on this and another build with the same motherboard and got the same result each time.  It would not even boot into BIOS and the motherboard would cycle on and off.  I restored the BIOS back to the B version and it would boot back up.  Not sure if this is related to the video issue or not.

Any help is appreciated.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 12:57pm
You may have a defective HDMI output on your board. It should work fine with no intervention from the user at all.

Just to check, what is the display you are connecting to the HDMI output?

The following are a few suggestions for you, but the HDMI output should work without any configuration.

The IGPU Multi-Monitor setting is not meant to enable multiple outputs of the integrated graphics. Its purpose is to allow a video card in a PCIe slot and the integrated graphics to both be functional at the same time. I understand that the name of this option gives the impression about it you have.

From the board's manual:

Select disable to disable the integrated graphics when an external graphics card is installed. Select enable to keep the integrated graphics enabled at all times.

While this option should not affect the integrated graphics HDMI output, try setting it to Disabled as a test, that is simple and free.

I also doubt the driver version should make a difference. But I noticed that Intel has a disclaimer about their video driver downloads. It states their own search results may not accurately match a driver to an OS version, and you must check the Readme file on the driver's page to verify OS support.

Newer is not always better, new software can have new bugs. Try the Intel graphics driver on the ASRock download page for this board as another test.

When you attempt to use the HDMI output and it fails, did you ever check Device Manager for any entries that might give you a clue regarding what is wrong? Same thing for the Intel Graphics Control Panel software, or the Windows Display option in Control Panel?

I use the Z170 Extreme7+ board, but I'm using a video card with it currently.

The 2.60 UEFI/BIOS update problems you had are not being reported by other users. I have not tried to update to that version yet. I'll do so to see what happens.

The UEFI backup from the B chip will have you with an early version. Have you tried to update to perhaps the 2.50 version?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic