ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyway to put video card in #2 & still keep x16?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyway to put video card in #2 & still keep x16?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyway to put video card in #2 & still keep x16?
    Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 12:01pm
Is there any way to run the video card in PCI #2 but still keep it at x16?  Or will it always default to x8 if it's not in the 1st slot?

I have an Asrock x99m Extreme4

It has 2 PCIe 3.0 x16 & 1 PCIe 2.0 x16

It would be nice to free up the air space around the M.2 port since I will be watercooling and there will be little to no air flow around that area at all which wouldn't be good for an SSD if I end up using the M.2 slot.

Edited by thegreywizard - 29 Mar 2016 at 12:49pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by thegreywizard thegreywizard wrote:

Is there any way to run the video card in PCI #2 but still keep it at x16?  Or will it always default to x8 if it's not in the 1st slot?

It would be nice to free up the air space around the M.2 port since I will be watercooling and there will be little to no air flow around that area at all which wouldn't be good for an SSD if I end up using the M.2 slot.

That depends on the mother board and CPU you are using, which is... ??

I seem to recall you are using an X99M Extreme4, from another thread? Wink

If so, the PCIE2 slot is electrically x16, so a video card in that slot should run at x16.

No idea what CPU you are using. An i7-5820k with 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes might default the PCIE2 slot to x8, even with the PCIE1 slot empty. The other i7-58xxk processors won't have that concern.

You are correct that a lack of air flow over an M.2 SSD in the M.2 port will affect its temperature. If your PC case has a side fan that you can direct at the mother board, that will help keep an M.2 SSD cooler.

I've found that front to back air flow will also help keep M.2 SSDs cooler, as well as video cards.
thegreywizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 1:05pm
Yes I have the x99m Extreme4 and Intel 5820k

If I try it out and put the video card in slot 2, how can I tell if it's running x16 or x8?
GuruNot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuruNot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 4:31am
Maybe run something like GPU-Z:

Intel Core i7 5930K | ASRock X99 WS | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ | SM951 M2 NVMe | QPAD MK-85
DeathAdder Chroma | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | AX860i | Win 10 Pro x64
thegreywizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 5:33am
Ok I'll look into that.  I have an EVGA 970 GTX and I know a bunch of Nvidia software installed with it, is there anything within the Nvidia suite that shows the bus interface?
GuruNot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuruNot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 2:08am
Assuming you have GeForce Experience installed, right click the GeForce Experience icon in your system tray, click "Open Nvidia Control Panel"

Click System Infromation, bottom left, and you should see something like:

I am unsure if this reflects the current config of the system or the max config of the card.

Edited by GuruNot - 31 Mar 2016 at 2:21am
Intel Core i7 5930K | ASRock X99 WS | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ | SM951 M2 NVMe | QPAD MK-85
DeathAdder Chroma | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | AX860i | Win 10 Pro x64
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic