ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BIOS Bug: CD/DVD doesn't boot in certain setups
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Bug: CD/DVD doesn't boot in certain setups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 1:33pm
I would think if your situation was being caused by a BIOS problem, it would have been noticed by now by other owners, and ASRock would be aware of it. That is, given the age of this board. But I suppose it could be a BIOS problem.

Questions for you, and understand that I am going by the manual for your board regarding the options and settings in the BIOS. The manual may not reflect the BIOS options you currently have, due to BIOS updates that were not documented in the manual.

Are your HDDs and DVD drive all SATA devices, not IDE drives with an IDE to SATA adapter?

Are you using any true IDE drives, that use the 40 pin IDE ribbon cable?

What BIOS version are you using now?

When you first noticed this problem, did you try clearing the CMOS/BIOS? When you move the drives between different SATA ports, did you clear the CMOS/BIOS after moving the drives?

Are you confident that the SATA data and power cables are all working correctly?

In the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS, what is the SATAII Operation Mode option set to?

If SATAII Operation Mode set to IDE, what are the SATAII 1,2,3,4 Configuration and SATAII 5,6 Configuration options set to?

Does the BIOS have an IDE Device Configuration option available for any of your drives?

The Exit screen has several options such as, Load Performance Setup Default (IDE/SATA), and Load Performance Setup AHCI Mode. Have you used those options at any time?

When you boot from the DVD drive, do you hear it spin up to read the disk, but then only get the blinking cursor on the monitor?
nuc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 9:01am
Dear Forum members!

I have been a happy user of the ASRock P55 Deluxe3 for years now. Unfortunately I happened to come across a nasty bug:
I have noticed that my bootable CD/DVDs won't work in certain cable configurations, when using two HDDs.  For instance if I setup my drives like this:

SATA2_1 => HDD1
SATA2_2 => HDD2
SATA2_3 => DVD-Drive
or
SATA2_1 => HDD2
SATA2_2 => HDD1
SATA2_3 => DVD-Drive
or
SATA2_4 => HDD1
SATA2_5 => HDD2
SATA2_6 => DVD-Drive

booting the DVD will only give me a grey blinking cursor.

Setups like those work and let the drive boot:
SATA2_1 => HDD1
SATA2_2 => DVD-Drive
or
SATA2_1 => HDD2
SATA2_2 => DVD-Drive
or
SATA2_1 => DVD-Drive
SATA2_2 => HDD1
SATA2_3 => HDD2
or
SATA2_1 => HDD1
SATA2_2 => DVD-Drive
SATA2_3 => HDD2

So it only works when I am using either only one HDD, if I am placing the DVD-Drive into the middle, or if I place it first. It will not work when placed at the end with two HDDs. Did not try with more HDDs...

I think this looks like a definitive BIOS bug and I hope we can resolve it - it *should* be pretty easy to reproduce if you still have the mobo :) My next mobo shall be from ASRock again :P

Thanks in advance! Smile

Best regards,
nuc

Edited by nuc - 29 Mar 2016 at 8:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic