ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New build would post and now does not. "0d" error
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build would post and now does not. "0d" error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marttimat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build would post and now does not. "0d" error
    Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 1:27pm
Hey guys, I just joined the forums as I need some help! (I searched and did not see anything for what happened with my build)

I assembled my brand new build the other night and everything went along fine. 

Installed the MB into the case and verified CPU and RAM operation by booting into BIOS via on board graphics. Everything checked out and continue build and installed the GPU. 

Powered up and verified that build was a success with all components installed and everything being read by the BIOS. 

Then I moved the tower to its final place under my desk and connected the new keyboard, mouse and monitor (Used old ones lying around to make sure everything worked). Powered up again and was able to get to the load OS screen in DOS. 

This is where things failed me. I powered off the desktop and installed the Windows 10 USB drive to the ASRock 3.5" drive 3.1 USB slot and powered up. Nothing, system would not post. 

Opened up the side panel and the first error code was 55. Cleared CMOS and tried booting again without the USB installed and same result. Searched the interwebs for this alert and tonight performed the following:

Removed the cooler and the CPU and inspected for damage pins on the MB. None found. Removed the RAM and checked for any issues. None found. I then moved the two RAM sticks to the other DIM slots and booted to see if there was any change. Got code 19. Removed the one stick and now receive code "0d". 

Every variation of memory location and combination I now get "od" error code with no post. I removed the GPU and used on board video. Removed the keyboard and mouse. All the same 0d result. 

My guess would be RMA of the MB? The RAM is on the compatibility list and everything worked fine when the build was complete. All in all this stinks as this was my first complete build from top to bottom... 

Let me know what you guys think and thanks for the help!

Here is what I built:
MotherboardASRock Z170 Extreme7+ LGA 1151 Intel Z170
Motherboard BIOS version: Stock (never updated)
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 Intel Z170
MemoryG. SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 X 16GB) 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM F4-3000C15D-32GTZ
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Kingpin
SSD #1: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB
SSD #2Crucial MX200 1TB SATA SSD
Case: Fractal Design Define R5
Cooler: Corsair H80i V2
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus
Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W
Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 34??U3415W
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 1:59pm
I am sorry to hear you are having such a headache with the build. I think the best thing to do at this point is to remove the board from the system and bench run it. Make sure that there were no shorts under the motherboard (stray screws, misplaced standoffs). By your description it sounds like something may have shorted under the board as moving the RAM around seemed to change things (flex on the board when slotting them in/removing them). 

Take the board out of the case and place it on top of it's box and install only the CPU and 1 stick of RAM and see if you still get the error. 

If that fails then clear CMOS using this method (an hour should be enough) and try again. If there is still no joy you can try an RMA. Bare in mind that there is also the possibility that the CPU itself may be defective, we have seen that be the case a few times on the forums here but the board should be the easiest to RMA and is a little more likely to be the cause of the problem given how rarely CPUs go bad.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Xaltar - 18 Mar 2016 at 2:00pm
marttimat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marttimat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 7:58am
Thanks for the help!

I also read that updating the bios via Instant Flash may help? I am not sure if this would work seeing as I cannot even get the monitor to fire up. 

That is interesting you mention removing the board as I almost did that last night but instead loosened all the screws and hand tightened them back down to make sure there was no contact. 

If I did have a defective CPU would it operate normally like that and then shut down all together? I guess anything is possible. 

Thanks again for the all the tips!
marttimat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marttimat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:00am
Okay so I removed the board and clear CMOS like linked for one hour. Installed just the CPU one stick of RAM and powered on to "od" right away. Moved the RAM to all 4 slots with same result. 

So it seems to be either my MB (Most likely)  or my CPU. 

The only other option could be the BIOS version? looks to be 1.7 level which may not play nice with my current RAM? 

But I have no sure fire way to update this with the board not doing anything on first power. 

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
marttimat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marttimat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 1:03am
Replaced the ASRock MB with MSI MB. Still had the same issue. RMA the CPU and fixed the issue for the "0d" debug code and no boot. Hope this info will help someone in the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic