ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170m Pro4s Quad Channel???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roovin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170m Pro4s Quad Channel???
    Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 4:25am
Hello all,

I recently bought this motherboard and I've been having a problem with running a 4gbx4 memory configuration. I get hardware errors and Memtest always fails set up like this. But when I use any configuration of just 2 memory sticks in the correct DIMM slots everything works perfectly.

Is it possible to somehow enable quad channel? 

Should I return the 4gbx4 memory and buy a 8gbx2?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Roovin Roovin wrote:

Hello all,

I recently bought this motherboard and I've been having a problem with running a 4gbx4 memory configuration. I get hardware errors and Memtest always fails set up like this. But when I use any configuration of just 2 memory sticks in the correct DIMM slots everything works perfectly.

Is it possible to somehow enable quad channel? 

Should I return the 4gbx4 memory and buy a 8gbx2?

All Z170 mother boards and Skylake processors support two memory channels, not four/quad memory channels.

You can still use two DIMMs per channel in your board, depending on the memory model and the memory speed.

I don't really understand what memory problems you are having. If memtest fails, you might have two bad DIMMs. The hardware errors you mentioned happen in Windows? Are all four DIMMs recognized in the UEFI/BIOS and Windows?

Did you buy the four 4GB DIMMs in a single set?

What is the full and exact make and model number of the memory you are using?
Roovin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roovin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 9:41pm
I'll try to explain my issues a bit more clear

DIMM's 1 and 3 make are paired and so are 2 and 4.
Any combination of the memory that I have (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104536) when put into slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 works just fine. So if only slots 1 and 3 are filled, it works fine. If slows 2 and 4 are filled, it works fine. Any combination like that works flawlessly and passes many varieties of Memtest's.

The issue I have is when I insert all 4 memory sticks into all 4 of the DIMM slots. When I do that I start to get memory errors and all the Memtest's fail. I have checked the BIOS and it recognizes that all 4 are there.Dead
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Roovin Roovin wrote:

I'll try to explain my issues a bit more clear

DIMM's 1 and 3 make are paired and so are 2 and 4.
Any combination of the memory that I have (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104536) when put into slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 works just fine. So if only slots 1 and 3 are filled, it works fine. If slows 2 and 4 are filled, it works fine. Any combination like that works flawlessly and passes many varieties of Memtest's.

The issue I have is when I insert all 4 memory sticks into all 4 of the DIMM slots. When I do that I start to get memory errors and all the Memtest's fail. I have checked the BIOS and it recognizes that all 4 are there.Dead

This post helps a lot, thanks.

The only thing that I'm not sure about now is this: Your link to your memory is a 4 x 4GB kit, which is listed in your board's memory support list. But what you said above makes me think you might NOT have bought a single 4 x 4GB kit, but two 2 x 4GB kits instead.

If you do not have a single 4 x 4GB kit, the problem might be caused by not using a matched set. That is not always required, but it can matter.

I don't see an XMP profile mentioned in the specs, so I assume this memory does not have one.

While Kingston states this memory can run at 2400 or even 2600 with 1.2V, you should definitely try increasing the DRAM voltage. For a start, try 1.25V. That is not dangerous, as all high speed DDR4 memory at 3000+ must use 1.35V. When four DIMMs are used, increasing DRAM voltage is not unusual in order to get the memory stable.

Also, check the VCCSA voltage in the Voltage Configuration section of the UEFI. VCCSA may need to be increased when more DIMMs are used, or when using higher speed memory.

Another setting you may need to change is MRC Fast Boot. Try setting it to Disabled, which will cause memory training to be done during POST. That can help with memory stability.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic