ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - z97e-itx/ac Compatibility Support Module issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z97e-itx/ac Compatibility Support Module issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artomason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z97e-itx/ac Compatibility Support Module issues
    Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 4:32am
Would there be anything that could cause this motherboard (z97e-itx) to beep 5 (long) times after settings the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) in the bios to disabled?

I have this annoyingly stupid and weird issue when my computer remains off for a while. When I turn it on, I will get 5 long beeps (I know what they mean) and will automatically turn CSM back on. If I leave this setting (CSM) enabled, I don't have any issues, but the resolution on my monitor clocks in at an ugly 1024 x 768 for the bios post. I'd like the crisp 1080p version.

I'm running an Intel Core i7 4790k (Intel HD4600) processor, and a EVGA HydroCopper 980TI. The system is not overclocked. With CSM enabled, there are zero issues except the extremely ugly post screen resolution. With CSM disabled, from a cold boot, I get 5 long beeps. Occasionally my primary display will go scrambled and not even the OSD shows up correctly. The biggest issue is that nothing really points to the other.

The only thing I can think of is the GTX 980TI or the z97e-itx bios have a uEFI issue that requires an update. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah.. Bios updated, reset bios, removed battery, tested ram, tested hard drive.

Edited by artomason - 28 Mar 2016 at 1:22pm
artomason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artomason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 1:22pm
Anyone?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 2:38pm
Once the error has occurred does it require a CMOS clear to function again or does the setting automatically enable itself? If the setting is automatically enabled does the system show you a message about "failed post press F2 or delete" or something to that effect? 

The fact that it is only happening at cold boot may mean that the CMOS battery was a dud. You could try replacing it and seeing if it helps the problem. CSM is enabled by default so if the system is losing it's UEFI values it could account for the problem you are having.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic